Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll let you know the next time we're heading to Bimini you can just follow us over. It's only 43NM, I'm sure your boat can do it no problem.

Cool!

Of course, I was also assuming he has a membership to Sea Tow or BoatTow US, which is a must have. Usually on flat weekends lots of people head over.

Oh yes. Best $170 bucks you'll ever spend!

Just a short update for anyone interested.

We are settling nicely into our Marina routine. Patrick, our Golden Retriever is getting more and more comfortable. When WX permits we open the salon doors and he goes out around the boat and up to the aft deck. I guess he has figured out the boat is his territory now.

Having mapped out the waste system I moved on to troubleshooting the Lectro/San blinking red light. I now believe my issue is not due to brackish water but to electrode plates that have worn out. Before making final call and spending the $$$ I will 1) perform system cleaning with muratic acid. If no improvement, 2) measure electrode current draw to determine if they are indeed bad.

Now starting to amp out the fresh water system. Two things on this list:
1) I am curious about the city water conn. It just seems to tap into the fresh water circuit in bildge near kitchen sink feed. I notice when hose is connected and on I still run out of water when the fresh water tank runs dry. I also thought there should be some pressure reg. For this conn.
2) Admiral refuses to drink water from fresh water tank. I am going to try and add an under sink type water filter in the engine room connected only to the kitchen sink and the ice maker. Thoughts? I want something with cheap, easily replaceable and easy to find cartridges.

Marina added a great wifi system here. Problem is you get one access passcode voucher. So, headed to storage to get my router so I can setup an access point on the boat. FINALLY SOMETHING I KNOW HOW TO DO!!!!

God Bless and Calm seas my friends

George+

I don't have a city water connection on my boat but I have a fresh water spigot for a fresh water hose. A TFer recently suggested adding a pressure regulator to a water hose connected to the city water, then connecting that via a double female adapter to the spigot. I used a washing machine supply hose with 2 female hose connectors.

When I turn on the city water and open my spigot, I get pressure-regulated city water in the boat and the pump does not operate when using water onboard. Without the pump operating, the tank does not empty. The pump serves as a check valve to prevent the water from flowing into and overflowing the FW tank.

When you're connected to city water, is your water pump still operating when you use water? If so, maybe there's a valve somewhere you can open to allow the system to use the city water. If the pump does not run during water use, your tank should not empty.

I have a canister-type water filter under my sink. It filters out sediment but doesn't do much for taste. I think you'd need a better filter than I have for that....maybe a charcoal element. We don't drink our tank water either, but wouldn't have a problem with the city water.

There are some good threads running on wifi extenders and routers. They have some good product recommendations for boat wifi.

I use my city connection all the time. When connected you need to shut off the fresh water pump. Then it is just like a house. FG, I installed to water filters on the city water and on my fresh water tank. If we go somewhere, I am not sure of, I also have a portable filter I use on my fill hose when I am filling the tank. Admiral is now happy....

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Thanks for the update. Remember, MY "expertise" is just a short drive away. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want two heads scratching. I need to get out more...Anxious to see the new vessel.

Good Friar George, With Lectra San problems you are very near expert advice. Raritan has a warehouse in Ft. Lauderdale where Mac McCoy resides. Mac knows everything about servicing Raritan products.
Raritan Ft. Laud: 3101 SW Second Avenue, 954-525-0378
It's near Lester's Diner.

Tell Mac I sent you. If you need to buy parts or a new system, I'm sure Mac will recommend a good dealer. He better recommend the right dealer or he's in big trouble.

You have gotten good advise on hooking up to city water. Just remember to turn off the hose if you leave the boat for any length of time. If you had a failure in your system while gone, the city would pump a lot of water into your boat.

You have gotten good advise on hooking up to city water. Just remember to turn off the hose if you leave the boat for any length of time. If you had a failure in your system while gone, the city would pump a lot of water into your boat.

I forgot that one and it is very very important to do this....:thumb:

Friar-look at a Seagull water filtration system. Ours filters both dockside and tank fresh water to all taps. They make whole boat systems as well as for individual taps. Also, I would definitely add a pressure regulator. Your fresh water system should be built for 20-25 psi, certainly no more than 30 psi. Dockside water can get as high as 100 psi. You don't want that much pressure throughout the boat. As Parks noted, you don't want the city to be pumping that much water into your boat! important to keep the water on the outside!

Thanks so much for all responses!

Today is cleaning day. All shades open in Salon so time for couple photos of our salon and view out window. Enjoy! ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430419125.950546.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430419216.377370.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430419232.376116.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430419145.564229.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430419145.564229.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 115
Don't use my city-water connection. As it is, it takes months to use up the onboard water (200 gallons).

Gotta love those unobstructed sight lines from Californians! Looks great, Geo!

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. DAWG? I thought that was a couch throw....Very nice Mr. frg. Where are you going to put the fishing rod racks?

Ok, here is master stateroom and V Birth with bunks.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430426777.089325.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430426788.890323.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. DAWG? I thought that was a couch throw....Very nice Mr. frg. Where are you going to put the fishing rod racks?

The Afmiral has put kibosh on racks. They go in lazarette for now.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Ahhhh....lazerette I see. Very good (NOT good for the fishing gear)...Named after St. Lazarus of Bethany...

Watched a new family move in today. 3 rather large adults and a teenager on a rather short boat. Live aboards.

After docking they proceeded to bring stuff from the car. After a parade of trips, 2 nearly full grown Palm trees, 2 ferrets in a cage and a samari sword I went inside and made another drink. I was worn out. God bless 'em.

Last edited:
Gee-of all the self-defense threads that have percolated through TF, i.e. guns, knives, shotguns, flare guns, dogs, electricity, alarms, etc, no one has ever brought up using ferrets and a samurai sword against intruders. Maybe time for a new thread?

THD, the ferret thread would be just like an anchor thread. Your ferret is too small,it's the wrong color and the leash is too short.

THD, the ferret thread would be just like an anchor thread. Your ferret is too small,it's the wrong color and the leash is too short.

Leash...??? Ferrets on leashes OK as pets... NG for protection!

Beware of ferrets on leashes.

(Contains explicit language!)

thd, the ferret thread would be just like an anchor thread. Your ferret is too small,it's the wrong color and the leash is too short.

ha! Lmao!!!

Greetings,
Isn't it recommended to install ferrets where wires/hosing pass through bulkheads to prevent chaffing?

2Q==
9k=

2Q==

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom