Washing machine on a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a stacked set of little Maytags. Since we lived aboard full time they got a real workout. Great machines; the dryer was 240, externally vented and made quick work of its tasks. We had to have the washer serviced a couple of times due to owner stupidity, and it was easy to find someone to work on them in obscure places. As I recall, used about 10 gallons, with a quick wash feature using about 7. We were on moorings or at anchor most of the time we were cruising and it was really nice having them.

I would imagine on something like a Fleming there would be a cranny somewhere to place a dryer. Having separate units is really nice when you have a couple of loads to run.

Stacked apartment size units on our boat. Wife prefers them to what we have at home they work so well for small loads. Lot of water required and good venting. Mostly use then dockside. A good dryer is great to have if you run into some wet weather too.

As for boar size buy the biggest you can afford. You wont regret it as they shrink after owning them for a few months,

A good dryer is great to have if you run into some wet weather too.

We have a combo unit off the engine room. The way we use our boat (days on end), time is never an issue so the combo is perfectly adequate, and actually more convenient since there is no need to move a damp load from the washer to the dryer. But speaking of dryers, we have a dryer only in our MSR, which we use regularly to dry bath towels. Its kind of a treat to have a crisp, warm dry towel after showering on a cold morning.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. b. "...boar size...they shrink...."?? Never know ANY boar that I owned to actually shrink. Maybe it's the Oreo cookie diet. Any tips? Bigger chesterfield maybe?

PetPig.jpg

That's bait right?

Greetings,
Mr. NM. "...an ironing board....now that is a waste of space." Not necessarily so. Fish cleaning station immediately comes to mind.

209265d1324034471-show-me-your-fish-cleaning-station-100_0489.jpg
That couldn't be fish he's cleaning, he's preping bait right?

We have the original stacked units that came with our 1985 kk42. Can't remember the make. They still work ok for now. Like Larry, when it's damp out, we use the dryer to dry towels after the shower. We arrange to do some loads when a) the genny is on for the charge cycle, and b) just before we fill the water tanks. We have a wooden drying rack that we store folded up under the helm when not in use. We set it up in the Pilothouse on sunny days and clothes dry very quickly. In the fall/winter everything is about moisture management and we don't use the rack unless the weather is right for that purpose.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 206
  • jamisonfish1.jpg
    jamisonfish1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 204
Two boats ago my 1989 Californian 45 had a Kenmore stacker wired to 220. It worked just like it would in a house. Great.

One boat ago my 42' Nordic Tug had a Splendide vented model wired to 110. Did not work at all in my wife's opinion. We took it out and installed a deep freeze in the space. Then she started complaining about having to take the laundry off the boat. Go figger??

We have ASKO, a Swedish brand, stacked washer and dryer, stainless steel units. Came with the boat. The dryer runs on 240V. Works great. The washer uses an amazingly small amount of water.

Back
Top Bottom