Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Oil Change Frequency

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Love your avitar Cary!
Well*** ...it seems to me my practice of changing my oil more frequently and doing the filter only every third time is better than I thought. Since I only leave one quart of old oil my additive package is mostly changed (80%) so my control of carbon is high relative to my time and money spent on the oil issue. It sounds like the additives in the fresh oil should grab onto the bits of carbon in the little bit of remaining oil make it filterable w the OEM filter. In view of the fact that my new engine will last well over 10000hrs at 80% load and I operate at about 60% anything beyond regular changes probably would be a waste of time and money but I'm a lot like you Carl** ... I get great satisfaction out of doing things a bit closer to perfection that the average bloke.
Eric, Eric, EricYou know that I don't get credit for my avatar. I stole that photo from Marin. He is actually responsible for three different avatars I have used. He's got a great eye.
I am sort of with you on the oil changes. I began, about fifteen years ago changing oil every hundred hours. Then, seeing that the manufacturer (not that they have my interests at heart) were recommending 250 hours, I had to re-think the whole thing. I now change oil every two hundred hours. I did skip the filter change once, but found mysel feeling so dirty that I couldn't face myself in the mirror (not that it's all that easy under the best of circumstances). I now change every two hundred hours, or once per year. It feels so good to get that off my chest.*

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 12th of December 2010 11:14:40 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote