Essential tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have screw drivers with clips on the end to hold small screws for both straight & cross-point screws, helps to keep from dropping the screws in non-retrievable places.

Tools are only as good as you are.

Specialty tools are really only necessary for those travelling far from civilization or places that don't have hardware stores or Advance Auto type places that don't lend or rent specialty tools.

Having a bunch of tools to do projects aboard that you probably would wait to do correctly when you get back just take up room and get old and rusty or are so buried you wind up just using the 11 in 1 or the crescent wrench...why?...because its handy and will get the job done.

While many varied tools make jobs easier for the talented, experienced, whatever....reality is for many jobs on the boat, the multipurpose tool (like the 11 in 1 screwdriver) will get the job done till in port or better yet, homeport).

Sure...if you are the type...own and store the best 2000 piece tool set properly stored that goes for $10,000+....but many get the job done just fine with far less.

All you need is a credit card, a towboat card, and a satphone.

Just kidding.

I carried 100lbs of tools on my last month long cruise. Needed a screwdriver once to fix a fishing reel and also to fix my bike. Boat systems needed virtually no fixes.

My theory is if you take enough tools, the gods of machinery are satisfied with your humility and will protect your machines from gremlins.

We have more tools on the boat than at home. Pretty much everything that has already been covered here, so not much to add. What I will add, however, is a good storage system. Several years ago I gave up on tool boxes for staples like screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers. They are bulky, hard to find things burried at the bottom, and often wasted space. I now have several tool rolls on board. One for screwdrivers and wrenches, another for pliers and such. It is great how easy it is to see what you have, and they take up much less room. This is the one we use:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1173-32-Pocket-Socket/dp/B000KKUTCY/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0

81NIB2zKHwL._SL1500_.jpg

Those "wrench wraps" are awesome. Got three, SAE, DIN, and big wrenches.

Don't get me wrong....I love tools and have been working as a multi-level marine tech on boats for 15 years and over 40 years on my own boats.

But what are you ACTUALLY going to use while underway/cruising?

Based on many posts here through the years....many have yards do what I consider pretty easy jobs not requiring any special tools.

So while Ski was kidding...based on 12 years+ with a towing company....many boaters, including the looping type do just rely on towing and a credit card...

So if you are not...good...more tools the merrier. If you are that type...why struggle with stowing and remembering where they all are? :D

Psneeld - We have a lot of tools on the boat for a few reasons:

1. We have a very small home with limited storage. In some repsects, I have more room for tools on the boat than at home. Also, being that home is a condo and relatively new, we don't do much in the way of projects at home.
2. Prior to the Tug, we had an 80s sailboat on which we did almost a complete refit over the course of 7 years of ownership. Needed lots of tools on the boat for that.
3. We (I) do all the work on the boat ourselves. Everything from fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, to engine mechanical. So we need all the tools and supplies with us.
4. It is a real pain to drive from home to the boat just to realize that we (I) don't have a tool that we need.
5. I was an auto tech in a prior life, and collecting good tools is in my blood. The wife never complains if I spend money on tools, as it means that something is going to get fixed/upgraded.
6. Why not? We've got the room and I use just about everything over the course of a year (except maybe the skill saw).

All that said, we do have tow insurance and a credit card. But, I actually enjoy working on the boat, crazy as that sounds, and I like to be self sufficient. The tools do take up space, but not enough to really be an issue for us.

Psneeld - We have a lot of tools on the boat for a few reasons:

1. We have a very small home with limited storage. In some repsects, I have more room for tools on the boat than at home. Also, being that home is a condo and relatively new, we don't do much in the way of projects at home.
2. Prior to the Tug, we had an 80s sailboat on which we did almost a complete refit over the course of 7 years of ownership. Needed lots of tools on the boat for that.
3. We (I) do all the work on the boat ourselves. Everything from fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, to engine mechanical. So we need all the tools and supplies with us.
4. It is a real pain to drive from home to the boat just to realize that we (I) don't have a tool that we need.
5. I was an auto tech in a prior life, and collecting good tools is in my blood. The wife never complains if I spend money on tools, as it means that something is going to get fixed/upgraded.
6. Why not? We've got the room and I use just about everything over the course of a year (except maybe the skill saw).

All that said, we do have tow insurance and a credit card. But, I actually enjoy working on the boat, crazy as that sounds, and I like to be self sufficient. The tools do take up space, but not enough to really be an issue for us.

OK...not hard to understand...my nor anyone else's suggestions should be taken personally or absolutely.

I have done some woodworking on my boat. I used to have table saws, routers, jig saws, band saws, miter saws, circular saws, specialty saws, hand saws, coping saws, reciprocating saws...etc...etc.

Guess what I had on the boat and got the job done?

Many boaters I know have way more spare parts and tools on their boat than they are willing to put to good use while coastal cruising.

For people asking what tools they need, all I am saying is be honest with yourself rather than relying on someone else's list.

I have a friend that has a top notch multimeter on board....for 20 years now...he still doesn't know jack about electricity and troubleshooting it.

He also has a sextant...I don't...but he wants me to teach him how to use it.

I started with all the basic tool plus stuff unique to my boat that I could think of while sitting in the ER considering tasks. Then as I did work I added tool specific to that job or more helpful. Eventually I never needed to leave theboat for more tools. Worked well for me.

But what are you ACTUALLY going to use while underway/cruising?
:D

I could write a very long post about what I have repaired while underway or at anchor but I won't. Many times it's for a cruising buddy, sometimes to help a stranger. :nonono:

I have quite possibly a literal ton of tools on my boat - from an air compressor down to jeweler screwdrivers. My challenge is storing them and - ultimately - finding them quickly when needed.

My #1 tool to that end is a label-maker.

Great info on the tools, I can't imagine what you guys carry in spare parts?

This is my first year with a Mainship 30 pilot. I have built my tool bag by what I have needed over the last four months while working under shrink wrap on the hard. Space is my main concern I have already filled the center storage with manuals and a small amount of spare parts, screws ect. The wife has claimed just about every other dry storega area on the boat. This leaves with my fifty pound tool bag and no great place top put it? Maybe I need a bigger boat.
I did have a questions. How much of these items are realy needed if I'm just staying within two to four hour boat trip of the marinia? Do you stock your boat for any mishap possible? Is it due to the distance you run, the great loop? How much is enough?

Greetings,
Mr. js. As some have mentioned you REALLY don't need any tools just tow insurance. That being said, it IS handy to be able to tighten hose clamps, and again as mentioned effect enough of a repair to get you either to a safe anchorage or back to your dock.

I do most of my work, I do carry tools and spares but not so I can make a repair in the boonies. I do my work in the slip so I don't have to worry about doing repairs while cruising. I think most boaters try to do the same whether with their tools or credit card.

RT Firefly, you correct, credit card should be fine if I don't have the tool. I like River Cruiser's sataement also. I would rather just work on it at the Marina then carry every tool and part know to man. I guess if I went to a bigger boat and blue water cruising I can add more stuff?

I could write a very long post about what I have repaired while underway or at anchor but I won't. Many times it's for a cruising buddy, sometimes to help a stranger. :nonono:

After thinking about this, it seems as though over the years with way too many toys, that I was the guy with the most tools and small parts that everyone came to.
Very seldom did I need to do repairs on my own stuff, might be cuz I'm sorta Anal about preventitive maintenance. But a few times when out in the middle of no where, I was thankful for all the stuff I carried with me.
Now, lugging around table saws, routers, sanders and such is a bit of overkill. One good Makita battery drill and a Dremel tool does a lot of stuff in a pinch.

when I got my boat I was amazed at the 3 tool boxes and all the spares the PO left for me. I thought I had hit the tool mother lode! There was 7 compartmented boxes of stainless and brass fasteners and spare bulbs, springs and hinges and lots of stuff I wasn't even sure of at the time. The holds were bulging with so much stuff you could hardly move. I reorganized and in my inexperience eliminated lots of things in an attempt to reduce the bulk by taking a lot of it home. But somehow most of that stuff seemed to know where it belonged and it drifted back to the boat box by box....what should you carry? now that I m a little more experienced I would say ...all of the above! I should have trusted the previous owner.

I carry lots of tools. Even had a portable table saw and a small radial arm saw on the boat for several years. But one day I needed a small pair of cutters. I was at Ellsey's in Venice Louisiana (the only hardware store in town) after looking thru the tool section and not finding it I asked Shannon if she knew where I could get a very small pair of dikes. Her reply was "you mean like midget lesbians". Gotta love south Louisiana.

Janice, I have never heard of a D clamp is it the same as a C clamp held sideways?? I do carry a couple of C and spring clamps on board.

Exactly Steve. And I have never seen another. :( Instead of a wide throat, it's deep. And yes, as a matter of fact I could use one right now. '

Mostly though, I use my multimeter, a Philips and standard screw driver, plus the vise grips. When I'm on an install kick the wire strippers are used. Ditto reamer -- just used that when replacing the switch on a light in my cabin. The new switch was a smidgen larger than the old one, so a few twists of the reamer and voila: it fit.

And now I have light.

We may be a bit different in Oz buit we would never leave home with without Duct tape and Spray Oil [ R P 7, C R C ] or whatever your own brand.

Spay Oil for everything before starting to work on it.

Duct Tape for anything else. Duck Tape will not fix Stupid but it will quieten it.

Also for the midges, sand flys or mosquitos a good bottle of home made insect repellant.

Sorry if these are a bit off topic but should be in every tool box.

Regards.

David.

Exactly Steve. And I have never seen another. :( Instead of a wide throat, it's deep. And yes, as a matter of fact I could use one right now. '

Mostly though, I use my multimeter, a Philips and standard screw driver, plus the vise grips. When I'm on an install kick the wire strippers are used. Ditto reamer -- just used that when replacing the switch on a light in my cabin. The new switch was a smidgen larger than the old one, so a few twists of the reamer and voila: it fit.

And now I have light.

Try a welding shop or welding supply store.

we had both the deep screw type and vice grip type on the welding table where I used to work.

AKA "Deep throat" clamp
Try Google it there are lots available.

A "screw starter" is something I carry with the screwdrivers it is useful to make starter holes for screws. An old candle or block of wax to lube screws too.

... wet/dry vac...

Thankfully, I do not NEED a wet/dry vac very often but when I do, I REALLY need the wet/dry vac. As a result, I have three wet/dry vac. :eek: One of the wet/dry vacs I use for disgusting stuff and another is for dry vacuuming.

The third one is a bit smaller than a gallon jug and works cleaning up small spaces/messes.

Later,
Dan

Sounds like some of you guys pack more tools on your boat than I do my service trucks. Truth is a very small amount of tools is all that's needed for the vast majority of routine tasks. Figure out what those tasks are and pack accordingly.

Also determine what your boating style is. If you are a full time cruiser routinely traveling far offshore you will need to be far more prepared than a dedicated day boater such as myself. Also do not fail to pack the knowledge base needed to use your tools. Sounds odd but a close friend of mine has over $100,000 worth of Snap-On hand and power tools in his garage and cannot change his own oil, I kid you not.

The tool bag on my boat has a 6 in 1 screwdriver, couple adjustable wrenches, various pliers, wire stripper and not much else. There's precious few tasks I could not handle. Serves all my needs.

Sounds like some of you guys pack more tools on your boat than I do my service trucks. Truth is a very small amount of tools is all that's needed for the vast majority of routine tasks. Figure out what those tasks are and pack accordingly.

Also determine what your boating style is. If you are a full time cruiser routinely traveling far offshore you will need to be far more prepared than a dedicated day boater such as myself. Also do not fail to pack the knowledge base needed to use your tools. Sounds odd but a close friend of mine has over $100,000 worth of Snap-On hand and power tools in his garage and cannot change his own oil, I kid you not.

The tool bag on my boat has a 6 in 1 screwdriver, couple adjustable wrenches, various pliers, wire stripper and not much else. There's precious few tasks I could not handle. Serves all my needs.

Sounds like the kind of guys I tow sometimes....$1M boat, $50,000 in operating expenses a year, all those tools and yet bellyaches at the costs associated with a tow or buying a membership for less than $200.:D

Truth is a very small amount of tools is all that's needed for the vast majority of routine tasks. Figure out what those tasks are and pack accordingly..........

The tool bag on my boat has a 6 in 1 screwdriver, couple adjustable wrenches, various pliers, wire stripper and not much else.
:iagree:I try and go through a mental exercise every once in awhile by asking myself, what if this failed, what if that failed, etc? Can I get the boat to safety? Do I have the right tools to repair the problem? Usually, the answer is yes...it may take some jerry rigging but it would get me to shore. For those jobs that would leave me stranded at sea, a direct line to the USCG helicopter crew would be nice!

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 108
My problem is too many tools. When working on a project, the tools make a one way trip from home to the boat. Eventually, I do a big clean out and get back to basics, reducing boat weight significantly. And then the cycle begins again.

The best tool decision I made was to install 2 drawers in some unused space under the salon table, right next to the engine hatch. All my regularly used hand tools go in these 2 drawers, within easy reach of where most of the work is done.

Sounds like the kind of guys I tow sometimes....$1M boat, $50,000 in operating expenses a year, all those tools and yet bellyaches at the costs associated with a tow or buying a membership for less than $200.:D

lol I'm so cheap I bought the towing membership. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom