teak deck finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithmilton

Veteran Member
I put a deck coat on last year
can't remember name and container is on boat
so
I need a recommendation for a new product please
anywhere last years attempt was covered it looks great
anywhere else appears to have come right off and left with the grey of unfinished teak
frustrating
Keith

The best way to ensure the longevity of a teak deck is to put nothing on it, let it go silver-gray, keep it clean using salt water and a detergent like Lemon Joy that makes suds in cold water, and be diligent about maintaining the integrity of the deck seams and plugs.

Anything else will threaten the integrity of the deck and ultimately shorten it's life.

There are many, many discussions about the care and feeding of teak decks in the archives of this forum. A search will unearth a lot of excellent information from some very knowledgable and experienced people.

We have been using Semco (clear) on our teak decks for over 15 years (2 boats) with good results. It does not change the non-skid characteristics of the decks, has a mildewcide, keeps the dirt out and helps keep the natural oils in the teak.

Semco Teak Wood Sealer

We have been using Semco (clear) on our teak decks for over 15 years (2 boats) with good results. It does not change the non-skid characteristics of the decks, has a mildewcide, keeps the dirt out and helps keep the natural oils in the teak.

Semco Teak Wood Sealer

Larry,

Can you post a picture of your decks?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

At the Gulf Coast Boat Show, the Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 and 42 had a sealant over the natural teak deck....looked great. They say a woman comes by every half year or so and renews the sealer. I got her number and have been ringing her phone off the hook. I want to find out what she uses. The stuff the local teak dealer sells needs redone every two to three months,...no thanks. I want great looking teak, but not at the cost of constant maintenance. Not so fond of the weathered grey look. Can't wait to see Larry's deck photos!

The first 2 pictures were taken about 7 months after the last application of the Semco. I had just finished repairing some plugs. The next 3 were taken after 2 coats of Semco as per the directions. The next 2, I took this morning, ~2 months after an application. The Semco darkens the decks initially and then it slowly goes gray/light brown. The decks are 28 years old.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 113
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 111
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 109
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 98
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 110
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 100
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 105
I also let it go natural using only water or salt water to clean it with very little to no scrubbing.

Looks good Larry. What do you use on your cap rails?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks much Larry,

I was strongly considering Semco, now I will definitely pick some up and have a go at my foredeck to start.

Are you also using in on your bulwarks?

I also let it go natural using only water or salt water to clean it with very little to no scrubbing.

We clean the decks with Cascade Liquid dishwashing detergent mixed with water lightly scrubbing with a white 3M Scotch pad. We do this about twice per year.

Looks good Larry. What do you use on your cap rails?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks. We use Cetol Light then Cetol Gloss over it.

Back
Top Bottom