anchors (or the lack there-of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
Both of the cruising sailboats I have owned have had 2 anchors on the bow. But, I am mildly alarmed that several of the trawlers I am lusting after on yachtworld have only one. When the weather forecast suggests a 2-hook-night (or when the anchorage bottom requires a different style of anchor than you typically use), do you drag a spare hook and buckets of anchor rode to the foredeck, or do you just hope you can get by with the single anchor that normally decorates your bow?

Many/most boats over forty feet in length have two anchors on the bow. I'm dubious, however. How well do two-anchor-off-bow arrangements work with frequent tidal or wind changes?

Mark, I carry two anchors on the bow. They are different types for different bottoms but I have never run both at the same time (although the set up allows it)

I've never had two anchors on the bow. Furthermore I've never had ONE anchor on the bow. I typically have two anchors on the foredeck and two or more in the hold. So every time I anchor I have my choice of anchors and little time is needed to attach one to the rode that is always handy.

I may very well abandon my ways and put an oversized Claw fixed on the bow roller. Or my truncated Mamson Supreme. No real need to have it on the bow as it only weighs 15lbs but it's a great conversation piece.

I'm one of the few on this forum that have the option of anchoring this way due mostly to the size of my boat and thus my anchors. The 33 lb Claw is easy enough to mount on the bow roller and deploy but rather awkward to stow. So it will probably be the first anchor to be fixed on our bow.

I've never deployed more than one anchor but I'm looking fwd to trying it and a little apprehensive about keeping the aft rode out of the prop.

Have one for now, but plan to have two on the bow.

A few years ago I was telling a store owner in Prince Rupert all about the new super high holding anchors. He nodded towards a large selection of Lewmar Claws and said, "Yah, well, I get a lot of repeat customers".

So...the plan is to have a day to day anchor suitable for 'normal' anchoring, and also have a storm anchor with a much longer rode for winter/storm use or anchoring in deeper water. This way, the normal sized anchor will be subjected to the most risk of being fouled in the root system of some waterlogged tree, but plan B is always ready to go.

So far, keeping it just to the San Francisco estuary. The single-bow anchor is a 33-pound claw that works great in the heavy mud here. If wanted to be more "aggressive" and venture into outside waters, I'd think first about acquiring an epirb and liferaft, and secondarily an anchor "upgrade." Believe a single bow anchor should be a "generalist" and not designed for a single type of sea bottom.

Last edited:
Many/most boats over forty feet in length have two anchors on the bow. I'm dubious, however. How well do two-anchor-off-bow arrangements work with frequent tidal or wind changes?

Having 2 anchors has been a good thing in my experience. Here are some examples. (1) You are anchored just fine this evening, but when the front comes through tonight, the wind shift will put you dangerously close to those coral heads that are presently far ahead of you. (2) You are in a popular, crowded anchorage, and all your neighbors have 2 anchors down. (3) Anchoring in significant tidal current areas, where the current reverses every 6 hours (not uncommon in places like Nova Scotia and British Columbia). (4) In a strong blow, 2 anchors deployed on a "v" configuration are about the best boat insurance you can buy. (5) One afternoon, after several unsuccessful anchoring attempts with my delta, I was able to easily switch to the Bruce, which dug-in on the first attempt. As for setting 2 anchors at the same time, the best way I have found is to use chain on both, deploy both anchors, attach anchor chain #1 to anchor chain #2, and then toss anchor chain #1 overboard. This avoids a horrible twisted mess with the 2 anchor lines the next morning.

I keep two anchors on Sherpa. My primary is a claw and backup is a Danforth. They are both stored in my boats aft engine compartment. I am really contemplating changing out the anchor roller so my anchor can be stored and ready to deploy. I've seen arrangements on smaller trawlers where the spare anchor is stored on the stainless steel railing at the bow--I'm contemplating this as well.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 100
I keep four anchors instantly available for use… on bow section. No picture currently available; may take one to share next time we’re out in boat.

One on the bow anchor slide-chock, one each side in vertical position on SS hangers off the bow rail and one secured tightly on the deck. All are dual fluke Danforth anchor-type designs, two are actual Danforth’s. They are comprised of the following weights; used for the following purposes.

1. 35 lb Danforth fastened securely on front deck… for anchoring in rough weather
2. 25 lb Danforth port side bow rail on SS hanger… for anchoring in general conditions
3. 12 lb large fluke, aluminum ”Viking” anchor (it’s a basic Danforth design) stbd side bow rail on SS hanger can be off hooked and carried to be used with rear stowed chain and line for back anchor when needed; quick clip connection of chain to anchor shaft
4. 10 lb small fluke, heavy gauge, galvanized anchor (basic Danforth design) for use while boat is first nosed into SF Delta tules and hurling it some 40 + feet off bow into tule patch and securing into tule roots with windless assistance. I then set back anchor in position via our runabout and between the rode on each I jockey the boat into position for long stays with swimming galore available. This 10 lb anchor at times snags so securely into tule and underbrush land roots that it will not loosen even with assist from a rated 3,500 lb windless having line-rode triple wrapped on its capstan and me pulling with all my mite. At those times it is needed to secure anchor rode to large center bow cleat and pull anchor out of tules with twins in reverse. Then secure anchor as required.

I keep aboard a 3,500 lb capacity "Powerwinch" brand windless as a spare that is exactly same as the one that came on our 1977 Tollycraft. This one has never been used and although it's three plus decades old it's in original box with instructions, parts list, way past due main-in warrantee card, and a weather cover. I keep it if ever needed for replacement. I have as many spare parts as possible for important boating items. IMHO – an operational windless of type desired is very important! Found this unused exact Powerwinch windless replacement on CL for fraction of it's real cost. And, if ever needed, replacing it to original set up would be fast/easy!

Happy Windless/Anchoring Daze!- Art :D

Last edited:
Yes many trawlers only have one anchor roller. Those with one anchor roller sometimes have a divided anchor locker which is the case with our Mainship Pilot 34.

My anchor roller has a 33 lb Bruce on it (fits into the slotted bow extension, a Rocna or similar won't) and 200' of chain flaked into one side of the locker. The other side has 50' of chain and 150' of rope. It has a shackle on the end ready to hook up a Fortress secondary anchor and deploy.

I have used both in a V arrangement when the wind picked up and I wanted the extra holding of the Fortress. I would never consider using two anchors in a so called Bahamian mooring- too much hassle unwinding the two rodes.

The Fortress is light enough that it would be easy to deploy off the stern if you needed one.

This scheme works for me and isn't too complicated to deploy when needed.

David

Vashon Trawler,
Top two pics show my Claw on Willy's bow roller. The pitched up angle isn't ideal but works OK. Need some chocks in the bow roller channel to keep the anchor from swinging (roll axis).

Bottom two pics show two bigger boats w two anchors ready for action. The Susan Gael has her anchors too close to the water for my taste. Must make a lot of spray in rough going. The other boat has a really big Forfjord on the stbd side and an even heavier Navy anchor on the other side. Probably two heavy all chain rodes also. A Rocna w a combination rode could be 1/10th or 1/20th the weight and have more holding power.

The three sizes or/and types of anchors .. lunch hook, working anchor and storm anchor works well but w some anchors like the Rocna and the SARCA performing in 99% of bottom types and being very easy to deploy and retrieve one anchor makes a lot of sense. But add a sizable Fortress to the above and one could be better off than another with 3 or more types and sizes. I think that's where the keen interest in anchor performance comes in. But sadly too many think "performance" is just holding power. I'm very prone to think most of performance as flexibility and the capability to hold the boat in many different scenarios involving bottom types, veering capabilities, retrieveability, scope range, bow mounting compatibility, Style and even cost. If an anchor excelled in all of that I'd get a lower holding performance anchor and feel real safe. And just for good measure since "size matters" I'd get a size larger. Incidentally my new over sized Claw fits this philosophy quite well.

But I'm not suggesting anyone go forth w only one anchor. However the idea of one anchor doing everything is far closer to reality than ever before. I'll bet most everybody here just uses one anchor and having spares. If it's just as easy to deploy your storm anchor as your lunch hook why bother getting out the little guy?

Attachments

• DSCF1616 copy.jpg
    DSCF1616 copy.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF1615 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1615 copy 3.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF1637 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1637 copy 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF1474 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1474 copy 2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 107
We have an anchor on the bow and an anchor on the stern. There have been times we've used both of them to keep the boat pointed the way we wanted. I can't imagine using two anchors off the bow at the same time because in our reversing, swirling currents we would have an amazing tangle by the time we wanted to retrieve them.

In all my decades of boating I never strung two anchors off bow. I believe in using the singular correct size and weight anchor for the situation at hand.

I have a fortress FX-37 and 300' of Acco 5/16 bbb chain on the bow, it's overkill for my boat but I sleep well on the hook.

Just one 15 lb Trefoil on the roller, but as I get the boat set-up I'll have a few Fortresses (FX-11 and 16 left over from my bigger boat days) ready to deploy as either a secondary front anchor or a rear for those times when you need it...
I generally boat in relatively unchallenging anchorages and my 28' is only 8500 lbs...

IMG_0152-vi.jpg

Only one anchor on the bow, but I have a backup anchor with spare chain/rode tucked safely down below.
This is the minimum requirement for local regs, outside of protected waters.

I have yet to use the 2nd anchor, but its nice to have if the primary anchor is lost.
I wouldn't use both at the same time unless I deployed the 2nd off the stern.

I carry two. A friend once told me of situation he had where the first didn't hold and only because he had a second did he save his boat. He picked up a lobster bout pm his wheel. Not the line the bouy.
So after that story I carry two. On my maiden voyage with this boat I lost my engine in the Harlem river. Main would not grab so I deployed number two that saved me.
Never will be without 2 again.
End of story.

Jleonard,
I had a similar experience w sounders. Had two ever since.

Like many of us, besides the primary anchor at the bow, got a secondary anchor (Fortress) and rode in the stern lazarette for backup and for a stern anchor. Haven't used the Fortress yet.

I keep four anchors instantly available for use… on bow section. No picture currently available; may take one to share next time we’re out in boat.

One on the bow anchor slide-chock, one each side in vertical position on SS hangers off the bow rail and one secured tightly on the deck. All are dual fluke Danforth anchor-type designs, two are actual Danforth’s. They are comprised of the following weights; used for the following purposes.

1. 35 lb Danforth fastened securely on front deck… for anchoring in rough weather
2. 25 lb Danforth port side bow rail on SS hanger… for anchoring in general conditions
3. 12 lb large fluke, aluminum ”Viking” anchor (it’s a basic Danforth design) stbd side bow rail on SS hanger can be off hooked and carried to be used with rear stowed chain and line for back anchor when needed; quick clip connection of chain to anchor shaft
4. 10 lb small fluke, heavy gauge, galvanized anchor (basic Danforth design) for use while boat is first nosed into SF Delta tules….

I keep aboard a 3,500 lb capacity "Powerwinch" brand windless as a spare that is exactly same as the one that came on our 1977 Tollycraft. This one has never been used and although it's three plus decades old it's in original box with instructions...And, if ever needed, replacing it to original set up would be fast/easy!

Happy Windless/Anchoring Daze!- Art :D

Oh, Art…you're a lovely fellow and nobody can deny…but it's posts like this that give meaning to the reason why anchor research went on, and why folk with the new generation (usually roll bar type) multi-bottom capable anchors have gone down that rode, ('scuse the pun). Precisely so one does not have to have all that hardware on the bow or stowed somewhere else. Not trying to be provocative here, just addressing the issue raised.

People who have these newer type will, virtually without exception, never have had to change their anchor to get a good set, and if they drag, will admit it was because they never should have been trying to anchor where they were, in the conditions they were in anyway. I have a back-up Danforth type which came with the boat - it has never come out of the lazaret.

Speaking from experience, just trying to disconnect my anchor recently to remove the swivel recently, and remove the winch 3 yrs ago because of dirty/worn brushes, neither action is fast or easy, especially the latter...just saying'…
Fortunately, the fact your 'new' 30 yr old spare winch is still in its box is testament as to just how reliable and forgiving they are. Just as well you got it cheap.

Both of the cruising sailboats I have owned have had 2 anchors on the bow. But, I am mildly alarmed that several of the trawlers I am lusting after on yachtworld have only one. When the weather forecast suggests a 2-hook-night (or when the anchorage bottom requires a different style of anchor than you typically use), do you drag a spare hook and buckets of anchor rode to the foredeck, or do you just hope you can get by with the single anchor that normally decorates your bow?

I have not yet encountered a 2-hook night. I like to think that's at least partly through anchor selection. (Although I do follow weather very closely, too.)

Our pulpit is a single slot-through design; I'd like to have two anchors mounted, but haven't figured out a graceful way to do that. That in turn led to selection of an anchor most suited for the areas (and holding ground) we frequent, and then upsizing.

And it also led to the selection of a secondary anchor system (i.e., including secondary rode) that can be easily stowed but also easily deployed, for instances where a different type of anchor would work better. Or for augmenting the primary. And then we upsized that, too.

And then we have another anchor -- also manually deployable and yet another design -- and rode aboard when yet a third design might be required. Hasn't happened yet, but I like having the possibility.

Bottom line, we just tried to find decent workarounds for the pulpit shortcomings. Not all that difficult.

Let your lust loose.

:)

-Chris

Oh, Art…you're a lovely fellow and nobody can deny…but it's posts like this that give meaning to the reason why anchor research went on, and why folk with the new generation (usually roll bar type) multi-bottom capable anchors have gone down that rode, ('scuse the pun). Precisely so one does not have to have all that hardware on the bow or stowed somewhere else. Not trying to be provocative here, just addressing the issue raised.

People who have these newer type will, virtually without exception, never have had to change their anchor to get a good set, and if they drag, will admit it was because they never should have been trying to anchor where they were, in the conditions they were in anyway. I have a back-up Danforth type which came with the boat - it has never come out of the lazaret.

Speaking from experience, just trying to disconnect my anchor recently to remove the swivel recently, and remove the winch 3 yrs ago because of dirty/worn brushes, neither action is fast or easy, especially the latter...just saying'…
Fortunately, the fact your 'new' 30 yr old spare winch is still in its box is testament as to just how reliable and forgiving they are. Just as well you got it cheap.

Howdy Pete - The word "Lovely" is not at all usually affixed to my personage. But, thanks for placing it in the textual manner you printed. You are a really good, delightful chap - Too! Don’t cha know!! :D

Regarding my current four anchors aboard our fun Tolly... What Fun! Each has a purpose and each fulfills its need. Although having spent many years boating on (at times rough) coastal waters of the Atlantic throughout New England and sometime in the relatively (usually) placid confines of SF Bay, due to my wife's and my current needs/desires we boat in just about the calmest tidal-affected fresh waters available anywhere... The San Francisco Delta’s sloughs. I keep a few anchors aboard, ready to deploy simply to play with them in the most yucky-mucky mud-bottom I’ve ever experienced… as well as anchoring into the SF Delta’s Island edges where I nose our Tolly in and cast anchor forward off bow into the dry Island growth for snagging tule and other plant life roots. We do not cruise distances often in the Delta with our fully self-contained Tolly – we do often anchor for days-on-end and swim a lot, as well as to spend many long hours/days cruising around in our extremely comfortable tow behind Crestliner runabout that does 25 knot easy-cruise at approximately 21 nmpg! Nearly 40 knots wide open with still very reasonable nmpg. A few years ago there was an emergency on land happening to our Matriarch. She had hospital care ensuing but there was immediate need for family being present. Soooo – With three aboard that I needed to get back to vehicles ASAP for 100 mile drive - the Crestliner was a blessing. All four of us plus considerable luggage quickly covered the miles needed to reach dock, and, the rest is history… Ruth our Grand Ol’ Lady is still doing pretty darn well at 91 years. We and she watched our 14 yr old grandson (great grandson to Ruth) Cooper play in (star in) two basketball tournament games last eve. His team won one in OT and lost the second by one point! Another fun portion of our lives… my voice is hoarse from those games.

Anyway – Being that I/we often leave abandoned for a day our boat that is anchored in solitude in areas with tidal-current actions as well as occasionally some strong winds I need to feel that the anchor deployed will in no way slip loose. Matter of fact, this summer, I hope/plan to purchase and experiment with an aluminum “Fortress FX 23” to be used with its 45 degree shank to fluke soft-mud angle and its mud-palms attached as back anchor to become a replacement of our current “Viking” aluminum back anchor. Also, not long ago I sold a classic 30 lb Danforth to a professional crabber, he loves it! I like to play with anchors and I love the twin fluke style that Danforth Anchors originated so many decades ago. Properly settled into the water with proper rode tension maintained during anchor decent to bottom and them whispered into its “fluke-bite” with eventual strong pull to fully dig-it-in to attain its full-fluke set – For Me – Danforth anchor design wins hands down over others. Fortress Anchors seem to offer considerable improvements on Danforth’s general design… I’ll comment on Fortress FX 27 after numerous uses. Of course there are some bottom conditions wherein the Danforth dual fluke design may not be best anchor design available to utilize… But… those conditions do not exist where we currently boat, have boated, or plan to boat!

Happy Pleasure-Boat-Anchor Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Peter B wrote;
"Oh, Art…you're a lovely fellow and nobody can deny…but it's posts like this that give meaning to the reason why anchor research went on"

RESEARCH? Like anchors in test tubes? And a great scientist makes a breakthrough? And "new generation?" Like there's really something new? Great sun doggies from the sky where our deities reside?

HAHA you give the anchor builders way too much hype and even credit. Probably all anchors are designed by common folk most probably not even being from a reputable school of engineering. Some to many anchors were undoubtedly were created in garages and basements. And all are just slight modifications of all that have come before. And all are presented as some sort of miracle.

I'm not trying to say newer anchors are not better. I think they are but like most all new things they are usually not as good in some ways. And there has probably been genuine research done for some anchors. Like the Frenchman that designed the Spade. He spent a lot of time deciding what shape of fluke would create the most drag. Then he went on to develop the rest of the anchor. Seems like that's getting close to "research" but it's still an individual reading what he could find and perhaps doing simple tests that were probably more subjective than scientific research would employ.

Anchors are probably not even as important as fence posts and I think you're making way too much of the latest anchors. Actually roll bars are already somewhat dated.

Marin well yea what's the alternative?

Re the subject of the post at least you have enough faith in your newish anchor to not seem to need an alternate on the bow.

The alternative to anchors is to use the one you've got .... probably one that has stood the test of time, it's free and probably hasn't failed you. There are cars twice as fast as my VW but I haven't had a need to go as fast as the VW. A little more comfort wouldn't hurt though.

As for two anchors on my bow my anchors are so small it would be pointless.

Marin and Peter B,
I made a survey today of all the anchors that were visible on J and K floats in LaConner. Seems there were 35 steel Danforths, And 22 Claws. Then there was One Fjord, 7 Deltas, 4 CQRs, 3 Fortress's and three Rocnas.

So well over to third's of the anchors were Dans or Claws. And only one brand of what you (Marin) consider "new generation" or roll bar anchors. Looks like "new generation" skippers are an extreme minority and there's no revolution is sight. Since this survey was taken on 30' slips one would expect to find a lower number of Dans and Claws and more "next gen" anchors in the 36' slips. Probably not night and day though.

So I wouldn't be criticizing Art too heavily for not surrounding himself w all the groovy stuff.

A Manson set pretty well on a beach.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430092882.259245.jpg

... yes, no wonder if the scope is 1:∞ ... :D

I should've said the part where I was paid by Manson to say that..... :D With the boat beached it was demanding some major holding power. :rolleyes:

Marin and Peter B,
I made a survey today of all the anchors that were visible on J and K floats in LaConner. Seems there were 35 steel Danforths, And 22 Claws. Then there was One Fjord, 7 Deltas, 4 CQRs, 3 Fortress's and three Rocnas.

So well over to third's of the anchors were Dans or Claws. And only one brand of what you (Marin) consider "new generation" or roll bar anchors. Looks like "new generation" skippers are an extreme minority and there's no revolution is sight. Since this survey was taken on 30' slips one would expect to find a lower number of Dans and Claws and more "next gen" anchors in the 36' slips. Probably not night and day though.

So I wouldn't be criticizing Art too heavily for not surrounding himself w all the groovy stuff.

The number of Danforth in comparison speaks for itself. Be good to learn age of boat owners that use different anchor types as well as knowing how long each boat owner (irrespective of their ages) had been exposed to marine life.

Unfortunately that survey would take some time and effort to maintain accuracy. Maybe we could chip in a fund for Eric???... to continue his "user survey". :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom