New poster, looking forward to joining you all ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Avista wrote:

Like 'Pineapple Girl' we have a galley down configuration now and love it. We have had the galley up , but don't like staring in the sink or at the stove when kicking back on the sofa. Best thing imho*is to come down to Florida for a few days and look at a bunch of boats; something will appeal to you. Find what pleases you, you know whaat they say about opinions being like belly buttons.
And....welcome.

-- Edited by Avista on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:44:50 PM
Bellybuttons. Why is it that I was thinking lower than that? Oh, never mind!!!

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:50:19 PM

Regarding galley position, I think once a boat gets large enough a down galley can be a real bonus.* The main cabin is more open with more room for people to sit or move about.*

The only boat I am personally *familiar with where the galley position is an option is the Grand Banks 46.* The GB46 used to be our dream boat-- it's not anymore--- but at one point we were considering a move up to one and*we did some pretty close examinations of a pair of them, one galley up and one galley down.* We decided the galley down setup was much better.*

However---- GB designed the down*galley so it is not cut off from the main cabin.* The galley is on the port side and there is open space between it and the main cabin--- the aft bulkhead of the galley does not go all the way up.* So someone working in the galley is still "connected" to the folks in the main cabin.

In a smaller boat, either a tri-cabin or europa/sedan, a down galley would either have to be extremely small or the already-small living space forward would have to be reduced even more to accomodate it.* A down galley would not be desirable on our boat, for example, a GB36.* And my wife likes the fact that when she's working at the stove or the galley counter on our boat she can see what's going on around us.

Galley down is great on a larger boat, as you cant hear the Galley Slave chains dragging.

Our Camano was galley down, the Monk is galley up we don't have a preference.
Friends listed galley up on their must have list when they were buying. they found a boat they both wanted, it was galley down. They bought the boat*but renamed it Galley UP!
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:29:39 AM

SeaHorse II wrote:

Virginia:

... you are going to have more help than you want!
That's become obvious, given the extent of responses*to this thread.* It also supports my theory that one should employ the female on board to make any needed Mayday or Pan calls.

Thanks everyone! It is pretty clear to me that galley position is just one of those things you have to experience in person to see if it works for you on that particular boat. I can't tell if galley down on the Atlantic 30s means you give up the big hanging locker, so I think I just have to find one and walk around on it to get a sense of what works.

markpierce, that is a hilarious and excellent idea. Maybe there is a market for a recorded female mayday! Also, I love your boat. What a great design!

vjm wrote:

*I love your boat. What a great design!
Thanks, Vim.* I don't have any regrets.* It "drinks" six, "feeds" four and sleeps two comfortably in a double bed.* Kitchen is in the saloon, and the pilothouse, higher than*the saloon,*sits four.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 10th of December 2010 09:17:23 PM

The Chapman's arrived today. I can see why people frequently tell someone who is dreaming of boating to go read it first, and then come back if they are still interested. There is enough here to keep me busy for all of winter break.

Better than most law textbooks though, since it has pictures.

Good book, but I find the contents and especially the*index-page references in error, as well as*picture or so printed upside down.* Gee, you'd think they'd get it right by the 66th edition.

"and sleeps two comfortably in a double bed"

Hope you have a bundeling board if the double is near the bow and you ever plan on anchoring ou

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom