View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #92
Carolena
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I'm 44 and the wife is 42. We started dating when I was 20 (went to HS together, but didn't date until after we graduated). Was a late bloomer, having too much fun in my 20s, so got a late start on a career. Finished college at 27 and started grad school with an eye toward my current career at 29. Started my current career at 32 with a major firm making more money that I ever thought possible. Paid down our school loans then made a jump to what I consider a dream job eight years ago. Took a 50% pay cut, but love what I do. The wife is now an elementary education teacher, and also started late like me.

We don't have kids and are quite frugal (not cheap mind you). Saving like mad, buying lots of dividend stocks, and hope to retire no later than 60. Wish we could do it earlier, but then again I had some great experiences in my 20s so "no regrets" (my favorite saying).

One thing I've noticed is how many here were able to retire early. I bet that there is a clear corelation between a love of boating/cruising and desire to be away from the daily grind as young as possible. As much as I love my job, I do look forward to the day we can cut the lines, sell our place the city and point the bow to destinations yet to be determined.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote