Sales Tax and Boat Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. R2G. Your comment regarding antique boat registration raises an interesting point. Our vessel is a documented vessel with an out of state (not FL) hailing port. It is also 36 years old thereby qualifying for "antique" status. Hmmm...So, if I register in FL as an antique vessel I might get away with $5/ year rather than a hefty yearly fee....Hmmmm.....Nope, doesn't sound like THAT would work either.

RT,

Where are you and your boat?

Greetings,
Mr. R2G. Currently, Broward County and we plan to be here for the next 6 months or so. NOT using the boat (have to go back home and water the lawn at some point) but she will be slipped here for longer than 90 days. We DO meet the requirements I read on: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/87243.pdf

Last edited:
The vessel needs to be 30 years old and have the original "type" of propulsion. If it came with an inboard and you removed it and put an outboard on it. It does not qualify. If you repowered from gas to diesel it does not qualify. That is pretty much it.

Does the Florida Personal Property Tax apply to Antique Vessels?

Does the Florida Personal Property Tax apply to Antique Vessels?

No,

Taken from Understanding Tangible Personal Property - Rick Singh, CFA - Orange County Property Appraiser

What is "tangible personal property"?
Tangible personal property is everything other than real estate that is used in a business or rental property. Examples of tangible personal property are computers, furniture, tools, machinery, signs, equipment, leasehold improvements, supplies, and leased equipment.

Who must file a personal property return?
Anyone owning Tangible personal property on January 1 must file a tax return by April 1 each year unless you were notified by our office that the filing requirement has been waived. Every new business owning tangible personal property on January 1 must file an initial tax return. In any year the assessed value of your tangible personal property exceeds $25,000, you are required to file a return. Taxpayers who lease, lend or rent property must also file a return.

Yes it's confusing.

Florida does not have personal property tax on personally owned recreational boats, antique or otherwise.

This seems to be a hot topic right now, maybe because the economy is better for many and fuel is cheap. I just finished writing an article on this subject which will appear in the summer issue of the Marina Life magazine Online marina reservations, marina information, & travel planning services. I interviewed an attorney in Annapolis, MD for the article who specializes in maritime law and has a web site you may find helpful. Maryland Real Estate Law. As a freelance writer, I have no affiliation with either of these organizations, just referring for any help they may be to the group.

Why not cut the chase ... register the boat where it will be used/moored most of the time (Florida?). Otherwise, but not wise, you might end up being forced to register in and/or pay tax to multiple jurisdictions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom