Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I read a thread on the Defever Cruisers Forum recently citing someone who had run some pretty sophisticated thermodynamic calcs to show that (at least for Defevers with conventional in and out blowers) there is little to no benefit to running the blowers while underway. A frequent and very technically knowledgable poster cited the mass of the heat sink in the ER, calculated the volume of air that would need to be replaced under various outside temps and concluded it was futile to run the blowers while under way. He noted that with his setup, his engine room seldom got above 110 degrees while underway, with or without the blowers running. Once the engines are shut down and heat isn't being added, the bowers become effective. Haven't experimented myself; just passing along what I read and YMMV with a different boat. (Personally, I believe everything I read on the internet.).
Works this too in my DF. In the PNW the ER does not get hot when cruising, only, after a shutdown. Didn't need to do a thermodynamics evaluation to find this out. But hey, what are retired engineers to do when cruising?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote