Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hollywood8118 wrote:

I have also found that most of the time people that make the " they should go for a couple years without using the thruster to learn how to drive the boat " ..statement don't have a bow thruster!

*FWIW, Carey's single-engine lobsterboat has a bow thruster.* So he's speaking from a position of having and using one.

If one has a boat with a thruster, bow, stern, or both, I believe they should be used if they make life easier.* However..... I believe the boater should have experience maneuvering without them because one day the things will fail when you need them the most.

Relying on a thruster from day one of acquiring a boat could be problematic down the road because the thruster makes things so easy that it's hard to deliberately not use it.* So one keeps saying "I'll learn to handle the boat without thrusters next week," and in the end, they "learn" how to handle the boat without thrusters when they quit.* Which can result in a big bill.

Our '73 boat, a twin, has no thruster.* There have been*a few times when I'd have been glad to have one but so far we've managed to get ourselves into and out of the places we've wanted to get into and out of with props and rudders alone.* But if the boat had a thruster--- a bow thruster,*I don't see much value in a stern thruster unless the rudders fall off--- we'd use it.* Probably simply to speed up a docking or undocking more than a way to actually get on or off the dock.* Thrusters are a great alternative to patience
smile.gif

hollywood8118 wrote:

Carey wrote:

john You are so right. I would even go so far as to say that if one buys a boat
with a thruster, they should forget it's there for the first year or two. One thing I
see more and more these days is people coming into a side tie situation and
positioning themselves parallel to, but far away from the dock, and then using
the thruster and a combination back and fill to get to the dock. It's absolutely
tortuous to watch.
Hollywood said:
I have also found that most of the time people that make the " they should go for a couple years without using the thruster to learn how to drive the boat " ..statement don't have a bow thruster!
what next.... don't turn on the chartplotter and gps and get out the paper charts and dividers??
HOLLYWOODHollywoodAs Marin stated, I do have a bow thruster, and I do, on rare occasion use it, because I have it, and it would be rediculous to ignore it when appropriate use is at hand. However, I don't, and won't use it to replace my rudder, keel and prop walk, which actually do a better job. I love my thruster when I have arrived, and stopped all motion other that the bow sneaking away due to a little fender bounce off the dock. I love my thruster when I leave my slip, as I can back up and at the same time thrust the bow with two to three ten second shots, thereby removing the need to back and fill several times. IMHO, that is all the thruster was intended for, and all I will use it for.*

PS-I stand by my philosophy that you should know how to run a boat without use of bow or stern thrusters, just in case the thruster should fail. Besides, it's more fun to run a boat like early boaters did. But, I won't go so far as to give up radar, chart plotter, vhf radio, stereo, etc., because after all, I already own them, and they do have their place.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 09:44:56 PM

Marin wrote:If one has a boat with a thruster, bow, stern, or both, I believe they should be used if they make life easier.* However..... I believe the boater should have experience maneuvering without them because one day the things will fail when you need them the most.

I once had a 1936 Ford. Mechanical brakes (None of those damn ABS braking systems for this guy)...It didn't have power steering as that was for sissies. No power windows, A/C, no leather interior, crappy radio, etc. I learned to drive the right way in case some of those newfangled systems would fail some day.:)

I scheduled a haul-out at The Landings for April 1st. We have a glass guy all lined up to install the tunnel and will have an ABYC certified sparky help with the hook-up--things should go well.
For you guys I see from Bellingham, WA, you will be able to breath a bit easier if you see the "Invictus" pulling in beside you in a tight berth. You'll be able to say-"thank God that old geezer has a thruster"
smile.gif

On an unrelated note, I want to compliment Cary on his boat picture. They are all pretty nice, but the contrast on the "Happy Destiny" really makes it stand out. Looks like you're leaving Blaine Harbor.

Thanks to all you guys--I didn't expect the overwhelming response to my question. This is really a great source of information.

As Marin stated, I do have a bow thruster, and I do, on rare occasion use it, because I have it, and it would be rediculous to ignore it when appropriate use is at hand. However, I don't, and won't use it to replace my rudder, keel and prop walk, which actually do a better job. I love my thruster when I have arrived, and stopped all motion other that the bow sneaking away due to a little fender bounce off the dock. I love my thruster when I leave my slip, as I can back up and at the same time thrust the bow with two to three ten second shots, thereby removing the need to back and fill several times. IMHO, that is all the thruster was intended for, and all I will use it for.*

PS-I stand by my philosophy that you should know how to run a boat without use of bow or stern thrusters, just in case the thruster should fail. Besides, it's more fun to run a boat like early boaters did. But, I won't go so far as to give up radar, chart plotter, vhf radio, stereo, etc., because after all, I already own them, and they do have their place.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 09:44:56 PM
Sure I will by the argument that we all should become accustomed to the operation of our boats is case of a system failure... as I stated is a previous post I brought my boat in from the San Juan's once with a complete rudder failure with only using the bow thruster... not a easy task in a big,* heavy , full displacement boat... boy was I glad there was no wind. That being said I had never practiced it before... just the standard use of the thruster in normal docking... but I had a feeling it would work. It's a lot like flying.. practice landing using no flaps* just in case... but I don't want to do it that way every time, after all we do* have flaps.. mighht as well use them.* We have a LOT of gear on our boats that we don't need to operate them.. gps, thrusters, autopilot, refrigeration, radar,etc., but they all are there to make it safer.. and easier to enjoy our boats. I for one like watching a competent skipper use all the tools at hand to squeeze a boat safety into it's berth..
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 wrote:I for one like watching a competent skipper use all the tools at hand to squeeze a boat safety into it's berth..
HOLLYWOOD

I understand your point, and I know you'll understand my perspective of preferring to watch a competent skipper slide in skillfully with the minimum amount of technology. Just a little too old school I guess.

I must add, that I am terribly jealous of you guys with hydraulic thrusters. My electric model is rated at only 45 seconds of thrust at a time. Personally, my fear of burning it up limits me to a maximum thirty seconds. It would definitely be nice to be able to steer with the thruster.

Our shrimp boat fleets down here are 80-100ft, single engined and no bow thruster.....

Baker wrote:

Our shrimp boat fleets down here are 80-100ft, single engined and no bow thruster.....
Thereby utilizing the KISS principal. We also have scores of fishing boats up here in the northland that do fine without. It's all about using what you've got.*

geezer wrote:

On an unrelated note, I want to compliment Cary on his boat picture. They are all pretty nice, but the contrast on the "Happy Destiny" really makes it stand out. Looks like you're leaving Blaine Harbor.
I took that photo from our boat when we were both coming back from Sucia.* We were at the top of Hale Passage heading south.* Lummi Island was still in shadow from fog and cloud but the sun got under it to hit our boats.* I took a few more a few minutes later and by then the Lummi shore was lit up, too.

Marin wrote:

geezer wrote:

I took that photo from our boat when we were both coming back from Sucia.* We were at the top of Hale Passage heading south.* Lummi Island was still in shadow from fog and cloud but the sun got under it to hit our boats.* I took a few more a few minutes later and by then the Lummi shore was lit up, too.Geezer and MarinJust so you know, Marin does indeed get credit for the photo, but I get credit for the good sense to use it as my avatar.
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Carey wrote:

hollywood8118 wrote: I for one like watching a competent skipper use all the tools at hand to squeeze a boat safety into it's berth..
HOLLYWOOD

I understand your point, and I know you'll understand my perspective of preferring to watch a competent skipper slide in skillfully with the minimum amount of technology. Just a little too old school I guess.

I must add, that I am terribly jealous of you guys with hydraulic thrusters. My electric model is rated at only 45 seconds of thrust at a time. Personally, my fear of burning it up limits me to a maximum thirty seconds. It would definitely be nice to be able to steer with the thruster.

Carey,
As you can see from my (old ) boat I am also one that likes "old school"..I had a GB36 before Volunteer... but I sort of lean to the "new hot rod with all the bells and whistles" that looks old school. I have recently sold Volunteer and moved into a high quality 30 year newer fast cruiser... no thruster... but it has twins!. I don't know that it was the right move but it is a step in the direction back to sail... after the fuel bills I will need to sail!. Regarding your thruster... you might check the actual limits on run time... the 45 second limit might be at a continuous burst... not cumulative run time. And most have a over temp cutout that will lessen the issue of burning the unit up... just a thought.
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PM

hollywood8118 wrote
Carey,
As you can see from my (old ) boat I am also one that likes "old school"..I had a GB36 before Volunteer... but I sort of lean to the "new hot rod with all the bells and whistles" that looks old school. I have recently sold Volunteer and moved into a high quality 30 year newer fast cruiser... no thruster... but it has twins!. I don't know that it was the right move but it is a step in the direction back to sail... after the fuel bills I will need to sail!. Regarding your thruster... you might check the actual limits on run time... the 45 second limit might be at a continuous burst... not cumulative run time. And most have a over temp cutout that will lessen the issue of burning the unit up... just a thought.
HOLLYWOOD
-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PMHollywoodI misspoke. It is 45 seconds continuous. I need to pull out the manual and see what else it has to say, such as cumulative in a five minute period. It's been too long since I last saw the manual. For the most part, other than maybe one time with heavy winds off the dock on landing, I haven't needed to exceed the 45 seconds. Thanks for the note. I'll check it out.

hollywood8118 wrote:

Carey,
HOLLYWOOD
-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:14:14 PM
HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!

Carey wrote:HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!
Carey,
I did try to post during the picture posting issue time..........
Here is are a couple pics of the new ride........... the one is the new boat with the old boat waiting to move into the new owners boat house.

So the story goes like this... after spending the summer up the Columbia and Snake rivers I left Volunteer at a yacht club in Portland because of weather and timing issues. While the boat was at the clubs visitor dock one of the club members contacted me about Volunteer and wanted to know if I had any interest in selling her. He had a boat in one of his two boat houses that if I had any interest in he would trade for Volunteer. After discussing this with the Admiral I looked at his perfect condition 1996 sea ray 400 express... always kept in a boathouse... in fresh water.* We did a afternoon " sea trial" of Volunteer and he was sure he wanted her... if was up to me. He offered to buy her out right.. or do the trade. The Admiral and I thought this might be an easy step back in* the direction of taking off cruising on a sailboat in a few years... and get a different yachting experience in the meantime.* The thought of keeping a boat on the Columbia , in fresh water, under cover.. and the promise of Way less boat maintenance sealed the decision. So we took ownership the first week of November and have been getting used to a different kind of yachting. Our girls miss the huge amount of space Volunteer had and as they have grown up on her just miss her in general. I am getting over the fact I will not need to do ANY painting or varnishing and will now need to become proficient at waxing... and adding fuel to a very fuel thirsty 25kt boat.* Friends have asked if we made the right decision.... too soon to tell, but I do like the the new boat... and her speed!. I hope to continue on this forum for a while... I also have my eye on a steel hull trawler that needs a complete refit and new house.** Well I best go... I need to go shopping for some gold chains and hair gel!
HOLLYWOOD
on a side note, Volunteer has a new owner with thew ability to do anything he wants to the boat... and she is snug inside his 35'X85' boathouse where her maintenance will drop to almost nothing.. and her varnish will stay perfect for years... that makes me happy..

the two attached pics, one is the first day of ownership of the new boat ... the second is the last day of ownership of Voulnteer...

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:28:52 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:31:08 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:32:25 AM

Attachments

• dsc05842.jpg
    dsc05842.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
Twelve years ago I was fishing off Craig AK with a charter vessel . At that time I was landlocked with a 30' Searay DA at Lake Powell. While looking over the water at Craig I noticed a 40'+ Searay DA from Seattle anchored there for several days. The owner was from Seattle and had no problem getting to and from Craig, he could simply outrun the weather.

I mulled this concept over very hard before I bought the new 48 Defever. I still miss the speed -----------. Enjoy the DA.

hollywood8118 wrote:

Carey wrote:HollywoodSo, what is your current boat du jour? Do you need to change your avatar? I'd love to see her. Frankly, I can't believe you let Volunteer go. She's totally my kind of boat, except maybe the overall purchase and maintenance cost. Gorgeous!!!
Carey,
I did try to post during the picture posting issue time..........
Here is are a couple pics of the new ride........... the one is the new boat with the old boat waiting to move into the new owners boat house.

So the story goes like this... after spending the summer up the Columbia and Snake rivers I left Volunteer at a yacht club in Portland because of weather and timing issues. While the boat was at the clubs visitor dock one of the club members contacted me about Volunteer and wanted to know if I had any interest in selling her. He had a boat in one of his two boat houses that if I had any interest in he would trade for Volunteer. After discussing this with the Admiral I looked at his perfect condition 1996 sea ray 400 express... always kept in a boathouse... in fresh water.* We did a afternoon " sea trial" of Volunteer and he was sure he wanted her... if was up to me. He offered to buy her out right.. or do the trade. The Admiral and I thought this might be an easy step back in* the direction of taking off cruising on a sailboat in a few years... and get a different yachting experience in the meantime.* The thought of keeping a boat on the Columbia , in fresh water, under cover.. and the promise of Way less boat maintenance sealed the decision. So we took ownership the first week of November and have been getting used to a different kind of yachting. Our girls miss the huge amount of space Volunteer had and as they have grown up on her just miss her in general. I am getting over the fact I will not need to do ANY painting or varnishing and will now need to become proficient at waxing... and adding fuel to a very fuel thirsty 25kt boat.* Friends have asked if we made the right decision.... too soon to tell, but I do like the the new boat... and her speed!. I hope to continue on this forum for a while... I also have my eye on a steel hull trawler that needs a complete refit and new house.** Well I best go... I need to go shopping for some gold chains and hair gel!
HOLLYWOOD
on a side note, Volunteer has a new owner with thew ability to do anything he wants to the boat... and she is snug inside his 35'X85' boathouse where her maintenance will drop to almost nothing.. and her varnish will stay perfect for years... that makes me happy..

the two attached pics, one is the first day of ownership of the new boat ... the second is the last day of ownership of Voulnteer...

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:28:52 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:31:08 AM

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 12:32:25 AMHollywoodThanks for the post. It's always interesting to hear other folks stories of changes in their boating. As much as love the traditional lines of a boat like Volunteer, I am the last one to be trusted with taking care of a boat requiring paint and varnish. As to the new boat, I know you'll have lots of fun on her. Our first boat was a Bayliner Ciera sunbridge. Those Sea Ray Expresses are awesome. I know your Admiral likes it.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 04:18:44 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom