Anchor Ball Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you display an anchor ball when anchoring in the daytime?

• Yes - rules are rules

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • No - This rule is outdated.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Depends. In certain circumstances I might

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Display an anchor what?

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters

loafs and fishes

Vessel Name
loafs and fishes
Vessel Make
Nimble Nomad
When you anchor in the daytime, do you display an anchor ball?

Yes, if for nothing else for liability. There are enough knuckle heads out there so why not when one is less than $20.

Only if we are anchored in a place that gets a fair amount of through traffic. More as a mitigation of liability, as 95% of boaters, and probably 99.999% of reckless ones, know what it is for.

In a crowed anchorage where people are coming and going a lot, yes. Otherwise no.

Yes, takes so little effort. Why not.

Another Anchoring thread in General.

Anchor balls can potentially get fouled in running gear when things get confused in slack wind and tide. At night someone could foul in the line entering/leaving the anchorage at night.

I don't use one.

Greetings,
Mr. S. I think Mr. lf is referring to a black ball day signal you fly from your mast while anchored to let other boaters KNOW you're anchored and not drifting...

2Q==
2Q==

2Q==

Last edited:
deleted

Attachments

• Lady-B-Dubois-Dubois-Sloop-107.jpg
    Lady-B-Dubois-Dubois-Sloop-107.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 205
Greetings,
Mr. S. I think Mr. lf is referring to a black ball day signal you fly from your mast while anchored to let other boaters KNOW you're anchored and not drifting...

2Q==
2Q==

2Q==
Yes

The only anchor ball I've seen displayed regularly is on the fuel barge often anchored in one of designated general anchorages of Carquinez Strait. The only time seen on a pleasure boat (probably professionally crewed) was when anchored in Gaten Lake (Panama Canal).

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B84%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B5388968%3A245ot1lsi

Designated general anchorages (leastwise in the U.S.) do not exempt one from anchor light or ball requirements. Only in designated special anchorages is there exemption.

Most all boats observed anchored are fishing, and they never display a day shape.

Last edited:
I have been boating and anchoring out for 23 years and I don't believe I have ever seen an anchor ball. If I did it was only once or twice in that time.

I have been boating and anchoring out for 23 years and I don't believe I have ever seen an anchor ball. If I did it was only once or twice in that time.

Lots of people in cars don't use turn signals either.

I just keep two round dayshapes hoisted all the time.

Keeps everyone in the know on their toes.

I believe the black anchor ball regulation is for vessels >50 metres in length. Vessels less than 50 metres only need display the anchor light at dusk to dawn. I could be convinced otherwise.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I believe the black anchor ball regulation is for vessels >50 metres in length. Vessels less than 50 metres only need display the anchor light at dusk to dawn. I could be convinced otherwise.

Jim

Not so JD. That refers to a second all-round light. Vessels under seven meters in length needn't display a day shape if not near a channel.

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in Rule 30(a)(i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in Rule 30(a).

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in Rule 30(a) or (b) and in addition, if practicable, where they can best be seen;
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
(ii) three balls in a vertical line.
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in Rule 30(a) and (b).

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 30(d)(i) and (ii). ...

Yes, Mark. I stand corrected. I interpreted it incorrectly. I thought it was an either or thing, but I now see that it depends on the time of day. Transport Canada, Chapter 9:

"Anchored Vessels
Vessels that are at anchor and are less than 50 metres long must exhibit, depending on the time of day and visibility, an all-round white light or one ball where it can best be seen (see Figure 9-7)."

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It is not practiced in Australia at all. However, displaying an all around white anchor light when anchored at night is obligatory, though not required if on a mooring as opposed to on anchor.

I don't own a ball and I've never seen a ball displayed by small vessels like ours. I use the white anchor light when anchored at night.

Is there any prohibition against running the black ball day shape 24/7/365? I looked but can't find one.

it denotes being anchored....if at anchor...no problem with leaving it up...just display an anchor light at night too.

Last edited:
I use one 80% of the time. Mine is touted as being a radar reflector as well. I do normally leave it up at night as well, not so much for the radar reflection properties as to lazy to take it down.

I have the anchor "ball" but have never used it. But then I anchor rarely (about once a year; don't fish) and most of the time over-night. :blush::nonono::facepalm:

Last edited:
Is there any prohibition against running the black ball day shape 24/7/365? I looked but can't find one.

It indicates one is anchored. So, only when one's anchored, Al.

Judging from the number of day signals I've sold over the years, I doubt that even one in fifty boats has one onboard.

Judging from the number of day signals I've sold over the years, I doubt that even one in fifty boats has one onboard.
I wish the sailboaters would but you out of steaming cones.....drives me nuts going out of my way only to see the engine exhaust stream after going by them. :rolleyes:

I always display the anchor ball. Besides being a rule, I believe it has helped me when the water cops come by. It's OBVIOUS I know the rules and comply. I've only seen one or two others displayed, but hey, I've only been out here seven years so there's still hope eh?

And a friend (hi Bill!) called me once to say he saw a sailboat with an anchor ball. This should not be a rare occurrence.

From observation, the only folks with real anchor lights (not solar lawn lights) are cruisers. Locals are slack. And almost nobody puts up a black anchor ball.

I've almost never seen one in the U.S. and didn't even know of the requirement until I took the Master's class.

In Europe however they are used pretty much by everyone and you can be fined without it.

I've almost never seen one in the U.S. and didn't even know of the requirement until I took the Master's class.

Similar here. This thread is first I have heard of it. Since my boat doesn't have a mast, I am scratching my head as to where/how to mount one similar to what I found on Defender since there is a paucity of information about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom