Florida West Coast Burnt Store Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I was curious and just checked out the live aboard rate at Burnt Store Marina, which is $150.00 per month plus tax. How does this compare to other marinas in Florida?

They have a really nice facility
Can't speak to cost but I have spent a bit of time there with relatives. Restaurant is great as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Dirt cheap for SW Florida. Doesn't make sense. Are you sure that isn't the live aboard premium which is on top of the base rate?

David

A $150 live aboard fee on top of the regular rent is common here in SW Florida.

You still get metered electricity. The fee is justified as covering the extra trash, water and hassle of dealing with you on a daily basis. :).

Active Captain list the price at $16.50/ft plus the $150/mo live aboard fee.

It is a very nice marina. It's my go to place for lunch when I am fishing that area.

That is very comparable to the liveaboard premiums that are usually charged in the Tampa Bay area.

We were going to put in there as libra boards too but biz makes me have to stay in Ft. Lauderdale for the near future.

We got a real good vibe from the harbor master and the folks there.

What is the boating like in Charlotte Harbor and surrounding area? How does it compare to the Tampa area? Say with a boat of 6' draft. How does the west side of FL compare to the eastside ... boating wise? Going to be making a trip down soon and check out a few communities. Thanks!

Charlotte Harbor offers dozens of lovely secluded anchorages, miles of pristine shoreline mixed with dozens more great marinas where you can indulge your need for bright lights and action to the hilt. If you are a careful navigator, 6' draft is easily manageable. If you're not, you may want to install training wheels. There's a lot of water in Florida; it's just spread real thin. From my point of view the west coast of Florida is VASTLY superior to the east coast, unless your tastes run to overcrowded anchorages, absurdly priced marinas, hoards of jet-skis, sprinkled liberally with knuckleheads tearassing around in their go-fast noise-makers. But if you're looking for the best part of Florida for boating, may I humbly suggest you skip the peninsula and go to the panhandle, a.k.a. Redneck Riviera; that area extending east from Mobile Bay to Apalachicola and Carrabelle. No crowds, countless bayous, bays and backwaters to gunkhole and explore, inexpensive everything, friendly folk, incomparable seafood, and the best beaches anywhere in Florida. Enjoy!

... From my point of view the west coast of Florida is VASTLY superior to the east coast, unless your tastes run to overcrowded anchorages, absurdly priced marinas, hoards of jet-skis, sprinkled liberally with knuckleheads tearassing around in their go-fast noise-makers...

Amen!

But if you're looking for the best part of Florida for boating, may I humbly suggest you skip the peninsula and go to the panhandle, a.k.a. Redneck Riviera; that area extending east from Mobile Bay to Apalachicola and Carrabelle. No crowds, countless bayous, bays and backwaters to gunkhole and explore, inexpensive everything, friendly folk, incomparable seafood, and the best beaches anywhere in Florida. Enjoy!

And another AMEN!
The people are great around those parts.
Still a lot of "old Florida" left there.:thumb:

Thanks for the responses guys. Actually we hope to find a place as a home base that is quiet (it's relative, but certainly not a rural backcountry), yet has some amenities (like Burnt Store), is not too far from plenty of services on land (doctors, hospitals, restaurants, etc, etc,etc things for retired life), and definitely close to extensive boat cruising areas with plenty of boat services around (I.e. Plenty of competition). We don't want to be around massive water traffic as you describe, the high prices some describe on east coast of Florida. Fun to visit and pay the high prices, but not everyday.

The idea (as it stands now) is to find a land base, then begin our search for our boat that we can cruise the gulf shore, the keys and the Bahamas and then possibly towards the horizon. I have heard the panhandle has really beautiful beaches and it is less developed, but is farther away from where we want to spend the majority of our time. We think.

If one lives on the west coast say in Fort Myers or Tampa areas, how long does it take to drive your car across the state to the east coast? In general.

Kevin
Portland, OR

Burnt Store

We were there last year and their was no wi fi. Nice place other wise.

Check Ft Meyers for marinas.

It is a two hour drive from Ft. Myers across the state to I 95. I live in Port Charlotte and it takes me three hours to get to Miami.

We were there last year and their was no wi fi. Nice place other wise.

Check Ft Meyers for marinas.

Did you mean no wifi in the marina? What would be internet options then? Cell phone only?

Kevin
Portland, OR

I was on F Dock for a week last month and the wi fi was good. The folks farther from the office had to carry their laptops up to the patio.

Thanks for the responses guys. Actually we hope to find a place as a home base that is quiet (it's relative, but certainly not a rural backcountry), yet has some amenities (like Burnt Store), is not too far from plenty of services on land (doctors, hospitals, restaurants, etc, etc,etc things for retired life), and definitely close to extensive boat cruising areas with plenty of boat services around (I.e. Plenty of competition). We don't want to be around massive water traffic as you describe, the high prices some describe on east coast of Florida. Fun to visit and pay the high prices, but not everyday.

Then the area you are looking at, as well as the Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda areas are perfect for you:thumb:

The idea (as it stands now) is to find a land base, then begin our search for our boat that we can cruise the gulf shore, the keys and the Bahamas and then possibly towards the horizon. I have heard the panhandle has really beautiful beaches and it is less developed, but is farther away from where we want to spend the majority of our time. We think.

Sounds very similar to our plans when the time comes.
Pensacola, Panama City and the Panhandle in general, have some of what many consider the nicest beaches in the world.

Unfortunately (IMHO), they also have some of the WORST traffic during certain times of the years, and they get too cold to quickly for my taste. Still love them thought!

There's a lot of infrastructure up there, and I don't think you'll find yourself being too remote from those things you need. If you happen to be former military and have access to the VA, etc., then you'll find a plenty there.

If one lives on the west coast say in Fort Myers or Tampa areas, how long does it take to drive your car across the state to the east coast? In general. Kevin
Portland, OR

Kevin,

It takes me right at two (2) hours to two and a half hours, to drive from where I live in the Citrus Park area of the NW portion of Hillsborough County which encompasses the City of Tampa for reference (not far from the Pinellas County/Pasco County line), all the way to Cocoa Beach or Melbourne. 99% interstate and turnpike travel.

OD

So it sounds like the OP may have just been looking at the extra fee and not the entire cost for a slip....

Kevin.... If you haven't purchased a boat yet, at least that is what I think you said. I would really suggest you reduce the draft 6' will be fairly restrictive in the majority of Charlotte Harbor.

Kevin.... If you haven't purchased a boat yet, at least that is what I think you said. I would really suggest you reduce the draft 6' will be fairly restrictive in the majority of Charlotte Harbor.
Agreed. There is a lot of skinny water on the west coast of Florida. Personally, I would not consider anything with a draft deeper than 5' (and even less would be better) for this area.

There are two types of boaters in Charlotte Harbor, Thoes who have been stuck and those who lie LOL. My boat drafts less than 12 inches and I still get stuck now and then.

There are two types of boaters in Charlotte Harbor, Thoes who have been stuck and those who lie LOL. My boat drafts less than 12 inches and I still get stuck now and then.

I couldn't have said it better myself. We have a CC that also draws about a foot and I would bet in the 3 months we spend there each winter I find a new bar every couple weeks. You just ain't going anywhere if you don't touch bottom in this area.?de01

Then the area you are looking at, as well as the Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda areas are perfect for you:thumb:

Kevin,

It takes me right at two (2) hours to two and a half hours, to drive from where I live in the Citrus Park area of the NW portion of Hillsborough County which encompasses the City of Tampa for reference (not far from the Pinellas County/Pasco County line), all the way to Cocoa Beach or Melbourne. 99% interstate and turnpike travel.

OD

And here I thought ya'll got around on air sleds with gator tails hanging from your antenna's. :hide: My dream has been crushed...

Thanks for the info. What is boating like in Tampa, comparable to other areas? I have read some good posts regarding Charlotte Harbor, Fort Meyers Beach area, etc. When you want to go to your favorite spots, is it local or farther south or north? Time available is always a factor, but if it wasn't which way would you go? Let's say for a weeks adventure.

Agreed. There is a lot of skinny water on the west coast of Florida. Personally, I would not consider anything with a draft deeper than 5' (and even less would be better) for this area.

I was looking at a chart of Charlotte Harbor and thought wow that is a little skinny looking, which caused me to post the question. Is Tampa the same way or the whole west coast? The Capt in a previous response stated Training Wheels might be needed, which I may have to be outfitted for. How about "Channel Feelers" like the 60's and 70's versions of curb feelers on the Caddy?

I couldn't have said it better myself. We have a CC that also draws about a foot and I would bet in the 3 months we spend there each winter I find a new bar every couple weeks. You just ain't going anywhere if you don't touch bottom in this area.?de01

So do the pros of keeping your boat there outweigh the cons by a sufficient margin? If given a "do-over" would you pick the same area?

So do the pros of keeping your boat there outweigh the cons by a sufficient margin? If given a "do-over" would you pick the same area?

I think so. Its great middle ground. You can go North or South for cruising plus your at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee River so you have the ability to run up river to escape storms or go right across to Stuart on the East coast.
We stay on the North end of Pine Island by Jug Creek Marina. You can bring 4' draft into the canals but the Marina's really don't handle anything bigger than 30'.
The GICW has quite a few good Marina's and restaurants as well as secure Anchorages.
Open up Active Captain and have a good look at the surrounding area.

Is Tampa the same way or the whole west coast?
Pretty much. Yes.

Of course, you can get around with a deeper draft. I mean, big cruise ships and cargo ships come and go from the Port of Tampa. They stay in the channel, though. To get to the "interesting" places you have to have a shallower draft.

Well worth it, though. In my opinion. There are lots of great places to go, and things to see and do, around this area. You just have to be mindful of the water depth. That's all.

Good luck.

Pretty much. Yes.

Of course, you can get around with a deeper draft. I mean, big cruise ships and cargo ships come and go from the Port of Tampa. They stay in the channel, though. To get to the "interesting" places you have to have a shallower draft.

Well worth it, though. In my opinion. There are lots of great places to go, and things to see and do, around this area. You just have to be mindful of the water depth. That's all.

Good luck.

I have to agree.
Getting around up here in general is not really a big deal. Watch the markers, and you're ok. Stray outside and you have to be mindful of the depth. But like Don said, there's a lot of great places to explore along the west coast.

And not to ruin your image of us, yes, I've spent more than a couple of hours on an "air sled" as you called it as well, but I try to leave the Gators alone lol.

"Ride to Slide! " :)

Burnt Store

We looked at BS for a new home, passed on it when we found out you cannot buy a dock or slip, must rent and you are at the mercy of the owner operator.

Bottom line, never buy real estate in Florida that doesn't include ownership of deep water access.

We looked at BS for a new home, passed on it when we found out you cannot buy a dock or slip, must rent and you are at the mercy of the owner operator.

Bottom line, never buy real estate in Florida that doesn't include ownership of deep water access.

So where did you end up and why?

Kevin
Portland, OR

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom