Paper NOAA Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowsailNC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Deb
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
With NOAA out of the chart printing business I would like to find out if there is a difference between the authorized printers.

Thanks,

Gene

Gene, I sold NOAA charts for about forty years and I think the Ocean Grafix produced charts are much nicer. I haven't had a chance to play with the others now on the market.

For what it's worth, I just downloaded the PDFs of the charts I needed and printed them myself. I happen to have access to a 24" wide printer, so printed them all as 24x36". It's not their original sizes, but the chart and side scale still match so you can measure off distances with dividers just like their original size.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the PDFs to Staples and have them print them for you.

For what it's worth, I just downloaded the PDFs of the charts I needed and printed them myself. I happen to have access to a 24" wide printer, so printed them all as 24x36". It's not their original sizes, but the chart and side scale still match so you can measure off distances with dividers just like their original size.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the PDFs to Staples and have them print them for you.

You can also send them online to Fedex Office and I imagine to many other places to be printed for you.

Yes, that makes sense. The key is that all you need is a way to print. There is no longer any need for specialized printing or authorized anything. You could even print them tiled on 8.5x11 paper and tape them together. I do that right on the boat if I'm going exploring on shore or in the dinghy, just printing a blown up segment on regular letter size paper with the printer on the boat.

One thing I should point out is that it LIKE charts (any map for that matter). I like to look at them and prefer using a large chart to do my route planning.

My local Fed Ex is not that much less expensive when you ask them to print large scale, color on heavier grade paper.

When I go to the NOAA authorized printers I am seeing prices from $ 15.95 to $ 27.00 each for water resistant paper. What I am trying to find out is whether or not the higher prices get you anything extra (I suspect not).

Heck, I even like plotting a fix and a DR but then it could be my age.

Gene

Gene, I don't know what it costs to get a big chart printed at FedEx. I can tell you that Ocean Grafix printing and paper is very high quality. If you want a bunch of charts, it's worth asking a dealer for a quote. The dealer has to pay shipping to get them to his store. He can get several charts shipped for the same cost as one. This lowers his per chart cost.

Wow, I just looked at Staples pricing for 24x36 color prints. $25 a pop. I thought it would be $5 to $10. I should start renting out my printer. ABout 50 charts and the darn thing will be paid for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom