Problem with Oversize Photos in Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
EDIT: The image in this post should be viewable on your screen without sliding left or right. If it is not, see posts below.

TF Site Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else having issues with the pic above as in it is huge? I can see it on my laptop just fine. It does say the pic was automatically reduced but if you want to see the full image click the bar.:confused:

Pic is OK on my laptop.

nice picture and fish. I'm hungry

Has anyone else having issues with the pic above as in it is huge? I can see it on my laptop just fine. It does say the pic was automatically reduced but if you want to see the full image click the bar.:confused:

Huge on my PC. As are certain other posters pics. Never been able to figure out why.

Huge on my PC. As are certain other posters pics. Never been able to figure out why.

Horrable thread drift....maybe the Mods can tell us why some of you have big pics while the rest of us do not....Seperate sticky maybe?

Yea Mark's are big. I've alwys wondered too but never considered it "must know" information. Is large pics in any way undesireable? Seems to me the bigger the better. I like pics and bought a 27" I-Mac years ago. This text on my i-pad is really small though. However I can make it bigger w my fingers. Frequently I can't on Safari.

When I view this thread, half the picture spans my full screen, so I have to pan to the right to see the other half of the photo. Then all the text runs off right side, too. I have to pan left and right to read the text with such a big file uploaded.

I don't know a solution other than loading smaller resolution photos, but I'm looking into my Chrome browser settings to see if there's a fix.

Update: This photo is loading at 1600x1200 pixels. I can edit the object attributes on my screen to 800x600 and it restores the thread to what I consider a 'normal' view. But when I reload the page, it reverts back to the 1600x1200 resolution. It appears the issue is the photo res, not the website. Maybe it's the inability of my Chrome browser to resize the photo to a viewable size.

I am using MC Explorer, so that may be it or your settings on TF?

Chances are it is a browser setting issue if the photo was loaded using the forum software. Occasionally a ghost in the machine causes this with some folks browser. If so a moderator can edit the post and insert a carriage return between the text and the photo as that will sometimes appease the ghost.

OK, I found it...at least it works on my laptop.

On home page, click USER CP
EDIT OPTIONS
under Thread Display Options, last box should be
DEFAULT (ENLARGE IN SAME WINDOW)
Bottom of page, click SAVE CHANGES

Last edited:
OK, I found it...at least it works on my laptop.

On home page, click USER CP
EDIT OPTIONS
under Thread Display Options, last box should be
DEFAULT (ENLARGE IN SAME WINDOW)
Bottom of page, click SAVE CHANGES

Nope. That didn't do it.

But under that are two boxes that if you erase whatever number is in the boxes, even zeroes, so that the boxes are blank, click SAVE CHANGES, that does it.

Finally. Whew. Took two years. Will see if it holds up.

Last edited:
Fine here on my laptop. If I click View Full Size it goes huge. Perfect otherwise..

I'm using Chrome with no tweaking. It loads initially large then resizes with the bar to enlarge to full size. I like that feature. Bigger is better especially when looking at detail.

If it makes a difference, I'm using a netbook (Toshiba NB305 -- and the company quit making them, without consulting me to see if that was a good decision or convenient!) The NB305 uses just 15 watts of power, unlike my laptop that required either 7 or 9 amp hours. Ouch.

Anyway, for me on Chrome, the pictures here on TF are just fine.

Janice, on Cyber Monday, I found a deal on the ASUS netbook at Best Buy for $149. It runs Windows 8 but is not touchscreen. It's no powerhouse and uses a flash drive for storage, but with no spinning hard drive, its power consumption is very low and the battery lasts for a good 7+ hours.

It's a little slow at times, but so am I so we get along well together.

Thanks Al... I had two ASUS (there's a reason it's a four letter word aboard Seaweed) and both failed the same way. The screen started getting horizontal lines across it. Then vertical too.

The fix was to squeeze the screen (lower left corner up about an inch and sometimes it would work for a while) -- Not the screen itself but the edge. There's a connection there that fails.

Also, to do a hard boot, hold down control and I think it's F9 while restarting. Sometimes you get a screen to reboot that will reset the computer. There was a "hidden" F-drive on mine that I could access, but not always. It was quirky.

Those tricks worked back with a Win7 version of the ASUS netbook in 2010.

Except for it dying (twice, first at 4 months -- that was a refurbished unit with a 3 month warranty) and then I bought a duplicate figuring I'd have the peripherals doubled. Well, same issues but this time I had a warranty (NewEgg)

And then returned my loyalty to Toshiba. I've been with that company since 1992 or 93 (win3.1) and except for the foray with ASUS... well, I wish you well.

I might have to look at ASUS again or figure out a way to have a real keyboard with a tablet. I'm sure they exist -- saw one on ThinkGeek that was total coolness (no keyboard at all, just lights)

Note to Self: Stay off NewEgg and ThinkGeek.
TrawlerForum and Pinterest are enough trouble for me to enjoy!

With apologies for the foray off-topic.......

Horrable thread drift....maybe the Mods can tell us why some of you have big pics while the rest of us do not....Seperate sticky maybe?

The issue comes about because of the way the pics are loaded. If one uses the advanced reply window and then clicks on manage attachments, and loads the pics from there, (which basically just browses to you own computer inventory), then they appear as the smaller thumbnails pics, which can be clicked on to enlarge and toggle through like that.

When the pics appear already quite large, like you just did, and Mark Pierce always does, and able to be enlarged even further by clicking on the bar at the top, that means they have been added via a URL from the 'Insert Image' icon at the top of the reply window.

Either way works, but the large URL sourced ones do take up a larger amount of screen space, however, if the browser is set correctly one should still not have to use scrolling. I certainly don't on MacBook with Safari.
It is usually folk who are 'real' photographers, and have their pics already uploaded to some cloud-based server like 'flickr' who like to do it the latter way.

Does that help..?

The problem with oversize photos that force one to scroll left or right to see an entire post/photo must be linked to the nature of the individual device. On my Dell Latitude laptop (Windows) the large photos do not force the scrolling problem described by the OP. Nor does it exist with my Apple MacBook or my iPad, regardless if it's held in landscape or portrait orientation.

I personally prefer the smaller "thumbnail" photos in a post simply because the post takes up less vertical screen space to show the photos attached to it. I can always click on any thumbnail to enlarge it. But it's no big deal either way.

For posting photos to the forum I always reduce the original camera file to a width (or height for a portrait format photo) in Photoshop to 1000 or 1200 pixels.

Last edited:
I never have to scroll even when enlarging the photo. :rofl: :hide:

Nice fish!

Thanks Admins for starting a new thread. I will have to admit that the picture above was inserted by coping the photo from my blog, then pasting it to the TF window in the advanced forematt. I didn't use the browse/upload option.

Sorry I missed this thread earlier... the underlying issue is that we have a software add-in for the forum that reduces images sizes when very large ones are loaded. You may see on post one that you can click on the pic to enlarge. When you have a slow internet connection or the the page loads slowly, the image resizing gets done slothfully and so you may see the original size. Once the page loads fully you should see the compressed image and link to enlarge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom