Scouting Mission - Seattle Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin-the no see'ums in South Carolina might give the Alaskan Horsefly a run for its money. When I was in USMC boot camp many years ago, they were said to be a cross between a gnat and a saber tooth tiger.

The thing with the horseflies in Alaska, or at least SE Alaska where we fly, is that they are amazingly smart. For example, we landed at a high lake called Swan Lake in the mountains not far from the Devil's Thumb (for those of you familiar with the coast range across from Petersburg). We beached the Beaver by the Forest Service A-frame and got out to do some fishing. There was a pretty strong wind coming down the lake and we figured this was perfect to keep the bugs off of us.

Well, it kept the mosquitoes and gnats and such off us, but not the horseflies. It blew the horseflies right past us, too, BUT..... they knew not to bother to try and land on us as they went by. Instead they knew that immediately downwind of us the air would be relatively calm. So they would sail by us aiming for the "dead" air downwind of us at which point it was easy for them to fly back up to us, land on our clothing, crawl inside, and start to eat us.

Once we realized what was happening we could watch them do this (they are very large, about the size of a bumble-bee). If you saw one zip by you and you turned around fast enough, you could watch them beat their way back up to you in the slower air and land.

After about an hour of this we got back in the plane, opened all the doors to let the wind blow out all the bugs that got in with us, and left.

Marin I experienced that (similar) on a lake in northern BC that flows into the McKenzie River. Wanted to go toward the end of the lake. The bugs were terrible. I launched as quickly as I could and headed out away from shore thinking I'd loose the bugs. Lost all the bugs except the big black flies. They followed me for miles.

I launched as quickly as I could and headed out away from shore thinking I'd loose the bugs. Lost all the bugs except the big black flies. They followed me for miles.

Yeah, they're amazing. If instead of dropping bombs and missiles and stuff on the Middle East in an effort to root out ISIS, we simply dropped huge bags of live Alaska horseflies, that whole mess over there would die down overnight. Everyone would be so intent on escaping the jaws of those things that religious fanaticism and terrorism would immediately be forgotten.

We were extremely fortunate (and have been extremely grateful) that our PNW boat came with a full set of screens for all the opening windows and hatches thanks to a previous owner. The only thing we don't have a screen for is the main cabin door.

While we haven't taken the boat to Alaska and had to deal with the Insect Air Force up there that you had to deal with, the screens have many times made the difference between a pleasant evening on board in an anchorage or marine park and a miserable one. Particularly if it's hot and there's no or hardly any breeze. To be able to have all the windows and hatches open on a warm evening and have no bugs at all inside the boat is fabulous. It's particularly fabulous during yellowjacket season.

Attachments

• Yellowjackt.jpg
    Yellowjackt.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
The last time I visited Washington I flew into Portland. When I crossed the Columbia in my Oregon plated rental car I was stopped by the Washington Border Patrol. Those young punks were quite snotty until I handed them my birth certificate with its embossed Washington State Seal. Once they realized that I was an actual native, I got the red carpet treatment.

Having lived in Alaska all I can say is that the bugs there are over rated. Now if you want to see bugs, move to eastern Manitoba. I am a geologist and spent a fair amount of time out in the Manitoba bush. The flies there are moose flies. The comparison between a wild bull moose and a saddle horse at a kids riding zoo is about the same as the comparison between a moose fly and a horse fly. I remember that whacking them with my 4 lb rock hammer only made them mad. My DEET saturated clothing actually attracted Manitoba flies and mosquitos.

