Bayliner 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap. That sounds terrible. With my single engine I have trouble holding in one place for long.

Is there not a feasible outside route so one could skip all the locks and assorted hooha?

Dimer2
Did you drop the 66 lb or the 33 lb anchor. Think I already know the answer.LOL Cardude-ain't no way to run outside in that wind.

Cardude, ddalme is right, the winds suck on the La/Tx coast this time of year, so my plan to run Venice - Vermillion - Beaumont, was not to be. On the bright side, I am a better captain today than I was yesterday and yesterday better than the day before. But joking aside, I believe the experience has marred the entire trip and Michelle is already talking about meeting me in Gulfport next time. She did an amazing job not only handling lines but in helping plan each day, taking her turn at the helm and even letting me get an hours sleep in the middle of the GOM in a thunderstorm. She amazes me daily!

Again, even if you decide on the lock route, if you can wait on weather, it would have been a whole lot easier and I plan on doing it again. (albeit east to west is far easier in my book). I also really paid attention to look for some gunk holes where you could break the trip into smaller segments but they are few and far between and the ones that are there can easily be full when you arrive. (Which is why ddalme got home at 3:30 am, when Morgan city was full). On the bright side, this trip is done by pleasure boats every week. We saw other boats here and there but actually never saw another boat out there except for ddalme. They were smart....Waiting On Weather!!!

Welcome aboard Mark(markic) from Brisbane. Hope you enjoy your time on TF and find the 4788 of your dreams.

Yes Mark, welcome to the forum!

Cardude, I forgot to mention, an AIS is critical (IMO) as your radar will not see around the corners with all the tall trees and when the nose of that barge comes around the corner, the captain is still several hundred feet away so cannot see you.

So most of the trouble was due to the high winds? If the winds were normal would it have been pretty easy? We went through the Okechobee locks and thought they were easy, but there wasn't much wind.

I don't have AIS so I guess that's next on my list. More money! Yeah!!!

It would be nice to catch it really calm and make a few big open water crossings and skip all the inside, but maybe that's not realistic. I often wonder if August would be a good time to try that-- August can be pretty flat as long as no tropical activity is around.

Another thing, Cardude, is that your boat has a much lower profile than a 4788 and a big arse keel as well. True, it's also a single engine, but by that time you'll have a stern thruster, AIS, and a host of other high-buck accessories added to that boat!

but by that time you'll have a stern thruster, AIS, and a host of other high-buck accessories added to that boat!

I did buy some new house batteries. Wanna help me carry them to the boat? ?

Cardude, now that I have had a good nights sleep.... All you really need is;

The Waterway guide and appropriate charts. The guide does exactly that, guides you step by step through each of the sections, with the lock and bridge names, hailing channel etc. They will not respond to "bridge at MM 78" they want the name right.
An AIS (I am going to keep repeating that!)
A good chart plotter as places like Morgan city has about 5 different rivers and canals all leaving/joining there and it can get confusing.
A good mate or crew member. My hat off to guys that do this stuff single handed.
A hand held or dual frequency radio. Mississippi traffic control will ask you to monitor channel 67 (or 68?) and channel 12. Same with Berwick traffic control. When you approach locks and bridges they are normally channels 14 and 13 respectively.
Plan your day, with alternatives. One lock was being 'greased' and had everyone backed up which I was fortunate enough to make up with $$rottle.
Have a beer with someone who has done it and pick their brains. ( I am available and run about 3-4 beers an hour).
Make sure you have Steve's number in Houma. He is a great guy!

Cardude, now that I have had a good nights sleep.... All you really need is;

The Waterway guide and appropriate charts. The guide does exactly that, guides you step by step through each of the sections, with the lock and bridge names, hailing channel etc. They will not respond to "bridge at MM 78" they want the name right.
An AIS (I am going to keep repeating that!)
A good chart plotter as places like Morgan city has about 5 different rivers and canals all leaving/joining there and it can get confusing.
A good mate or crew member. My hat off to guys that do this stuff single handed.
A hand held or dual frequency radio. Mississippi traffic control will ask you to monitor channel 67 (or 68?) and channel 12. Same with Berwick traffic control. When you approach locks and bridges they are normally channels 14 and 13 respectively.
Plan your day, with alternatives. One lock was being 'greased' and had everyone backed up which I was fortunate enough to make up with $$rottle.
Have a beer with someone who has done it and pick their brains. ( I am available and run about 3-4 beers an hour).
Make sure you have Steve's number in Houma. He is a great guy!

Stayed up too late watching the Rockets so not sure how good my sleep was...

Waterway Guide-- that's probably what I need so I can read up on it and get a general idea. Thanks.

Have a new Garmin plotter. Plus an iPad with Garmin Blue Charts and Active Captain. Have the radios. No AIS but guess I will bite the bullet.

I did a three day single handed trip from Lauderdale to Okeechobee and negotiated countless bridges-- my air draft is only 15' tho so many didn't have to open, and it was never very windy. I did ground myself once trying to hold for one bridge. Drifted out of the channel.

Will try to get the wife to crew, if not maybe one of the kids. Maybe the dog.

I'm actually looking forward to some open water crossings-- I really enjoyed the monotony of the Okeechobee Lake crossing where I pretty much set the AP and just chilled for 4 hours. No other boats. No jet skis trying to jump my non existent wake. But it was flat calm so that helped add to my zen-like experience. Not sure if I will reach the same zen status in a big beam sea with all my stuff flying around the cabin, but we shall see.

Oh, and I'm in on the beer at 3-4 per hour at the dock. I've sworn to myself I will not drink while underway however. Too much that can go wrong IMO.

Last edited:
I agree on the drinking underway...regardless of form of transportation. You should google earth some of these locks, the last one west bound in particular. You will be amazed.
We docked at Beaumont around 13:00 today. I took a shower and slept like a baby. We are HOME!!

Dimer2, glad you finally made it! Sounds like you had an "interesting" voyage to say the least!

Dimer2, glad you finally made it! Sounds like you had an "interesting" voyage to say the least!

Thank you, it feels good to be "home". How did your sea trials go? Stop by when you are next in the area.

Sea Trials went well, found a few issues in the survey so cut the offer by 3 grand...owner agreed and currently now waiting for the USCG to complete the abstract. Hopefully, back to Rockport to take possession next week. Then a couple weeks in Rockport to effect what I feel are immediate necessary repairs for the voyage home...ie: replace some belts and hoses.

Glad y'all made it back safe and sound. Sounds like it was an interesting trip!

Now that I think about it, I think I saw your Jarvis Newman in Clear Lake some time back. Was it docked next to Little Yacht Sales at one point? If so, impressive looking boat.

What's the name of the lock I need to google map?

Other 4788's for Sale?

Incidentally Kevin, I joined the BOC about 2 months ago when doing my research. Great site! Also a plug for Pau Hana, who managed to customize an insurance plan to suit my cruising needs, in a very short time and a very competitive rate and who after reading this will probably give me an additional discount :)

Hello dimer2. I would like to ask you about other 4788's that you may have looked at in your search. Can you please email me at kmm2u@mchsi.com. Thank you for your time!!

Ya gotta say it was a very successful maiden voyage in your new 4788. Lots of learning and challenges....it's all good. Congrats!

sammy999 email sent.
Thanks Larry, sorry we missed you!

Back
Top Bottom