Needs vs. Wants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wants often have a way of becoming needs. I installed an inverter and added a second fridge. Definitely a want at the time, but it has become an Admiral need, so it's been elevated in status. Bought a spare inverter to cover the potential failure of this new found need.

When I bought my boat, I was in the CA Delta with its levees rising 10-15 ft above the water. I needed a flybridge. Now that I boat much of my time in the cooler and windy waters of the SF, San Pablo and Suisun Bays, I no longer need the FB. It's great storage space that I want to keep and make good use of, though, and is now referred to as "the attic".

When shopping for a boat, neither radar nor autopilot were on my want list, but both were on the boat I purchased. They have both proven themselves so useful that both are now on my needs list and if they failed, would be replaced immediately.

At this point in time, I have few needs on my boat except for good maintenance which I perform. My "want" list has shrunken to insignificant improvements. I'm a lucky man!!

Last edited:
I need to fix that leak in the aft stateroom(actually that is a silly term for a small aft cabin with a cosy en suite)because I want a dry bed!

At this point in time, I have few needs on my boat except for good maintenance which I perform. My "want" list has shrunken to insignificant improvements. I'm a lucky man!!

:thumb:

Wants often have a way of becoming needs. I installed an inverter and added a second fridge. Definitely a want at the time, but it has become an Admiral need, so it's been elevated in status. Bought a spare inverter to cover the potential failure of this new found need.

When I bought my boat, I was in the CA Delta with its levees rising 10-15 ft above the water. I needed a flybridge. Now that I boat much of my time in the cooler and windy waters of the SF, San Pablo and Suisun Bays, I no longer need the FB. It's great storage space that I want to keep and make good use of, though, and is now referred to as "the attic".

When shopping for a boat, neither radar nor autopilot were on my want list, but both were on the boat I purchased. They have both proven themselves so useful that both are now on my needs list and if they failed, would be replaced immediately.

Hi Al - I agree with you regarding being a lucky man - and wife!

Only items I'm currently adding to my boat are relitively minimal... because the way we use it for gentle cruising, swimming and relaxation it needs virtually nothing. Most recent purchase was for redundancy on an item I use every anchor out - which is nearly every time we are aboard. That item is a 1970's 3500 lb "Powerwinch" windless in absolute new condition... never used! It is an exact replacement to the original windlass on our Tolly. The current one has begun acting up slightly and it's great to have a “plug-in” duplicate. Still in shipping box with instructions, parts list, 90 day warrantee card and its white cover. Few and far between do you locate cherries such as this. Price was pennies on the dollar for anything similar. I think even a bit less that its 1970's cost??

Boating Cheers! - Art :dance: :speed boat:

Attachments

• Windless.jpg
    Windless.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
Hmm everything we did in the galley other than replace the counter top. We took out the stove/oven and replaced with a smooth surface range with dishwasher drawer below and got a convection microwave to replace the oven.

Added a reversing kit to the windlass and have a remote control kit still to install. Could have lived without.

Bought a ski boat. :)

I'm sure there's tons more. We need a new bimini though.

Thought this would b interesting;

What did you buy for your boating lifestyle that represents a "want," rather than a "need?"

I'll lead off with my new Garmin Autopilot Wireless Remote. Definitely a want, not a need.

And here's another want. Not sure what it is but I sure do want it! (Nordy?)

That Nordhavn pic looks like it was taken on the back side of Star Island heading in Lake Montauk in Montauk, NY?

Am I close?

A Pullman berth--where one person has to crawl over the other (which I rather enjoy :angel:)--was a deal-breaker for my wife. If I wanted to boat with her I needed to find something with an island queen. Happy spouse = happy boat.

For me, a stand-up (or nearly so) engine room is a want that has become a need. It also doubles as a man-cave and, as much time as I spend there, I cannot imagine going back to crouching.

I wanted a new C7 Corvette...I NEEDED a boat.
Sold the car, bought the boat. It all ended well..

Now to deal with the boat "Wants"....:)
It's just like modding a car (for me)...It never ends!

Last edited:
I wanted a new C7 Corvette...I NEEDED a boat.
Sold the car, bought the boat. It all ended well..

Now to deal with the boat "Wants"....:)
It's just like modding a car...It never ends!

Our boat's wants: Exterior paint touch up with full-on simonize buffing / Haul and bottom paint / Constant love.

This season we'll provide all the love it can handle... the rest can wait till our same wants become our needs that get in sync with our boat's wants.

Happy Summer-Boating Daze!! - Art :thumb:

Boats

I have an inflatable to get out to the mooring but I WANTED something easier and more comfortable so I picked up this 15 foot diesel launch. No bailing. Just jump in, turn the key and go. One of the best things I have done to make life on the mooring easier. I decided I want to go faster to fish at times so I bought a 17 foot shamrock center console project for next Winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 77
Ok I just needed toost this link. My husband does not even know I am on his iPad so any complaints/ criticisms that he gets are going to be a mystery to him.
Forgive me as I have never posted here before and may not be following appropriate forum protocol.
http://youtu.be/w2X3vVMdh-s

Ok I just needed toost this link. My husband does not even know I am on his iPad so any complaints/ criticisms that he gets are going to be a mystery to him.
Forgive me as I have never posted here before and may not be following appropriate forum protocol.
http://youtu.be/w2X3vVMdh-s

Great movie and one of my favorite scenes, but you just posted his post #1 and now he's getting the emails that we're responding! This should be fun to watch!! You two might as well introduce yourselves!

