Looking for a pocket Trawler for sale In The Northeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fvkw

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
25' Kencraft "Buxton"
Hello, I am looking to buy a 25' pocket trawler in the New Jersey Area!
Please PM me if anyone can help!

Thank you!
I have been reading the topics here awhile.
Great source for information.

:)

I would like to find a clean Nimble Nomad in the New Jersey Area.

While the size and range of a good sized "trawler" can allow (1 in 100) offshore passages , the limited fuel of a small boat precludes that option , with out a sail.

In smaller sizes , esp one that can be trailered , there is little requirement for a go slow boat.

Sure 10nmpg is great , but 10-12 hours to go 50nm is less fun .

Some of the smaller IO will still get 3-4nmpg at 20+K so the choice can be made , time or money.

Diesels may have better fuel economy (depending ) but the maint , oil, and parts bill can easily outweigh fuel costs in a season.

With a huge supply of small cruisers , the chance is the layout and utility will be better than a so called "trawler".

I am looking at a cape dory 28 this week with a Volvo diesel. I would love to find an outboard trawler.

:)

That is a very nice boat!

You might look at the C-Dory 25 or the Rosborough 246. The C-Dory is outboard only, the Rosborough can be had with outboards or sterndrive.

I realize that the ranger Tug is not an outboard but it is a good looker and equipped well.

Home | Rangertugs

Attachments

• Ranger 25.jpg
    Ranger 25.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 170
Knowing your approximate budget would help to limit the suggestions. Are you looking for new or used. You have lots of options if your budget is $200K, but not so many if it is $20K.

Sure 10nmpg is great , but 10-12 hours to go 50nm is less fun .

I guess I'm a very odd duck on the Trawler Forum because I love life at 5-6 knots and 1/2 gph. The journey for me is the best part of owning a trawler!

FVKW, can you provide us with more specifics regarding your preferences? Ranger Tugs, C-Dorys, and even the Retro-Marine line of boats are great choices. I came pretty close to purchasing a Retro 21: Retro

I guess I'm a very odd duck on the Trawler Forum because I love life at 5-6 knots and 1/2 gph. The journey for me is the best part of owning a trawler!
Not odd at all. It's easy to travel faster and not realize what you're missing. You see and experience so much more at a relaxed pace. Enjoy the journey; the destination will be there whenever you arrive!

Ted

Watching water passing by at six knots seems fast to me. If the small-boat journey isn't a goal, then just fly or drive to the destination.

Last edited:
It's easy to travel faster and not realize what you're missing. You see and experience so much more at a relaxed pace.

Everybody says that-- at least everybody who has a slow boat-- but it's totally untrue. We have three boats, the slowest having an 8 knot cruise, the fastest having a 30-plus knot cruise. We "see and experience" just as much in the fast boats as in the slow one. Sometimes more because we cover more ground.

This notion that in a fast boat you're hanging on for dear life while the world whizzes by in a blur is rubbish. Most of the really cool things weve seen on or in the water lately have been from the fast boats. We slow down if we want, when we see whatever it is that attracts our attention. That's the great thing about a fast boat; it goes slow, too. Where the only thing a slow boat can do is go even slower.:)

I wanted a slow boat!! :blush: Life is moving too fast as it is!

I wanted a slow boat!! :blush: Life is moving too fast as it is!

Some folks want a slow boat and that's great, Mark. The whole point of buying a boat is to get one that does what you want to do with it.

Unfortunately life's not going to slow down because one drives a slow boat. One will simply spend more of what's left of it plodding between Points A and B.:)

Which in itself can be enjoyable, I guess. But we all only go around once here and some would prefer to see as much as possible of "here" while they have the chance. Which can apply to local or regional travel as much as global travel like what you do in your cruise ships.

Beginning of a fast cruise:

232323232%7Ffp53833%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D353267748%3B336nu0mrj

(With cabin stewards, waitresses. bartenders, and chefs, live entertainment, library, and all the other creature comforts.)

Last edited:
Everybody says that-- at least everybody who has a slow boat-- but it's totally untrue. We have three boats, the slowest having an 8 knot cruise, the fastest having a 30-plus knot cruise. We "see and experience" just as much in the fast boats as in the slow one. Sometimes more because we cover more ground.

This notion that in a fast boat you're hanging on for dear life while the world whizzes by in a blur is rubbish. Most of the really cool things weve seen on or in the water lately have been from the fast boats. We slow down if we want, when we see whatever it is that attracts our attention. That's the great thing about a fast boat; it goes slow, too. Where the only thing a slow boat can do is go even slower.:)
No, you are absolutely wrong. My current fastest boat does 28 knots. The fastest boat I ever owned would do over 60 knots. I know all about the difference between fast and slow. Traveling up a river, for each mile you travel, you will see more individual things at 7 knots than 60 knots. Furthermore, at 60 knots you focus more on directly what's in your path as nothing has time to get out of your way and hard object can potentially sink your boat.

Speed gives you the ability to cover more distance. Whether you see more or less individual items in the same time period may be debatable. The faster you go, the more things you likely miss per mile.

I care not at all that you have a personal need to travel fast, been there, done that. Stop wasting our time trying to justifing your need as superior to ours, it isn't. Shame you didn't have a better understanding of your needs when you bought your cabin cruier. :)

Ted

This notion that in a fast boat you're hanging on for dear life while the world whizzes by in a blur is rubbish..... That's the great thing about a fast boat; it goes slow, too.
Here we are at 17 knots, holding on for dear life.:blush: The boat will go faster than this but 17 knots is our cruising speed. (Unless we see something of interest, then we slow down to 8-10 knots and enjoy the scenery.)

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 152
Traveling up a river, for each mile you travel, you will see more individual things at 7 knots than 60 knots.

We don't do rivers so i have no idea if going fast on them prevents you from seeing anything interesting or not. My guess is it depends on how obsevant the one doing the observing actually is...

Shame you didn't have a better understanding of your needs when you bought your cabin cruier. :)

Well, we bought the boat we have in this part of the world back in 1998 because we were also supporting a floatplane and a cruising boat was a distant second to that. Used models of the type of boat we bought are a dime a dozen so we could start doing the cruising we wanted to do with very little cash outlay (our number one rule is never finance your toys). The downside is that it's slow as slugs. This was okay at the time. It isn't anymore.

We've since remedied this but that boat is not here so we still have to tolerate cruising like a glacier in this part of the world. Granted, its certainly much better than not cruising at all but it's still not ideal for us. We are looking forward to the day when this, too, is remedied.

Last edited:
We've since remedied this but that boat is not here so we still have to tolerate cruising like a glacier in this part of the world. Granted, its certainly much better than not cruising at all but it's still not ideal for us. We are looking forward to the day when this, too, is remedied.

I've observed an interesting trend on this site... it appears us "go slows" are occasionally having to defend our boat and lifestyle choices to owners of 20+ knot boats. Marin, this is an example of one of your posts from April:

I expected to see discussions about what's the best make of net reel or what's the best shape for an otter door, not about pathetic little 80 and 120 hp engines that are virtually useless other than maybe to power a hydraulic pump

We get--you don't like slow moving boats. But this is the "trawler" forum; and, whatever your or my definition, it is generally accepted that most so called recreational trawlers are slow cruisers that move like--in your words--a "glacier". Why do you even frequent this site if you disdain slow boats so much?

I guess it depends on why you have a boat. When I'm out on the boat I'm already at my destination - out on the water.

Entertainment......

Exactly.

And there is occasionally information about destinations or equipment that is interesting or useful. There are also a few members here who i very much enjoy reading, like Eric Henning, Psneeld, RTF, and Northern Spy.

But, as I've said all along, the main value of forums like this is that they're very entertaining and provide quick breaks from what one is doing during the day. John provided a good thing when he set this up back in 2007.

And, as has been made clear by the recent discussion on what defines a "trawler," in the minds of most forum members it includes virtually every type of recreational watercraft on the planet. There are members here with 20 and 30 knot boats who staunchly defend their belief that their boats are "trawlers" and there are members here with 6 knot boats who believe their boats are "trawlers," and everything else in between. So in the minds of most of the members here speed is obviously no part of their definition of "trawler."

So the fact I think slow boats suck has, by the definition of "trawler" clung to by the bulk of the folks on this forum, no bearing whatsoever on anything. By this forum's definition the triple-engine 40 knot-plus cruising boat we have in another part of the world which looks nothing like any of the boats owned by members of this forum is every bit as much a "trawler" as Mark's Coot which is probably the most "trawler-like" of all the production boats represented on this forum.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am building a small "trawler", or more appropriately, I'm converting one from an ex-USCG 26ft motor whaleboat. I've installed a 23hp Kubota diesel and am in the process of building a modest cabin and pilothouse. It has Capilano hydraulic steering Simrad auto pilot, Furuno radar, GPS, and sounder and a laptop with plotter program. I hope to have it in the water by September and head south.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am building a small "trawler", or more appropriately, I'm converting one from an ex-USCG 26ft motor whaleboat. I've installed a 23hp Kubota diesel and am in the process of building a modest cabin and pilothouse. It has Capilano hydraulic steering Simrad auto pilot, Furuno radar, GPS, and sounder and a laptop with plotter program. I hope to have it in the water by September and head south.

That sounds cool. Any shots of the project?

Back
Top Bottom