Last edited:
This reminds me of my first charter to Desolation Sound

Back in the 90's my wife and I chartered a small fast Bayliner to do a two week cruise from Anacortes to Desolation Sound and back. At the top of Toba Inlet we anchored about 400 yards off the gravel beach with the intention of hiking up the fiord on a dirt longing road. In the process of anchoring, something that was done from a bow hatch as this was the access to the bow, a large flying bug the size of yellow jacket took a 1/8 inch chunk of flesh out of my arm. Blood streaming from the wound I quickly closed the hatch and returned to the cockpit which, being a Washington boat had full camper canvas. We were immediately swarmed by hundreds if not thousands of these flying flesh eating insects. They were crawling the canvas looking for any weakness in our defense. After a very brief lunch we decided that taking the dingy ashore would be out of the question. It was one of those rare days warm enough to get by with a sweat shirt and possibly shorts. We would have had the flesh ripped from our bodies before we made the shore. As usual after a very brief discussion I got the short straw and had to pull the anchor. These flying terrors followed us for a mile or so until they tired of fighting the 24 knts of boat speed. As a California boy not use to death defying insect encounters, we took care of this problem with crop dusting and pollution years ago. I strongly suggest that anyone brave enough to venture north Seattle bring industrial strength insect suits, have your boat fitted with heavy mesh screens, on all openings, as well as full cockpit enclosures. Several cases of wasp spray should be on board, this doubles as bear spray. but than that's another story.

Scary,
That sounds scary.
We just put in 8 years living in the very south end on SE Alaska and I don't remember a single incident where bugs of any kind were more than a very minor annoyance. Not even close to interrupting any activity.

Sounds like you had a very unusual invasion of bugs from interior Canada. You mentioned good weather and it was probably associated w an east wind that brought the bugs down on you.

Bugs in SE are a problem only in certian places at certian times. Most visitors won't come in contact w them.

Scary, Those bugs saved you from death by Grizzly. Seriously, before the run of the river hydro projects went in, the top of Toba was known as a real bad part of bear town.

Spy what River flows into the head on Toba Inlet?

OK good.
I was thinking of a river further north I think. Started w an "N". Lots and lots of bears. Lots and lots of fish.

Did some research. The rivers I was thinking about were the Naha and the Neets rivers. But that was just the name. What I really was thinking re the actual River was the Unuk River. There was a bear shot there years ago (late 30s I think) that was a named bear. He had killed 3 or 4 men and stalked many over a period of years. Old Groaner was finally shot and killed by a well known hunter and his dog Slasher. There was evidence that the bear had been shot at point blank range w a pistol .. in the mouth. Damage to the throat gave him the unusual "growl" that earned him his name. Many bulllets were found in the carcass. Old Groaner's back was broken more than once and his whole back was healed in a big sheet of bone. He stalked the hunter that killed him for several nights. I don't know if the dog survived.

I can't find the story of Old Groaner so I'm going on memory. But I wouldn't recomend walking around on the Unuk River flats.

Last edited:
Seattle is great in the dry season. The traffic is bad and getting worse. Housing is expensive. There is plenty of boating opportunity but the real gems are farther north all the way to Alaska. Small and medium sized boats of all types can and routinely do take advantage of the boating opportunities. If one does not mind light rain boating can be an all year affair it is for me. We really don't need more people here but since you are a boater I will make an exception and invite you to our overcrowded paradise. Mind you on a week day the water is almost deserted. The challenge is driving to your boat and parking.

The challenge is driving to your boat and parking.

i moved here in 1979 from Hawaii where I grew up. I moved here in spite of Seattle, not because of it. I really moved here because it's next to British Columbia.

In my opinion Seattle is one of the most screwed up cities I've ever experienced on the planet. It can't do anything right anymore, from digging a short highway tunnel to applying common sense to traffic management. The mayor and the city council lurch from one bad decision to another, most of them anti-business to the point where Bellevue across Lake Washington is booming while Seattle struggles.

For boaters there is a great solution to the traffic, poor and expensive parking, and ridiculously high moorage costs in Seattle. Keep your boat somewhere else.

We keep our boat in Bellingham up near the BC border. It's an eight knot boat, but even at that speed we can weekend in the San Juan Islands no problem. If we had the same boat in Seattle, we'd get to the islands once or twice a year on vacation.

We can drive to our boat from our home in two hours or less. If we kept our boat in Seattle the heavy traffic and idiotic road designs means it takes the better part of an hour or longer just to get into the city and to the marinas in or near the city. So even though our boat is 100 miles from our house, in reality it's not much of a time penalty over keeping the boat in Seattle.

Bellingham is not the only choice of course. South of Bellingham Anacortes offers both city-owned and private moorage and the islands are right across the channel. South of Anacortes the quaint town of La Conner on the Swinomish waterway has a nice marina and other moorage opportunities. Blaine, north of Bellingham and right next to the BC border is another choice for keeping a boat.

As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle. Parking is plentiful and free. Traffic is non existant and, depending on one's schedule, the drive north can be speedy by freeway or scenic on the side roads in the Skagit delta and along the shore to Bellingham.

The photo is the view from our slip. The islands are the San Juans.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OK good.
I was thinking of a river further north I think. Started w an "N". Lots and lots of bears. Lots and lots of fish.

Did some research. The rivers I was thinking about were the Naha and the Neets rivers. But that was just the name. What I really was thinking re the actual River was the Unuk River. There was a bear shot there years ago (late 30s I think) that was a named bear. He had killed 3 or 4 men and stalked many over a period of years. Old Groaner was finally shot and killed by a well known hunter and his dog Slasher. There was evidence that the bear had been shot at point blank range w a pistol .. in the mouth. Damage to the throat gave him the unusual "growl" that earned him his name. Many bulllets were found in the carcass. Old Groaner's back was broken more than once and his whole back was healed in a big sheet of bone. He stalked the hunter that killed him for several nights. I don't know if the dog survived.

I can't find the story of Old Groaner so I'm going on memory. But I wouldn't recomend walking around on the Unuk River flats.

Here you go....

https://books.google.ca/books?id=HH...AQ#v=onepage&q=old groaner unuk river&f=false

Conrad,
Thank you very much and I'm pleased to see I wasn't far off w my memory. Some bear stories are the stuff of bad dreams and many people have played dead successfully but they say to not try that w a black bear.

They said of Old Groaner that he was an 11' bear. I don't know what they meant by calling him a brown/grizzly. Grizzlies are about 400lbs but an 11' bear is about 13-1500lbs .. undoubtedly an Alaska Coastal Brown Bear. Perhaps ther'e called "Canadian" in Canada?

As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle.

Marin,

What would be a typical moorage rate up north for say a 50' boat?

As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle.

Marin,

What would be a typical moorage rate up north for say a 50' boat?

It varies from marina to marina. Also, more and more marinas are including the footprint (area) of a boat in the slip fee formula along with length. Bellingham (Squalicum Marina, Port of Bellingham) uses the slip length in their fee formula, not the boat length although they do include footprint in some way or another. So you'd need to call the marina(s) you're interested in and tell them your desired slip length and boat length and width to get an accurate monthly fee.

Conrad,
Thank you very much and I'm pleased to see I wasn't far off w my memory. Some bear stories are the stuff of bad dreams and many people have played dead successfully but they say to not try that w a black bear.

They said of Old Groaner that he was an 11' bear. I don't know what they meant by calling him a brown/grizzly. Grizzlies are about 400lbs but an 11' bear is about 13-1500lbs .. undoubtedly an Alaska Coastal Brown Bear. Perhaps ther'e called "Canadian" in Canada?

You're welcome Eric - and thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. A fascinating story for sure.

And clearly your brain is working on a much higher plane than mine!

Might Have, Might Have

Scary, Those bugs saved you from death by Grizzly. Seriously, before the run of the river hydro projects went in, the top of Toba was known as a real bad part of bear town.
That was my first year exploring BC. On following trips I came prepared, at South Pender Harbor Canadian Customs allowed me to enter with a shot gun. They said normally they didn't think a gun was necessary in BC but since I was heading on to Alaska where they thought I would need one, they allowed me to buy a permit for the shot gun. I guess Canadian bears are well behaved and actually like tourists. This is a tip that's nice to know as packing a 12lb shot gun and looking over your back while hiking in the bush gets old fast.
On that trip to Alaska I didn't get bit one time by any insects, mostly I think because the rain was so relentless they couldn't fly. I did meet a number of bears however, mostly on friendly terms. I stayed out of their way and they did as they pleased. Seemed to work.

Back
Top Bottom