Dock line storage / holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,

I was on a friends boat and saw several devices he uses to store his spare dock lines. I tried to add a photo and could not figure it out, so I will try to describe this item. It is black plastic, approx. 2" long, that has a slot in the front of it from top down. A 1/8" diameter cord hangs from the black plastic piece, and the cord has a plastic ball that can be dropped in the plastic piece's slot.

Does anyone know the brand or where I can find these devices?

Can a photo be added to a posting without having to reference a web address?

Thank you

Can a photo be added to a posting without having to reference a web address?

Use "go advanced" post/reply and add the attachment using additional option "attach file" way below the text box. Just like this one ...

Attachments

• sailing3.jpg
    sailing3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 193
Spare lines go into the lazarette without a pouch.

This is what I am looking for

:thumb:LineHolder1.jpg

SeaDog has a jam cleat that is close but does not have the plastic ball to go into the slot.

I used several Nicro Fico line holders. Similar but not the same. i tried looking them up but nope, Ronstan bought them out it appears and don't offer them.

There will be something similar by one of the sailboat gear mfgrs. though I'll bet. If you are close to a good chandler try your photo with them. Maybe they will have something similar.

With floating docks the norm here, I rarely see the need to adjust fender height. Fender lines are tied with seaman-like knots from the steel railings. (When underway, the fenders lay out-of-the-way on the wide decks while keeping their lines undisturbed.)

232323232%7Ffp5439%3B%3Enu%3D3976%3E972%3E%3A45%3E2%3A67972%3B36245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp73438%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33693336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Mark,
They are line holders for storage of extra, unused coiled lines. I use them for the tails of my docking lines, keeps the extra neat and out of the way.

I merely coil the docking lines and hang them from the railings. Got lots of "Ts" on the railings for hanging lines. Extra coiled lines go to the lazarette.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3557%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B4%3A79%3C7%3C8336nu0mrj

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429753966.925089.jpg
I use these to tie up lines and other things like keeping a boat hook hanging on the flybridge ladder, very handy and durable. Mine are 6 years old and I've never had one break or deteriorate and they are out in the sun.

Found them and have a set ordered - Schaefer Handi-Hangers
Thanks to all who helped.
Henry

View attachment 39439
I use these to tie up lines and other things like keeping a boat hook hanging on the flybridge ladder, very handy and durable. Mine are 6 years old and I've never had one break or deteriorate and they are out in the sun.

These looks very interesting. Multiple uses, well beyond on the boat. I can see plenty of uses in a garage, on a truck ... anywhere the cables/wires and lines/ropes are concerned.

EDIT: found them: http://www.topshelfmarine.com/produ...ducts_id=80&osCsid=bgt5mmcejqudsudl2c9540hnm3

Last edited:
View attachment 39439

These looks very interesting. Multiple uses, well beyond on the boat. I can see plenty of uses in a garage, on a truck ... anywhere the cables/wires and lines/ropes are concerned.

Care to share the name, or an online link to a product page ... please.

EDIT: found them: http://www.topshelfmarine.com/produc...sudl2c9540hnm3

Wow, those Cruisers Utility Straps are EXPENSIVE! $15.49 each.

I just coil my line then wrap it around the bow rail. It's tough to explain so I'll try to upload a picture. Basically all you do after you coil the line is hold it alongside the bow rail. Then you reach through, grab the bottom end of the coil and bring it up through the top end of the coil. Then snug it tight.

Like I said, it's easier to load a picture than to explain the procedure so everyone understands it.

The beauty of doing it this way is you can move the lines to wherever you want without having to move a line holder. Plus, the line can still be attached to a cleat and you do this with the bitter end.

That $$ is for a pack of 6 according to the site..

That $$ is for a pack of 6 according to the site..

I bought 2 sets - 12 total straps. I thought they were pricey but after using them for a few years I got over that. Another thing I like about them is be able to hook 2 or more together for a larger loop.

I bought 2 sets - 12 total straps. I thought they were pricey but after using them for a few years I got over that. Another thing I like about them is be able to hook 2 or more together for a larger loop.

Yup...Just ordered 2 packs myself. Good solution for Misc. stuff around the boat..

Like the looks of the utility straps, and the price for six seems reasonable if they hold up. However, I just went to order some and the shipping is almost the same as the order - $15.49 for the straps, and $13 for shipping.

BTW, the Top Shelf website indicates that Hopkins Carter is a retailer. HopCar - is that the case?

Clove hitch over the rail? Free and can't lose it overboard.:hide:

I just coil my line then wrap it around the bow rail. It's tough to explain so I'll try to upload a picture. Basically all you do after you coil the line is hold it alongside the bow rail. Then you reach through, grab the bottom end of the coil and bring it up through the top end of the coil. Then snug it tight.

Like I said, it's easier to load a picture than to explain the procedure so everyone understands it.

The beauty of doing it this way is you can move the lines to wherever you want without having to move a line holder. Plus, the line can still be attached to a cleat and you do this with the bitter end.

Exactly Mike,
It is so easy; nothing required other than a rail and the line. (see bottom centre of photo)

But there is money to be made selling special rope hanging devices.

Attachments

• DSCF8385.jpg
    DSCF8385.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 94
Exactly Mike,
It is so easy; nothing required other than a rail and the line. (see bottom centre of photo)
But there is money to be made selling special rope hanging devices.

Same here ... the lines (ropes) are on the rail ready to be grabbed and pulled, no devices to mess with while docking.

img_327578_0_1b2a7096120e9fe3b6c1dab0e9276dc9.jpg

Still, I like the plastic ties ... great for other things around the boat and dock: shore power and extension cords, water hoses, extra lines in storage, anything that needs to be stored neatly and securely.

They do not seem that expensive for a pack of six.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom