New stove time! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding stoves for boats, we made a modification to our Force 10 which, as simple as it is, has made a big difference to it's physical impact on the inside of our boat.

The range (stove/oven) position in the galley of a GB36 is right beside the entry to the companionway to the forward cabin. The range is on one side and the port side of the helm station is on the other.

On the Force 10, the controls for the stove, oven, and broiler burners are on the front in a position that makes them very easy to brush or even lean against when passing through to the forward cabin or simply standing beside the helm station. So a burner knob can be inadvertently turned either on or to a different position if it's already on.

The burners have thermocouple protection, and when we're not actually using the range the gas valve in the propane locker is always turned off, but this nevertheless creates a risk that we weren't willing to accept.

Once we figured this out, we came up with the cure as illustrated below. It's a long polished stainless drawer pull that's used on household drawers and cabinets. We ordered it from an on-line cabinet supply catalog and mounted it on the front of the stove just above the burner knobs.

So now people brush or lean against the bar, not the burner knobs. It was an easy thing to do and just required drilling a pair of holes.

Attachments

• Stove Mod.jpg
    Stove Mod.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
That's a great low buck mod that makes sense Marin. :thumb::thumb:

I'd caution our Aussie readers to verify it's kosher down under. As silly as it sounds the act of drilling two holes could potentially void the UL listing. Not a big problem on this side of the pond but believe boat gas systems need periodic recertification from a gas fitter there and possibly Europe.

As silly as it sounds the act of drilling two holes could potentially void the UL listing.

I suspect that if questioned one could simply say, "That's the way the stove was built," and the inspector would be none the wiser.:)

Last edited:
Marin:
As far as "holding the heat" after turning off the stove, have you looked into a baking stone? Basically, just a thick piece of tile you cut to fit on your oven rack with about an inch clearance from all sides. Helps it hold the heat greatly even if you open the door now and then.

Just a though.

The Brits have been using propane (or acetylene) for decades.

The difference is the boat is designed from the start to use the fuel.

Tanks are frequently mounted so a reach rod , thru the overhead , can operate the gas valve.

No going outside , except every couple of months to switch tanks.

Operating a noisemaker at $10.00 per hour to cook vs a $20.00 tank that lasts a couple of months is certainly a choice , but not if you value piece and quiet , or have a budget.

Acetylene is lighter than air , so does not have the claimed horrors of a massive propane leak.

Of course in the USA it is regulated to death , so not practical as a cooking , refrigeration, heat or light fuel.

Last edited:
Marin:
As far as "holding the heat" after turning off the stove, have you looked into a baking stone?

Thanks. I'll pass this on to my wife. I don't cook. I despise cooking and will have nothing whatsoever to do with it. My idea of cooking is a can opener, and my idea of gourmet cooking is a platinum can opener.

All I know is that my wife and her best friend have a method of cooking a prime rib that calls for the oven to remain really hot for an hour after the heat is turned off. I don't know that a Force 10 or any small marine oven like it would do this or even reach the initial temperature which, as I understand it, is the same temperature used to make steel. But I can't confirm that because, as I say, my interest in anything having to do with kitchens and cooking is zero.

Ok folks! Thanks for all yours thoughts. A few weeks ago I installed the new Dickinson Marine 3-burner model. Pictures attached!

Attachments

• IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_6924.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom