View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Oil Change Frequency

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

2. Years ago I recall Jaguar owners complaining about oil consumption and they were told not to worry as it was from cylinder wall lubrication loses and it should be considered a small price to pay for reduced wear of well lubricated parts.
This lubrication system was*developed *by the British car manufacturers and was known by the industry as the "Total Loss" oil system.* In addition to cylinder wall lube loss, this system also incorporated deliberate gasket and seal*leaks strategically placed throughout the engine to ensure a fairly rapid lube oil loss.

The theory behind "Total Loss" was that the operator would be forced to add oil at relatively short intervals to compensate for the loss, thus ensuring that the engine oil would be replenished with fresh oil on a continuing basis.* This in turn would ensure a longer engine life.

The British were so successful with the Total Loss oil system that it was adopted by several US vehicle manufacturers in the 1950s, the most notable being Harley-Davidson.

While the British tend to take credit for developing the Total Loss system there are some who claim they "stole" the idea from the aircraft engine industry.* Total Loss, or a version of it, had been used first in rotary and then radial engines since before WWI.

Vehicles (and aircraft)*that incorporate*the Total Loss oil system are easily identified by the puddle of oil that accumulates under the engine after it's been switched off.* In fact from the late 1940s until about 1975, many British vehicles when sold new came with a shallow pan to place under the engine to catch the oil and prevent the*staining of driveways and garage floors.* For example, the Land Rover Series III-88 that I purchased new in 1973*came with*a clever folding drip pan*for this purpose that could be stored in the tool compartment under the driver's seat.* I think I still have it somewhere.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote