Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #61
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
It seems that there are several types of people here, those that have no problem handing over their hard earned money regardless of the outcome, those that think people should be paid regardless of the outcome, and those that think it is acceptable to ask questions and withhold handing over money until concerns they have are explained. What you do is your choice. I for one would not pay someone to sit in a car and do nothing. Nor would I pay someone for mistakes that they made that would wind up costing me money. I also would not pay someone that was on my boat for several hours and could not diagnose and or fix a problem.

Curiosity really has gotten the best of me based on some of the responses in this thread so here goes nothing.
ksanders do you truly feel the way your responses sound? I am asking because its hard to read into someone's tone or mindset based on typing. To me it comes across as someone being full of themselves. I say that because you stated your clients should pay you even if you make mistakes regardless of what it costs them. Those are your words not mine. You also say that "I have to be careful here and try to separate what I do for a living, Vs what people pay for in a tradesperson on their boat." What is it that you do for a living? Inquirering minds would like to know.
I would bet a large sum of money that a lot of people reading this thread are thinking what I am.
The title of you thread is "why pay a mechanic to sit in his car?" You still have not said if you saw the guy sitting in his car. Did you see the guy sitting in his car for 1.5 hours? How far away is the mechanics shop from your slip/yard? Is it possible he got stuck in traffic? (bay area resident here).