Need help with seized bolt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not at the boat yet. Maybe next week after a fishing weekend. Need the windlass operating this weekend...don't want to take it down, just in case.

I'm not at the boat yet. Maybe next week after a fishing weekend. Need the windlass operating this weekend...don't want to take it down, just in case.

Al, take note of my post above. But seriously, just how important is it to make this change anyway, if the thing has performed flawlessly..? I'm a great believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

Greetings,
Mr. PB. I tend to agree (leave it alone) but it's already "broke" with that allen key stub stuck in the cap screw. If not removed, that stub will quite rapidly rust, stain and spoil the ambiance of Mr. FW's pristine bowsprit. Now we can't have THAT can we?

If all else fails Al, if you have a Dremel tool, it has a small cutoff wheel that you could use to cut a slot in the screw to back it out. I don't know if it will cut into the broken allen wrench as that is pretty hard steel. It would also be very hard not to cut into the surrounding surfaces but I'll bet you could do it.

Good Luck, it seems you have the same results I normally do with a simple project. A 5 minute job turns into a 5 hour job.

Flyweight, it was originally a typo but I think it might catch on!

Windmist, dremel makes a thin cutting wheel that mounts on small mandrel cuts great slot in anything metal. Used one yesterday. works as well as the operator. Made a slot in a "tamper proof" fastener. Guess it has now been tampered.:confused: Worked for that.

I would bang the broken of allen wrench part with a chisel, etc., until it at least had some lateral movement. Then some high-tensile strength glue (gorilla glue even) to see if I could pull it out.

For the stuck broken Allen hex key try a centre punch lightly tapping it backward opposite to the direction you were using it. It may loosen enough that it will release.
A good Allen key would have given warning by twisting before breaking.
i love Bondhus keys for that reason and we used them hard. Allen makes keys and they too are good keys.

You raise a good point, Peter, but now it's become a personal challenge! As you point out though, it works fine now, so what's the hurry. I'll be spending a good part of the next 2 weeks aboard. If anchoring isn't imminent, I might give it a go...at least I'll work to remove the broken tip.

Windy/Tooly, That's the took I was envisioning using if I need to grind. I also have a larger grinder onboard, but it's a bit unwieldy.

I really appreciate everyone's great advice and suggestions. That's another thing I love about this forum!!

I'll update when I work on it. Cheers to you all!

Greetings,
Mr. FW. Between work session on that nasty broken bit, keep the nasty bit covered with a gob of grease to minimize rusting and staining.

I spoke to Josh today at Lewmar. The windlasses they are shipping now have the upgrade that Flywright is installing. I also found out that the Pro Sport 550 is a close to drop in replacement for my old Horizon 500. I ordered one.

Back
Top Bottom