Dogs and Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone boat with a Cockapoo?.

We had a cockapoo that was a great boating dog. She grew up boating and absolutely loved being on the boat and cruising and especially swim time.
She loved to play w/ balls and would retrieve tennis balls it seemed like for hours and still enjoyed it. In calm seas she learned to climb our swim platform ladder (w/ very little assistance - just a steadying hand).
We have always had life jackets for our dogs and always use them - primarily for the handle to easily get them out of the water.

Our latest addition to the crew. Ready for duty when the boat is launched: Bos'n.

Attachments

• bos'n2.jpg
    bos'n2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 109
Now that the price of diesel has come down some, I bought a bottle of champagne. I popped the cork and the Poodle took off like a shot and immediately returned with a tray of canapés. The Chihuahua, not to be out done, also took off and returned with a dish of guacamole.

Lucky you don't own an Irish Wolf hound!

Well, it turns out our dogs have webbed feet. We should not have had to wonder, as they are excellent swimmers. One is a Golden doodle, the other is a standard/miniature ( moyen) poodle cross.

Our canine crew, Tut and Pez. We found Tut at a shelter and Pez found us on a bike trail. Their company is worth every hair that is shed!

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 105
Zain (the Beach Master) striking another hero pose as he surveys the beach for threats of any kind.

He passed another test today, listening to me instead of chasing an otter that was trying to entice him out to deeper water...have heard stories of otters drowning dogs, so was more than relieved that he came back to my side.

Attachments

• Badger, Zain, Eagle Bay, May '15.jpg
    Badger, Zain, Eagle Bay, May '15.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 124
My turn for our Trawler Dog.
Bear is a 3 year old Welsh Terrier and loves cruising. I don't think we have ever left him home. The problem I have is to take him for a potty walk while anchored out. He also like's 55mph on the jet ski.
Somebody should start a Trawler Dog Calendar.

Attachments

• IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 95
Well...this might have been Zain's retirement trip. He's going on eleven years old, which is pretty old for such a big dog.

He still gets in and out of the dinghy okay, but he's really weak ashore. We had to cut our hiking short because he couldn't keep up over rough terrain, and even on cobble beaches he always had a concerned look on his face. He's even taken to curling up beside me when I'm taking photographs, instead of exploring nearby like he used to.

We have a creek and old growth forest about a 7 minute drive away so he'll still get a taste of wilderness, but me-thinks his boating days are done.

Sad day...

Attachments

• DSCF0921.jpg
    DSCF0921.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 72
Parting shot:

Attachments

• DSCF1104.jpg
    DSCF1104.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 66
He is lucky , because of our change of boat our "baby Dryade" must live in a ...Marina she prefer clearly forest even if now she get trouble with her back legs.
She use too much steps in Hoa up down thousand time...
She got 10,5 years yesterday

As soon a possible we will heading for the wild for her end of life...

Know what you guys are going through. We had to say goodbye to our two Ridgebacks over the past year and a half—a male and female in order below. Both lived long, happy, pampered lives, but they definitely leave a hole in our lives that’s hard to fill.

Attachments

• DD6B8271-78F9-4871-A41F-F36042DD6279.jpeg
    DD6B8271-78F9-4871-A41F-F36042DD6279.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 95
  • 05864D76-7296-4D02-A73A-2866656A5D8B.jpg
    05864D76-7296-4D02-A73A-2866656A5D8B.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 92
Boat Dogs

We have had a boat load of boat dogs, always Labs until the current Golden The Lab in my avatar actually belongs to a daughter but he does enjoy the boat.
Moose is quite attached to my wife.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 94
Hello from our, old, "boat dog"
She move a little and after that she was so tired :smitten:

Attachments

• 100_1930.jpg
    100_1930.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1931.JPG
    100_1931.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 452
Stella is our 10 month old rescue mutt. She hung out with me all winter and spring as I worked on Kingfisher, then learned the cruising routine as we ventured further. She is as at home aboard as in the house, and has utterly claimed the aft cabin as her own. She has no problem hopping over the transom onto the swim platform to board the inflatable for a trip to the beach. She likes to bring pieces of driftwood back aboard with her. Messy? Yup, but super lovable.

41453281730_7787bbb304_b.jpg

43262803041_1201519be6_b.jpg

43966651341_438506c271_b.jpg

Last edited:
Got this great shot of Birdie the boat dog as we were untying the lines. She's ready to take the helm!

Birdie at the helm.jpg

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
on the Tennessee River
with hubby Dan and boat pups Lucy & Birdie

I don't think a caption is needed.

Attachments

• P1040809.jpg
    P1040809.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 45
Well...this might have been Zain's retirement trip. He's going on eleven years old, which is pretty old for such a big dog.

He still gets in and out of the dinghy okay, but he's really weak ashore. We had to cut our hiking short because he couldn't keep up over rough terrain, and even on cobble beaches he always had a concerned look on his face. He's even taken to curling up beside me when I'm taking photographs, instead of exploring nearby like he used to.

We have a creek and old growth forest about a 7 minute drive away so he'll still get a taste of wilderness, but me-thinks his boating days are done.

Sad day...

A sad day indeed. We just lost our 16 year old border collie. Countless adventures over the years and truly part of our pack and boat crew. We are still shellshocked that she's gone.

Has Zain had any serious encounters with black bears over the years? You have plenty in your area.

On guard duty.

Attachments

• 9E71A5E9-21A6-49A0-87F0-2D972BA019AE.jpg
    9E71A5E9-21A6-49A0-87F0-2D972BA019AE.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 51
Has Zain had any serious encounters with black bears over the years? You have plenty in your area.

No.

I make noise (whack a dry stick against trees and rocks occasionally) as we walk through the bush, so bears hear us coming and have time to move out of the way. He's stopped on the trail a couple times and refused to move forward, so I'll count those as keeping me out of bear trouble.

He stopped on a walk one night here in town when it was dark and raining. We were on a sidewalk between the fenced back yards of three residential streets, where the fences were converging. When he stopped he was very alert and was staring at one spot in the dark. I couldn't make out anything, so decided to trust his eyes. About a minute went by and then a mother Grizzly and two cubs rounded a fence, moving away from us, and disappeared around the corner.

We were less than 100' away when she rounded the fence, so have no idea how close we actually got. If Zain had started barking, the mother Grizzly might have felt threatened because her cubs couldn't get over the fences. Also, if he hadn't stopped, we would have gotten too close for sure.

I owe him big time.

Rosie

Our Rosie got a little bored after the 2nd week on the water.

Attachments

• AAAAAAAA 084.jpg
    AAAAAAAA 084.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 42
This is Maggie. Maggie hated the boat. For unrelated reasons, Maggie lives with my aunt now. She's fat and happy.

Attachments

• mag1.jpg
    mag1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 52
  • mag2.jpg
    mag2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 46
Lucy the beagle enjoys standing bow lookout, and enjoying the fantail sitting area on our Pilgrim 40.
Joe

Attachments

• Pilgrm2.jpg
    Pilgrm2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 0803181957-00.jpg
    0803181957-00.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 46
The Lab in my avatar belongs to a daughter. He is a typical lab, loves everyone and will eat anything and everything.
Our dog, Moose, is a Golden; he is happy anywhere we are. If our grandson is around Moose is at his side.
Both seem to enjoy the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom