Getting Someones Attention From Fly Bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've explained this before and if one is really interested the detailed explanation can be found in the archives.

In a nutshell, it's because we both hate the sight picture from up there for close-in maneuvering, much preferring to be at main deck level for this where we find it much easier to judge distances, speed, and inertia. Also, we narrowly averted a boat fire while we were driving from the upper helm because my wife happened to go below to get something and smelled what was going on. We prefer to operate the boat from a position where we can immediately hear, feel, and smell anything that might be wrong.

Us TOO. Nice summary.

The fly bridge feels disassociated to us.

I share this sentiment, but found the FogMate to be the perfect compliment to a boat's horn. I had installed it with my electric AFI horns and it worked fine, but the bass trumpet of the AFI failed and I sounded like the roadrunner (beep-beep) passing through the fog. When Twistedtree put his Kahlenbergs up for sale on TF, I jumped on them...much to the chargrin of CPseudonym!

I now have those horns installed and the Fogmate sounds them in a regular cadence as required by the Nav rules. For about $100, Fogmate provides a simple, effective solution with an easy installation to utilize existing equipment.

Now if I need anyone's attention from the flybridge, a simple horn tap is more than enough!! (We also have family radios, floor knocking, radio intercom and get-up-and-get-it-myself installed onboard and in full working order.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until the Admiral sees this! A genuine butler's bell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 84
I just stomp on the deck. Lately I single hand most of the time, so I just walk down below and see to it myself.

If I just stomped on the deck, I'd be single handing too.

If I just stomped on the deck, I'd be single handing too.

Do you wear deck shoes while doing that, or does it matter if you're barefooted?

I have ratty old flip flops. Don't you remember them?

Brief everyone that a change in rpms means FB wants attention.

Yup. Works very well. On long passages, when the wife had the helm and I was in a deep sleep in the aft cabin, she only had to back off a few RPM on the engine and I was up immediately and up the ladder. Usually for nothing, though. "Look, John! Look at the moon! Isn't it beautiful?" :)

I have a very simple means of communication to the lower decks. I pass the message to the bridge messenger, he / she descends to the main deck and passes the message to the Chief Steward. The Chief Steward then delegates the passing of the message on to the recipient to one of the stewardesses.
A system that never fails and any reply from the recipient follows the reverse route.
Initially I had considered using one of the bridge lookouts to pass the message, but quickly realised that would compromise the requirement, under the international regulations for the prevention of collision at sea, to maintain an all round lookout.
I hope this helps

j

Floating, First off welcome aboard! It sounds like you'll fit right in with this bunch.

I once used your method of communication but my people were too slow. The beer arrived warm. Oh wait, you're in England, so not a problem for you.

(No I don't really drink while running the boat, I only drink while the helmsman is steering under the watchful eye of the first officer.)

If I really need something and the admiral is below decks, I yell at the top of my lungs and stomp on the deck. She yells back--"why are you yelling at me". I then take the next 10 minutes explaining that I wasn't yelling--just talking loudly enough to be heard, then I spend the rest of the afternoon soothing hurt feelings and the evening at anchorage waiting on her hand and foot. It seems to work well for her. Me, not so much.

I got the hailer intercom working before our last trip. I hit IC1 and was able to hear everyone talking in the salon. I activated the intercom and said, "I....hear...you!" To which my Daughter in law replied, "oh great no more privacy." Made me smile just a bit.

Floating, First off welcome aboard! It sounds like you'll fit right in with this bunch.

I once used your method of communication but my people were too slow. The beer arrived warm. Oh wait, you're in England, so not a problem for you.

(No I don't really drink while running the boat, I only drink while the helmsman is steering under the watchful eye of the first officer.)

Thank you for the welcome.
Being old fashioned I found an old fashioned remedy to encourage the staff to speed up. Flogging works a treat !!!!!!
And if you wash the deck down afterwards the blood doesn't stain the teak too badly.

On a more serious note I wouldn't dream of drinking alcohol until all lines are fast and the engines shut down for the day.

j

If I really need something and the admiral is below decks, I yell at the top of my lungs and stomp on the deck. She yells back--"why are you yelling at me". I then take the next 10 minutes explaining that I wasn't yelling--just talking loudly enough to be heard, then I spend the rest of the afternoon soothing hurt feelings and the evening at anchorage waiting on her hand and foot. It seems to work well for her. Me, not so much.

Must have missed this thread... came in at this post #74; plan to do cursory review of most previous posts. Must say... this post interests he greatly.

Poach - I'm in pretty much the same "boat" you are. :thumb:

In that... when I need to raise my voice or make other noticeable accompanying noises to be sure to be heard by my gal she too thinks I'm YELLING at her. What she finds difficult to get grasp of is that although for one reason or another I have need to yell for getting her attention and to make sure she understands my words - I am not yelling at her, but rather for her! Being that I was blessed with a booming voice that is audible for distances I have learned to “tone” it down for her (much as possible that is – lol) and she is better learning to realize that my increased volume is not meant to be yelling at her – at all. So far we are twenty (20) years into this co-op learning experience… OMG! :facepalm:

Seven years ago we had unexpected need for quick actions aboard our Tolly in a harbor with great winds that suddenly arose. Needless to say when there is calamity near-approaching and actions must be immediately taken to reach a positive outcome; as result, my commands become definite and voice amplification level goes off the charts. Anyway… after that incident, for which we came out clean, we anchored in different location. Took hours of my consoling/convincing her (tears ensued) that I was not yelling at her but rather for her so she could be sure all my needs were meet in that incident’s limited crunch-time that was allotted.

Proof that our communication skills are getting better honed into compatible sequences. Some months ago, very early morning, at dawn… there was another potential calamity filled circumstance that suddenly arose. She was still in full slumber in master state room with door closed. My voice hit full tilt bogie as I ascended to the bridge. Suffice it to say that she did get up immediately and worked on deck to assist my maneuvers for averting damage. At successful close of incident she was smiling, so was I; each because we had worked as the team we are and she finally realized I was not yelling commands at her but rather for her.

Amazing how pleasure-boat Captains will bend over backwards to make sure minute to minute / hour to hour/ day to day / year to year events on board boat and having to do with boating are pleasurable for their Admiral. Equally amazing how during really dangerous crunch-times all that keep em happy/fuzzy-feeling stuff instantly ceases and Orders from Captain MUST be followed to the “T”. I guess it’s the sudden change of relaxed warm n’ fuzzy feelings to DO-IT-NOW Orders that is difficult for our warm n’ fuzzy loven Admirals to clearly comprehend. We do the gentle voice warm n’ fuzzy items for them and ourselves too… we also, when required, do the loud command-orders for them and us too – That “loud demanding/commanding time sequance” keeps their and our asses out of some big, bad jambs!

For general doings when my voice gets loud (I simply never learned to whisper in general conversation) She will say – “You’re beginning to yell at me”. I simply say No – For You! Then I do try to lower my decibels… at least for a while! - LOL :dance:

Happy Communication Daze! - Art :socool:

Last edited:
LOL...I tried the foot stomp the other day and the Admiral popped up the Flybridge ladder to see what I wanted! Seemed very effective!

Back
Top Bottom