slight list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DELCHB

Vessel Name
Classy Lady
Vessel Make
CHB 34
My CHB34 has a slight list to starboard, and I think it may be because it seems that it's only using fuel from the port tank. Both tanks (new aluminum 150 gallon) are tee'd before the Racor filter with no selection valve in either line. Both tanks were full when I bought the boat about 9 months ago. I've now used about one third of the fuel in the port tank, but the starboard tank reads full. I'm thinking there's probably crud blocking the pickup, but any advice would be appreciated. This boat was not well-maintained before I bought it.

It could be a fuel blockage in the line from the starboard tank. Or it could be that for some reason the engine(s) have less resistance when pulling fuel from the port tank.

If the tanks are equipped with float-type electric fuel gauges it's possible for the float arm to get stuck even if the fuel level is above or below it. Sometimes a whack on the plate in the top of the tank that holds the float arm is enough to free it up.

If your tanks are equipped with sight tubes, there there is usually no fooling them unless one forgets to open a tube valve when taking a reading.

Once you get this problem sorted I'd recommend installing at least a shutoff valve in each tank line before the T.

PS-- From your other post it sounds like you already have a shutoff valve in each line prior to the T.

Last edited:
How about your return lines, are there valves in those lines to divert to a different tank. You should have a manifold setup to where you can draw or return to whatever tank you want. I suggest putting in this manifold so the options are available and this will tell you if one line is plugged in the future. I had the same situation when I bought my boat and brought it up from florida. Turns out the valves at the manifold were set up to draw from one tank and return to the other tank. We started to list and I caught just before fuel was going to start dumping out the vent line. Good Luck!

It gets confusing when two separate threads are presented simultaneously on the same subject by the same person ("Chb" and "slight list")

Helpful in correcting a significant list at dock (such as filling only one side tank) is to have a pump within the fuel-line circuits to transfer fuel. My pictured pump is part of the fuel-polishing system.

Back
Top Bottom