Albin trawler gel coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anyone know what color gel coat (white but not pure white) a 1988 Albin Trawler might have?

Anyone buy a precooked gel and have it pretty much match?

Last resort is taking a chip and have it colored at a paint store....if so...anyone know how big of a chip they need?

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Can't help you with a color name but can you get one of the paint chip samples that Awlgrip and Alexseal put out. They have a hole in the middle of the sample to aid in matching. Might be a better option to try to match a faded gelcoat than go with factory (Albin) color. I think there are kits whereby you can "blend" a bunch of tints to effect a match. But don't ask ME for help. White is white IMO and oyster white looks exactly the same a stark white to my eye.

Get a good gel coat guy to do the repair. It is not that expensive and if he is good it will match so you can not tell were the repair was.

Get a good gel coat guy to do the repair. It is not that expensive and if he is good it will match so you can not tell were the repair was.

If it were only that easy...I used to do the gel coat work for a marine electronics firm every time they did a booboo.

I am looking for an easier way and certainly cheaper than having some other guy keep guessing till he gets it right.

I know I was told by a local gelcoat supply and repair shop that the color will darken slightly when it cures. Approx 1 shade. You need an eye for that.
But this has shown to be true based on my experiences and those of a close friend who did a lot of gelcoat repair.
My problem is I don't have a good color eye to know what pigment to mix. It's not always black or gray to get off white. For example Mainship "white" was yellow and brown.
Let me know what you come up with...maybe my 1983 white is the same as yours.

Back
Top Bottom