Engine transplant Fiat (IVECO) out Gardner 6LXB in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Baker.* Could be Austrailan for "I can't post a picture".
Can't interpret the jibberish but I can't post a photo either.* It starts to load and then the communication with the site stops and the loading "animation" just keeps going around.* This has been the case with both PC and Mac, and MS Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.* Threw out cookies, reloaded preferences, no difference.

Ah, glad to hear that! Not that I don't want to see your pictures but I tried on a computer at work this afternoon and the same thing happened but I just wrote it off as a local problem. When I got home I tried on a different machine and got the same symptoms. I was able to load the picture as a new avatar though ...

I wonder if it has something to do with those snails and hamsters that have been crawling around the site recently?

Now that RTF's attack-slug has been outed on the site I expect it's exacting its revenge by shutting down the photo capability of the forum. Perhaps RTF should hire out his slug to the government to deal with the Wikileak problem......

RickB wrote:

Ah, glad to hear that! Not that I don't want to see your pictures but I tried on a computer at work this afternoon and the same thing happened but I just wrote it off as a local problem. When I got home I tried on a different machine and got the same symptoms. I was able to load the picture as a new avatar though ...

I wonder if it has something to do with those snails and hamsters that have been crawling around the site recently?
I thought I was having personal problems with photos myself. But, I finally determined with the aid of your post, that RT is the one responsible. I am relatively sure that he is doing this in the name of Assange and his Wicked Pedia. That is how you spell it isn't it.
clap.gif
Seriously, I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one with photo upload failure today.

Yup, got me too - I was blaming my recent Snow Leopard OS X upgrade as the culprit till I spotted Marin also having trouble. I couldn't even get the jibberish Benn of Tidahapa managed to post.
Hey Rick, what is that thing with the ribbon round it in your avatar?

Looks like a new boat he bought for me and I didn't even know he cared.
Benn

The avatar pic is the one I have been trying to upload. It is the Polar Star under a shrink wrap and scaffold tent at Rybovich in West Palm Beach having a bit of tween season work done.

I put it on the avatar just to see if the picture uploading problem was local or with the board. No problem making it an avatar but it still won't upload to a message.

Now for those pictures

Attachments

• p1000740.jpg
    p1000740.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 89
  • p1000739.jpg
    p1000739.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 88
  • p1000738.jpg
    p1000738.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 81
  • p1000737.jpg
    p1000737.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 87
  • p1000736.jpg
    p1000736.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 92
A few more Eng Room photos

Attachments

• p1000741.jpg
    p1000741.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 122
  • p1000742.jpg
    p1000742.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 125
  • p1000743.jpg
    p1000743.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 132
  • p1000744.jpg
    p1000744.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 111
Lookin' good Benn. When do you get your pinkies on that new engine...?

Peter,
I will have to ring Gary Bryant "The Gardner Man" before I get home from work.
Hopefully it will be ready to ship up to Tin Can early Feb.
He will set up the whole engine , gearbox, bilge/fire p/p and cruise alt as a unit ready for fitting.
See how it all goes, may take a little longer with Xmas in the middle and all.

Benn

Benn

Is that fuel rated hose*connecting the filters?

Ortac is fuel rated but not fire rated
I use it on short sections between copper lines.
Pretty happy with it and have used it for over 20 years.

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 07:38:19 PM

Benn,
Iv'e been looking at a boat that has a Gardner LW6A. You have any knowledge about that engine? What should I know about buying a boat w a Gardner in it. Where would one get gaskets, fuel injectors, starter motors, thermostats, water pumps ect ect??? Do they come equipped w glow plugs? Did Gardner use a lot of parts from other engines like pistons, valves and springs or would one need to always find the genuine Gardner part.
I loved the Buick straight eight and the Gardner seems a bit similar.
Have you got the engine yet?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 19th of December 2010 05:17:21 PM

Eric* I talked with a Gardner powered fishing boat operator in Prince George (oops Rupert) this summer. He said there were no problems getting parts and pieces. I bet there are a few operating in*Ketchican or Petersburg too.*

PS -- Just for you RickB - Arctic Char/Crow

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 20th of December 2010 11:33:21 AM

Prince George? What kind of fish?

Eric,
Gardner were engine builders in their own right.
Manufacturing a large range of marine and traction engines.
3,4 5 and 6 LW series 6 & 8 L3Bs 6 & 8 LXBs horizontal engines for buses.
They went out of production in the late 80s but spares are still available.
Many web sites in the UK with info.
The Gardner Enthusiast page is one

<cite>www.[b]gardner[/b]marine.com/</cite>
Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 03:33:45 AM

From everything I've ever heard and seen about Gardner engines is that they are 'beautiful'. Boats fitted with Gardners will rot to bits before the engines need replacing.

A lady ex-dentist I know who is now in her 80s, has a 42' Weymouth pilot boat with a single Gardner. She still does all the servicing herself and in the life of the engine she had had the heads off and carried out a top end service and re-grind of the valves....

Piers,
All the rumours and legends of Gardners are true.
hangin out for when my "new" engine is ready and I can start the job of installation.
Get home from Wesrtern Aus about 22 Jan so hopefully the engine may be ready by then.
Once the project restarts will keep the post alive.

Benn

Well with floods and cyclones progress has been put back a way as a couple of Gary's boys are working on the trawler (prawn) fleet* at karumba in the Gulf of carpenteria.
Hopefully they will be home in a week or so and work will progress more.
A couple of progress photos.
Upon completion the complete engine & gearbox will be painted Gardner grey and the exhaust manifold will be ceramic coated to cut down radiated heat.
Also have a new larger heat exchanger for the gearbox.
That's the other thing with the Gardner is the operating Temp 60deg C (140 F)

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 09:57:32 PM

Attachments

• p1000770.jpg
    p1000770.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 146
  • p1000771.jpg
    p1000771.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 297
  • p1000772.jpg
    p1000772.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 194
WoooHoooo....been waiting for thes pics!!! Now that is ART!!!

John,
Wait till the polished rocker covers and side plates go on and the paint work is complete.
It should look good.
That reminds me must get up and make the engine room pretty enough for the new engine.
Off to The Hobart Wooden Boat festival tomorrow so won't be home for about 5 days.
Will photograph any thing of beauty.

Benn

Well went out to see Gary Gardner and check on progress of engine.
Commin along very slowly.
A couple of his boys are due back from the trawler refits in the Gulf at the end of the week so progress should pick up;
The tappet covers and side plates are back from the polishers and should be on.
The exhaust then should ceramic coated , I am going back out around the 15 th and hopfully will have some more pics.
Due to have it readyb to ship up to Tin Can Bay last week march.

It's very hard when you are not doing the work yourself, would really like to give it a hurry up.

Hope So!!!

Benn,I wonder how the Gardner achieves good economy w 140 degree coolant and huge disp.?
Since Ton mentioned it I've heard several times about there being quite a number of Gardner powered boats in BC. I think that 42' converted fish boat is still available.

Tidahapah wrote:

Well went out to see Gary Gardner and check on progress of engine.
Commin along very slowly.
A couple of his boys are due back from the trawler refits in the Gulf at the end of the week so progress should pick up;
The tappet covers and side plates are back from the polishers and should be on.
The exhaust then should ceramic coated , I am going back out around the 15 th and hopfully will have some more pics.
Due to have it readyb to ship up to Tin Can Bay last week march.

It's very hard when you are not doing the work yourself, would really like to give it a hurry up.

Hope So!!!
Benn....know exactly how you feel.* I never felt so hekpless just waiting for the heat exchanger, oil cooler and exhaust knuckle to arrive and be installed, and it's taking an age and there is nothing I can do to speed things up.

Yeah Peter ,
It is a bit that way, especially since my boat is due for a haul out and I don't like going very far over due being timber.
The only saving grace at present is that with all the rain at least the water has been a bit fresh so not as much growth and may be no active worms around.
I may not be able to haul out until I get back to Mooloolaba, possibly mid to late April.

Benn

Ain't modern comms great.
The other day (last Wed) I had to do a quick bit of research to find a new drive plate so that my SCG gearbox can be fitted to the 6LXB.
Lansing Marine in the UK had the goods. I made a quick phone call to confirm that the drive plate was a 10 spline and SAE 1 unit.
I wanted 2 as I like to carry a spare (for very remote location breakdowns)

Tuesday morning they turn up on the doorstep, 1 week UK to Aus and they assembled the plates to get them away.
Back down to " Gary Gardner" on Friday to see how the progress is.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom