View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I have the exact same engine...same vintage. I just preventatively replaced both Sherwood pumps with SMX pumps. If you have 3000 hours on your current pumps I would say you definitely got your money's worth and I would replace them right now with SMX pumps. I think the design "flaw" in the Sherwood pump is the seal and spline(sp). So much so that my local Cummins dealer recommends replacing the entire pump when it is time to replace the impeller. He says that the stress put on the shaft while pulling the impeller unseats the seal and causes it to leak. His reason is based on actual experience. Tha last line was his personal opinion. But it is based on the fact that a large number of pumps begin leaking after impeller replacement....draw your own conclusion. He also says Tony's SMX pump is improved in this area and the reason it is a much better pump....not to mention the pump clears the engine mount which eliminates the need to jack up the engine to replace the pump.

PS...I would somewhat agree with David if you had 5 or 700 hours on your pump. But 3000???? That might be a record for these pumps.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote