Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 advice/opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SloopG

Vessel Name
Take Five
Vessel Make
2002 Mainship 390
Hi

Considering buying a new Swift Trawler 34. Primarily Puget Sound cruises for my wife and myself. Would appreciate your feedback.

Let's just say, given the opportunity - read dollars - I'd have one like a shot…
Roomy, well thought out, as are all Beneteaus, and can go economically slow, or get-there-sooner fast. Also nifty rain collection facility to top up water tanks from the bridge deck.

Hi

Considering buying a new Swift Trawler 34. Primarily Puget Sound cruises for my wife and myself. Would appreciate your feedback.

My feedback is going to be negative. This isn't negative against the ST 34 but against it in your location. It's a reasonable Great Loop boat and it's ok inside Puget Sound, but I would hate to have a boat there and not be comfortable venturing to Alaska or down to the Columbia River.

Also, one of the positives of the ST is speed, but where you're using the boat, I don't see that greatly benefiting you versus say a Tug that could handle rough conditions better.

I just don't think of a Swift Trawler as a PNW boat.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you mentioned the NordicTug.

We had considered a used NordicTug 37 versus a new Swift 34 because we want the three cabin configuration. Not planing any open water cruises and typically do long weekend type trips. Prefer the benefits of a new boat under warrantee with newer tech/construction versus the equipment repair and replacement needs of a 10-15 year old boat.

We are moving over from a 36' sailboat and this will be our first powerboat. Our preference is for a semi-displacement hull.

I was in Dusseldorf when the boat was intro'd, and on the latest one about two weeks ago here in FL. Really nice boat but cramming two staterooms in there is confining. The size of the master berth is too small for us. Galley and storage tight. Love the majority of the features though. A better FL boat than PNW. In comparison, I think for the money I'd look at some other single stateroom 34's.

Some friends have a Swift Trawler 34 here in Vancouver and are very happy with it. They are cruising in the local areas and as far as Desolation Sound with no problems.

Seems to be a nice boat for a couple. Do you have particular questions? I could see if I can track down an answer for you.

Thanks. Can you ask your friends with the Swift 34 a few questions for me:

What do they like/dislike about the Swift 34?
Are there any options they wished they got or didn't get?
What sound and weather conditions would they not go out in
What other trawlers did they consider and why they selected the Swift

Thanks

Thanks

SloopG...

We are retired couple and primarily extended weekend boaters but do travel often and frequently for a month at a time - all inland lakes, canals, St Lawrence seaway & great lakes
We looked at the ST34 casually but wrote it off fairly early primarily due to cost w/ basically only new being available (in the hardtop version we were interested in) vs other used that were closer to our budget.
- We didn't like that it has a "wet head" vs separate shower
- I didn't like the engine access - having to move salon furniture & open hatches to get below
- The second "stateroom" was not important to us
- I thought the overall design, layout, generous walkaround, stbd side tuna door were very well thought out.

Other boats we considered were: Sabre / Backbay - very nice fit, finish & layouts w/ higher price point than Benetau's but there were several used ones available that were in excellent condition.

We talked about & looked casually at 34 tugs - things we didn't like...
in the 34 ft size range some/all? had no continuous walkaround for canaling / locking - had to go through pilot house / salon to get from fwd to aft
Speed limitation - we wanted to make Great Lakes crossings in half day max vs full 8 hr+ day trips

We also looked at - and ended up w/ a Mainship 34HT - I was fortunate and found a 1 owner fresh water boat that had 110 hrs on the engine & gennie and original labels on the stove & microwave and a motivated seller!
I do like the MS cockpit engine access hatch which doesn't disrupt salon traffic at all and makes routine checks & access to storage easy
The separate shower has been wonderful.

Our "right" answer is not the correct one for everyone but it has worked well for us. :dance:
You are smart to consider all of your options and +/- based on how you will be using the boat and what your priorities are.:thumb:

Are there any options they wished they got or didn't get?
What sound and weather conditions would they not go out in

Thanks

I passed the questions along and will let you know when I get a response.

Captain and I had an ST 34 for 3 1/2 years before upgrading to a ST 44. We put over 300 hours on the boat and loved it. Economical to run for a "speedy" trawler and never experienced sea conditions that she could not handle nor made us feel uncomfortable. We traded ours in and it was sold with 3 weeks. Felt like a "big" 34' boat.
Good luck

My feedback is going to be negative. This isn't negative against the ST 34 but against it in your location. It's a reasonable Great Loop boat and it's ok inside Puget Sound, but I would hate to have a boat there and not be comfortable venturing to Alaska or down to the Columbia River.

Also, one of the positives of the ST is speed, but where you're using the boat, I don't see that greatly benefiting you versus say a Tug that could handle rough conditions better.

I just don't think of a Swift Trawler as a PNW boat.

I have a friend who has one and he goes back and forth between Puget Sound and Alaska every year. He's on his way up to Alaska right now. I believe he's enjoying his boat very much. He does say that he has to fill it every other day when heading north.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I agree with Bacchus. The engine access of the Mainship 34 is wonderful and the walk around is very nice. Check out the Nordic 37. Also very nice & 2 cabins and a Cummins engine.

Our charter club had a ST34 and we chartered it several times and for it's size it is great boat and feels bigger than it is. I agree with all the other things said and will not repeat. It handled great and loved the fly-bridge and one of the reasons it felt bigger. Our club just added a Marlow Mainship 37 and we chartered it a couple of weeks ago. Between the two, personally I would pick the ST34. I have chartered a Nordic Tug 37 and 42 and loved them both. I would definitely pick a used NT37 over a new ST34, especially if you could find a NT37 fly-bridge. The Tugs are much more seaworthy with higher quality materials and fit and finish. I am chartering an American Tugs 41 in a couple of weeks in the PNW to compare to the NTs. I have been chartering for the past three years to narrow in on what I want to buy and a Tug with a fly-bridge is my favorite so far.

So is the conclusion so far that the ST34-37 would be a viable boat for passages in the PNW?

So is the conclusion so far that the ST34-37 would be a viable boat for passages in the PNW?

Absolutely...just as long as you don't set a schedule in concrete, and wait for sensible weather windows.

Well to bring this around full circle, we decided to hold off on a Swift 34 to do more research. We like the design, two staterooms and standard gear included but the comments about the boats construction and quality make us pause.

Any observations on how it handles in moderate chop or sloppy conditions? Starting to think that it's more of a power boat for close range cruising.

SloopG

I'm confused about the comments regarding "sea worthiness" and the NT's "better handling of rough conditions". You folks realize both NT's and Swift's are planing hulls?There's nothing "semi" about either of them. 17-20 knot speeds are not semi anything regardless of marketing hype.

Some of you talk as though the Swift is a ski boat best enjoyed on mill ponds and small lakes and the Nordic Tug is some mystical unicorn powered battleship, ready to conquer nations at sea. Strip the cabins off both boats and the hulls are pretty similar. These are both nice boats.

We have the ST44 with very little boating experience. Maybe it's me but I do not consider this to qualify as a "blue water" trawler.

The reasons I say this is due to the range of about 350 miles and the way she feels in only 4'-5' seas, our max to date.

After reading the "Dauntless" (KK 47'?) thread and his recent trip across the Atlantic ocean, I KNOW that my vessel nor I are cut out for anything resembling that!

I do feel that the ST 44 is a perfect inland or coastal cruiser. Again, maybe it's me.

.After reading the "Dauntless" (KK 47'?) thread and his recent trip across the Atlantic ocean, I KNOW that my vessel nor I are cut out for anything resembling that!

By the way, Dauntless a KK42, and ready to make the return, I see.

After reading the "Dauntless" (KK 47'?) thread and his recent trip across the Atlantic ocean, I KNOW that my vessel nor I are cut out for anything resembling that!
I do feel that the ST 44 is a perfect inland or coastal cruiser. Again, maybe it's me.

No, that about sums up nearly all the boats on here, short of the larger KKs, Selenes, Nordhavns, and Flemings...and no doubt someone will come up with one or two others...like Diesel Ducks..?

For the price point I think its an excellent coastal vessel. They did a hybrid test in Passagemaker mag, not overwhelming review, but does give some interesting insight.

Well to bring this around full circle, we decided to hold off on a Swift 34 to do more research. We like the design, two staterooms and standard gear included but the comments about the boats construction and quality make us pause.
I think you've made a good decision.

I don't have a Swift, haven't cruised one or know anyone who has one but I did examine a new 44 when they first came out. I was looking to upgrade to a faster boat and spent quite a bit of time at a boat show examining the Swift 44. The lines of the boat were very nice and the published speed excited me but when I stepped inside the salon I was extremely disappointed. The decked "creaked" when I walked on it and the fit & finish were not up to my expectations.

I know this post will result in some Swift owners hitting the ceiling and I'm not saying that the boat is dangerous to operate at sea. I'm just saying that if one looks very hard at the construction, they would be better served by buying a used high quality boat for the same money.:ermm:

Interesting point Codger2, but in the brand new market I think there isn't a lot out there without a large jump in cost. Have a couple friends with Mainships and have heard others give similar reviews, but I can't help but notice the owners love them and travel all over and in the end isnt that what its all about, lets face it we all would love a Nordhavn, but not many could do justice to its sea keeping abilities tied up to a dock most of its life.

........ lets face it we all would love a Nordhavn, but not many could do justice to its sea keeping abilities tied up to a dock most of its life.
Count me in as "one" who does not lust for a Nordhavn. They are built like a tank, too tall to my eye and slow! Yes, they are truly an ocean crossing machine but like 99% of people who subscribe to this forum, they don't even make my top ten for coastal cruising boats I would consider.:hide:

Count me in as "one" who does not lust for a Nordhavn. They are built like a tank, too tall to my eye and slow! Yes, they are truly an ocean crossing machine but like 99% of people who subscribe to this forum, they don't even make my top ten for coastal cruising boats I would consider.:hide:

Count me in with you, except I think they're overrated as an ocean crossing machine. Don't get me wrong, I do think some of them are capable. But I don't think any more capable than many other boats. I do give them credit for a solid hull and structure. And I definitely don't lust for one.

On the other hand, I recognize that for many they are the dream and turn out to be great boats for those owners. I think it's good that different brands of boats all have their following. The key is finding the one that is right for you and your needs.

We quickly steered away from Krogen and Nordhavn. Wonderful boats for a cruise we will never make. Also, given our budget, we would be looking at 10-15 year old boats with high engine hours and probably on the verge of needing some major updates or maintenance. We understand the trade off on the sea worthiness of a planing hull versus a full displacement hull. Prefer the extra knots to get home to our destination quicker or on a tighter timetable. Unfortunately, work typically expects us to show up on Monday morning.

SloopG

I think you've made a good decision.

I don't have a Swift, haven't cruised one or know anyone who has one but I did examine a new 44 when they first came out. I was looking to upgrade to a faster boat and spent quite a bit of time at a boat show examining the Swift 44. The lines of the boat were very nice and the published speed excited me but when I stepped inside the salon I was extremely disappointed. The decked "creaked" when I walked on it and the fit & finish were not up to my expectations.

I know this post will result in some Swift owners hitting the ceiling and I'm not saying that the boat is dangerous to operate at sea

I think that all of the posts so far on this thread are spot-on. The "creaky" flooring is a bit disconcerting but not a "deal breaker" for us. Heck, the GB Europa is nearly tripple the price.

I believe that we got what we paid for.

I believe that we got what we paid for.

I'm not at all being critical when saying the ST is a value boat. That's not to be interpreted as low quality. It does what it is designed for very well. It has good build but not the most expensive. Interesting that Beneteau purchased a similar builder in the US in Glastron, Four Winns, Wellcraft, and Scarab. Venerable value builder. I look forward to seeing some Beneteau manufactured in the US and think the grouping of the two entities will be very good for both sides worldwide. Suddenly Beneteau gets the US dealer network and Glastron and Four Winns get the worldwide network.

The Swift Trawler to me is a great loop boat and a very good coastal and bay cruiser. It is not the boat I'd want to take offshore in the PNW or cruise down the west coast. There's nowhere on the East Coast or Gulf (of Mexico) Coast, I wouldn't enjoy the boat. Even to the Bahamas would be fine with the right window as the boat has the speed to take advantage of a window.

I think the ST is an attempt to fill the void of no current day equivalent of the Bayliner models. I also believe that when they reach their objective of more stocking dealers in the US their sales will take off. Several of their US dealers have boats in stock for immediate delivery now. Unfortunately or maybe reflective of where they see their biggest openings, there are none on the West Coast yet. The nearest is either the Great Lakes or Texas.

Peter B is spot on re the PNW boat.

You can go safely to Alaska and back in a light plywood OB boat. I've done it and didn't suffer at all except for the camping lifestyle. We encountered 8' seas (head seas) and needed to keep our legs bent to absorb the shock loads. So comfort was poor but the boat did well.

People go in kayaks, rowboats with and w/o engines and sailboats .. not usually less than 24' but as Peter says waiting for weather is key. To me the downside of a fast boat is pounding and fuel burn. If one is OK w both most fast boats are a good choice especially if designed and built well.

Beneteau Swift - the thinnest laminate in the history of production boat building and nickel plated brass ball valves ....... suitable for protected fresh waters and inland lakes.

Back
Top Bottom