:flowers::rolleyes::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

My biggest want now is continued good health and enough time to get out on my boat as often as possible. The rest is gravy.

Richard

Oh....you say that now, Richard. Just wait til the honeymoon's over!

If you feel like an Angel Island trip in the next week or so, let me know.

Great movie and one of my favorite scenes, but you just posted his post #1 and now he's getting the emails that we're responding! This should be fun to watch!! You two might as well introduce yourselves!

:flowers::rolleyes::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oohhkaay. I am Gabi and this IPad belongs to my husband John. Newbies to the forum and to trawlers in general. We are here because we just sold our business and are selling our house and downsizing enough to buy a liveaboard style trawler. We "want" to do the loop. We "need" to do the loop. We have had our noses to the grindstone in the viscous cycle of working just to work. It is time to stop working and start living.
We now live on a lagoon in Manahawkin NJ in the house we rebuilt after Hurricane Sandy had her way with us.
We are researching trawlers and hope to purchase one before we get too deep into the summer. Of the two of us I am the minimalist John, not so much. This makes our search for the right trawler difficult. All suggestions welcome!:smitten:
Next week we will be attending the Great Loop Rendezvous in Norfolk Virgina so anyone here who may be headed there.... Look for us. :thumb:
Nice to meet ya!

Next week we will be attending the Great Loop Rendezvous in Norfolk Virgina so anyone here who may be headed there.... Look for us. :thumb:
Nice to meet ya!

A great place to get an idea of what others are using to do the loop. Still there are a wide variety of loop capable boats so try not to let any one or two enthusiasts over influence you. It's not about the right boat. It's about the right boat for the two of you. All boats are compromise to start with so the fact some compromise necessary between the two of you isn't unusual.

Oh....you say that now, Richard. Just wait til the honeymoon's over!

If you feel like an Angel Island trip in the next week or so, let me know.

Hah - you're probably right - but don't burst my bubble just yet!

I'm expecting to be anchoring at Paradise Cove tomorrow (Saturday) night. I should arrive in the afternoon sometime. Stop by if you're in the area.

I like Angel Island too - but it's going to be easier to anchor single-handed than to pick up a mooring buoy with my boat's freeboard! I'll probably either need crew or a flotilla of dinghies to greet me when I arrive...

Richard

Wow. Needs vs Wants. My life is filled with Wants. Not so much with needs.

If I keep it to boating related N&W's it could still be long. I had a 20' bowrider but wanted something bigger. I ended up with a 33' express cruiser. Then I wanted something bigger. I ended up with the 60' Sea Ray I now have. Then I wanted more 'stuff' on it so I added a bow thruster, exhaust water separator, inverter, better electronics....you get the picture.

Then I fell in love with a Boston Whaler and found a 2010 13' Super Sport that I wanted. We had fun with it so I got another 13'er, a 1971 Whaler Sport for use down in AZ where we spend the winters.

Then I wanted a better GPS for the 1971 so I got a Garmin DownVue and loved it. So I got one for the 2010 but haven't installed it yet.

Want vs Need? I'm definitely a Want kinda guy.

Aside from the basic hull and a propulsion system there are only a few needs and some of those are required by CG or State law. After that the list is small and even some of those items can be questioned as needs. A bucket-a bunk-a chart-a compass-an anchor and rode. The 18 footer pictured with a two banger Beta diesel does not even have the bucket or compass yet, but add them and charts and it can easily do Seattle to Alaska since it has the basic needs. Most of the trawler set would have to tow a house boat to satisfy the old lady and fill in on the want list. The little boat pictured is way to the left on the boat cottage ratio, and may I note very fuel efficient even when the engine is running. The reality is that most trawlers are about filling a long want list, and I admit I do own one of those full of goodies. By the way this little boat is named K.I.S.S.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Most of the time, the wants create the needs.

My wife "wanted" an inflatable stand up paddleboard, which came with a hand pump. It requires more force than she has available to inflate it to 15psi.

She found that she then "needed" a $250 electric pump for the times I am not around.

The same applies to much of the needs with a boat. It all started by wanting a boat that needs insurance and maintenance and basic safety gear. Then we want options that need extra batteries and a generator. Then we want a dinghy that needs davits and motor.

"Needing" something is a way of justifying something to ourselves. (It works for me)
I would say that most (perhaps all) of us are a long way past actually needing anything. The only exception I can think of may be someone who needs a boat to keep their sanity. Sometimes I use this as a justification.

Most of the time, the wants create the needs.

I would say that most (perhaps all) of us are a long way past actually needing anything. The only exception I can think of may be someone who needs a boat to keep their sanity. Sometimes I use this as a justification.

Since I own a few boats my sanity must certainly be in question. I don't even know enough to care I like the boats who needs sanity when you can have boats.

Boats are for we who refuse to not usually create/accept "yes" for most answers to ours as well as our beloveds' and our boats' life fulfilling wants and needs. :thumb: :D

Happy Boating Daze! :smitten: :speed boat: :dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom