Best way to store Florida trawler out of season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
Pardon me if this has been answered before. I plan on keeping my boat in the Daytona area and was wondering if it's best to keep it in a slip or on the hard during the summer when I'm not there. I believe most marinas here want the boats gone during a hurricane, so I'm leaning towards land storage. I live in RI now so that is the norm for me over the winter. What do most of you southerners do? Is a short haul the norm for zinc and paint? I'm trying to get ready for a new environment of boating. 40 foot Albin, so indoor or rack storage is probably not available.

Pardon me if this has been answered before. I plan on keeping my boat in the Daytona area and was wondering if it's best to keep it in a slip or on the hard during the summer when I'm not there. I believe most marinas here want the boats gone during a hurricane, so I'm leaning towards land storage. I live in RI now so that is the norm for me over the winter. What do most of you southerners do? Is a short haul the norm for zinc and paint? I'm trying to get ready for a new environment of boating. 40 foot Albin, so indoor or rack storage is probably not available.

How many months are you going to be unable to use it? What do most of us do? We use it year round.

Daytona Beach isn't really a frequent hurricane area. Here are the last three from Hurricane City:

1960 sept 11th hurricane donna passes by here on the way out to sea with 110mph winds Daytona's FAA aviation towert reported 99mph winds,press here 28.73 heavy damage here & throughout the southern 2/3rds of florida. Sustained ESE winds of 58mph 3:45 AM,4.58 inch of rain. more here

1979 Sept 4th 95mph David hits from the SSE

2004, August 13th Hurricane Charley hits from the SW with 85mph winds, Many trees down with power outages & minor structural damage. Tornado reported in county.

I would find some one who can look after and take care of the boat while you are not there that can move it in the event of a storm.

We'll be up north June to December. The marina we looked at (Loggerhead) also suggested a captain move it in case of a storm. Trying to be cost effective and worry-free. If in - water is the norm, I'll go that way. On the other hand, boats seldom sink on land. Dehumidification would seem to be easier in a slip.

We'll be up north June to December. The marina we looked at (Loggerhead) also suggested a captain move it in case of a storm. Trying to be cost effective and worry-free. If in - water is the norm, I'll go that way. On the other hand, boats seldom sink on land. Dehumidification would seem to be easier in a slip.

7 months is a long time to leave it on land or in the water. Probably the most protective way to leave it is on land and doing most of the things you do to winterize a boat in the North.

If left in the water, you need a yacht manager of some sort to check on it, start it periodically.

Storms are the least of the concerns, quite honestly. Might ask Loggerhead if they even existed for the last major hurricane to hit the area. Both Loggerhead and Halifax Harbor are well protected marinas and just not prone to hurricanes.

The issues are loss of power, electrical problems, maintaining batteries, maintaining engines and generators, keeping the bottom clean, changing anodes. Those are the reasons to remove a boat from the water and winterize it even in Florida.

Out of the water will be my first choice if I can find a place. Seems to be mostly slips and rack storage here, but I've seen a few on stands. Otherwise, someone to check things on a regular basis while in the water. Loggerhead has fulltime staff and an onsite mechanic, so that's a possibility. I guess a couple hours labor per month won't kill me.
Thanks for the replies.

Our area is considered a Hurricane Hole , and some folks have strong docks for "guests"

Nearby is River Forrest a commercial outfit that offers storage on the hard , or for the well heeled ,inside conditioned storage in hurricane rated bldgs.

With locks between this location and the sea water rise is minimal .

About 55 miles inland from West coast , about 100 ftom East coast , takes a bit of the sting out of higher winds.

860-346-5008 if you need help finding a spot here. Good hardened docks go early , most are spoken for in the fall.

Here is the spot for big buck$.

Florida's Indoor/Outdoor Boat & Yacht Storage & Service ...

www.riverforestyc.com/

River Forest Yachting Centers of Stuart and LaBelle provide Florida's discriminating boat owners with luxurious, secure, long-term boat storage. Our two ...1 Google review · Write a review · Google+ page
1992 Williams Rd, Moore Haven, FL 33471
(863) 612-0003

Last edited:
FF is of course correct. He's in a great hurricane hole area.

That is one reason I like the idea of keeping the boat in the water and not on the hard. It can be moved away from the path of a storm. Not just put up on blocks and hope for the best.

A reminder that the OP is interested in the Daytona area. Well north of Okeechobee and definitely not a hurricane prone area.

This is something I've looked into as well, there are some yards with good tie down type on-the-hard storage, given you are away for so long I think pulling it is really the only option, you might need to travel to one of these places, maybe even Georgia could be an option.
Side story, once had a big boat trip down to the Bahamas, was toying with the idea of leaving in Fort Pierce Florida for the winter to travel down to it for the winter, 2 weeks after we headed north to go home, Fort Pierce was hit really hard with a hurricane, wiped out everything, so you do need to plan carefully.

A reminder that the OP is interested in the Daytona area. Well north of Okeechobee and definitely not a hurricane prone area.

That's true. But I still like mobility if you can. It jus gives you more options IMO. :D

That's true. But I still like mobility if you can. It jus gives you more options IMO. :D

I've never stored a boat on land. But I've also never winterized. However, his situation is different.

We do have the situation of a boat at home while we're cruising for six week stretches and we have it checked daily and started weekly, bottom cleaned monthly. We also have alarms and we have cameras so we can pull it up and check it from anywhere.

I know a yacht manager who does have customers who have gone three years between even laying eyes on their boat, so comparatively, seven months isn't that bad.

I still think the OP might be happier with it on land. I, personally, would have someone taking care of it for me in the water, but I would also find some way to visit it at least a couple of weekends here and there during the off time.

... the Daytona area. Well north of Okeechobee and definitely not a hurricane prone area.

I think you are being naive about hurricanes. Anywhere in Florida is a potential hurricane or tropical storm target and worse, anywhere in Florida can be impacted via both wind and rain. There is no assured safe haven from those elements although most of inland Florida is safe from storm surges. Also keep in mind many areas in Florida are below or at sea level. Southwest Florida has some real issues. The Miami Dade and Broward areas are not much better. The OP is right to be concerned. You might want to look at the path of 1964 Hurricane Dora. Also 1999 Hurricane Floyd impacted Daytona Beach. A hurricane doesn't make landfall to do significant dame. Skirting up the Atlantic Coastline is enough.

Pardon me if this has been answered before. I plan on keeping my boat in the Daytona area and was wondering if it's best to keep it in a slip or on the hard during the summer when I'm not there.

On the hard is the cheapest. Shrink wrap it if outside. And don't forget to keep up the insurance payments~

I think you are being naive about hurricanes. Anywhere in Florida is a potential hurricane or tropical storm target and worse, anywhere in Florida can be impacted via both wind and rain. There is no assured safe haven from those elements although most of inland Florida is safe from storm surges. Also keep in mind many areas in Florida are below or at sea level. Southwest Florida has some real issues. The Miami Dade and Broward areas are not much better. The OP is right to be concerned. You might want to look at the path of 1964 Hurricane Dora. Also 1999 Hurricane Floyd impacted Daytona Beach. A hurricane doesn't make landfall to do significant dame. Skirting up the Atlantic Coastline is enough.

Naive? I'm only dealing in facts, the history of hurricanes in some areas. We're discussing Daytona, not Southwest or South Florida.

Now, as to storm surge and threat in Broward, we live on a canal, just off the ICW. The history says no major storm surge where our home is located. The flood zones say the same. Insurance is not in the high flood range. This area of Fort Lauderdale was not even impacted heavily by Andrew. For our home to be impacted by storm surge it would have to be record surge for our location. The hundred year history would not reach the home.

As to Hurricane Floyd, perhaps you were there and have first hand knowledge, which I don't. However, the information I found indicates that over a million people were evacuated in Florida but ultimately it had little impact. It hit as a tropical storm and it did cause beach erosion on the East Coast. However, to your point, it did damage some piers in Volusia and Brevard Counties and 357 houses inland. Floyd only caused $45-50 million damage in Florida, but billions in NC.

I point out that was also 16 years ago.

I agree that anywhere on any coast has the potential of a hurricane. However, people generally believe the East Coast of Florida has more hurricanes and damage than it actually does and they believe further north has less than the reality.

I was reluctant to look at Hurricane Dora as it was long before I was born. It was famous I guess as the first storm since records were kept to have hurricane wind speeds in Jacksonville. It's greatest damage was north of St. Augustine. Dora and Cleo teamed up a bit too, then were followed by Hilda and Isbell.

I'm not saying to not have a hurricane plan. I am saying that the odds of a hurricane of major proportion hitting in any given year are relatively low in Daytona Beach.

The damage done to Brevard County by Hurricane Floyd happened when central Florida drained their lakes and canals and the majority of that water went into the Indian River Lagoon. That raised our water level by over 18", and then Floyd went by and although it didn't touch anything directly it did drop a lot of water. Given the flood conditions from Orange County draining their water runoff canals, it didn't take much to put docks and boats underwater.

The interesting thing about hurricanes was that we had more damage from a tropical storm than Charlie, Jean and Francis. They spawned a few tornadoes but that is expected.

The statistical models all show that New Orleans to TX shore has far greater chance of landfall of a hurricane.

Living in earthquake country, I'm always worried when my boat is on the hard (rock, rock, crash). Do it just for bottom service. Thankfully, it's not hurricane country.

Put it on the hard at Green Cove Springs Marina. Inexpensive, away from the coast, great place to commission in December. Sleep well all summer knowing that your boat is as safe it can be in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom