View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Don't know if this has any bearing on your problem but I assume you are aware that older Racor 500 filters (if this is what you have) don't accept the current Racor 500 filter elements without the use of an adaptor. The adaptor is apparently included now with all the filter elements. They changed the configuration of the filter so that the new filter elements do not come all the way to the top of the newer Racor filters, so some fuel could go through the filter without being filtered.

I don't know if using the new element in an older Racor 500 would affect the starting and idle but I suppose it's a possibility.

If in your element changing and bleeding process something happened that is admitting a bit of air into the fuel line, this could certainly cause the symptoms you are experiencing. A washer left off a bleed screw, a bleed screw not properly seated. the top of the Racor not properly seated, an o-ring left out of the top of the Racor, or two o-rings where there should only be one, this sort of thing.

It the engine wasn't hard starting before and idled fine and now after changing the filter element and bleeding the system it's giving the problems you describe, the cause lies in something you did.

You might want to start over and do it all again, making sure you're following the correct process and not leaving any parts out or adding any extras.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote