Show us your keel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prop pockets are common on most sportfishermans today, for the reasons above and the lessened draft.
That's my understanding! I need more testing on the water before I can comment with any degree of accuracy. :blush:

I'm unfamiliar with Mr. Lucander.:confused:

He was one of the naval architects mentioned in Voyaging Under Power. Has some different designs-- twin engines and three keels.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430417126.720884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430417126.720884.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 64
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430417158.707756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430417158.707756.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I don't normally do this on a first date....but I'll make an exception.

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 67
That's my understanding! I need more testing on the water before I can comment with any degree of accuracy. :blush:

I've also heard from the grapevine that they lessen maneuverability. But i haven't run a vessel with them so i couldn't tell you first hand.

This is a Grand Banks Aleutian, :

DSC_0301.JPG

Check out the little guys on the aft of this Nordhavn 62:

DSC_0359.JPG

I've also heard from the grapevine that they lessen maneuverability. But i haven't run a vessel with them so i couldn't tell you first hand.

I met a guy this past week with a Valor 44...Supposedly a generic Taiwanese hull with a custom superstructure. He described his boat as having these prop pockets and said it's directional stability in the rear when docking was marginal. It was hard to control and he had no bow thruster. He was still in his learning curve though as he was on his delivery trip from the Gulf to the Chesapeake...

That Nordhaven has fins under the stern quarters! What's with them?

This is pretty much sail boat hull.

Attachments

• DSCN0696.jpg
    DSCN0696.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 95
Plenty of boat below the waterline, and you can see the "paling fence" planking of the hull.

Attachments

• DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC04584.jpg
    DSC04584.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04600.jpg
    DSC04600.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00354.jpg
    DSC00354.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 99
Rolly but very seaworthy

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 78
Here is our Great Harbour GH47

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430441181.559573.jpg

Show your Keel

With those two keels could the boat be beached in a pinch for repairs?

Yes, Great Harbour designed in that capability and the draft is only 3 foot. The roll is minimized via the hard chine and design of the bottom, we love it!

Cardude-The Krogens are designed similarly to your post of the Lucander design. They have a standard center keel that runs 3/4 or so of the length of the boat and then a keel enclosing each shafts that run about the last 1/2 of the hull. Since the props rotate in opposite directions, the outboard keels are counterfaired to produce the most efficient waterflow to the props. The two additional benefits are total protection of the props and the boat can sit on its own bottom.

Britannia,
I had no idea the KK 54 was a double ender. I just assumed they were like the KK 42. She looks so much like a Willard. Fuller in the quarter beam though. My Willard is more of a wine glass section. Looks like a Michigan MP prop. Looks pink too.

Thanks Ted I now feel much better about my 7+ foot draft

Attachments

• DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image-8.jpg
    image-8.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 80
Clipper 34 with bared backside…

Attachments

• Image 7.jpg
    Image 7.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 84
Britannia,
I had no idea the KK 54 was a double ender. I just assumed they were like the KK 42. She looks so much like a Willard. Fuller in the quarter beam though. My Willard is more of a wine glass section. Looks like a Michigan MP prop. Looks pink too.

Yes - takes following seas very well - had to use that feature rounding Point Reyes. No way my boat will ever plane!

My surveyor wasn't too concerned about the pink when he took a close look. It's lost some zinc though I think. There's some Electroguard system and I think I should take a closer look at the whole bonding. I'll get the prop rechecked at the next haulout too. I have a spare under my bed - takes two to lift it!

Richard

Just finished a haulout here in Campbell River. All the wash water must be retained and treated by a new system. I was not permitted to do the washing, it is done by a yard hand. All scrapings of anti-foul paint must also be retained and disposed of in landfill. That, I was allowed to do. I suppose Kitimat does not have a travel lift?
Here's my keel, 3'6" draft.

Hey Dude :D (For those of you who don't know, we met before kindergarten).

No travel lift in Kitimat, just the trailer with hydraulic pads...not the place to be hauled out if you have a bigger boat. The marina, MK Bay, is under new management so we're hoping for some long overdue improvements.

In 1994, I approached the Campbell River Indian band with regard to putting in a travel lift at their new marina. They told me that they already had a player who would be putting in a lift within the next 6 months. They did, however tell me that they would require 50% of all revenue as a licencing fee. I was also required to install all of the infrasructure, as far as the walkway for the travel lift. I consulted with my advisers, who told me to drop the project on those terms. It took about ten years for a travel lift to be installed at the marina...

Hey Dude :D (For those of you who don't know, we met before kindergarten).

No travel lift in Kitimat, just the trailer with hydraulic pads...not the place to be hauled out if you have a bigger boat. The marina, MK Bay, is under new management so we're hoping for some long overdue improvements.

There are two travel lifts in Campbell River now. One at Discovery Harbour, which has been there for quite awhile. More recently, one has been brought in to the Freshwater Marina, where we keep our boat. It's about $100 cheaper at the F.W. so the lift is quite busy, and it's pretty handy for us.

Peter B,
Never seen pics of your hull before.
That's a big hole for your prop shaft.
Did you see my post #25?
Real easy to do.

I see your red Toyota. Is this an old picture .. do you still have the sports car?

Back
Top Bottom