Success of TrawlerForum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TrawlerForum is presently*the best general boat sites.* The one big advantage is Off the Deep End where politics and non boating stuff are which is about 25% of the post and the second most active after the General.

As for difficulty to post to PMM, trawlerform and other that may be your computers fault.* To correct under TOOL click on Compatibility View.** With my old Sony, 7+ years old and fast Verizon Broad Band the sites worked fine. I could not see understand why other members where having trouble.* Then I bought a new PC for work and the boat most of the sites feature buttons did not work. *See if that takes care of the problem.

As to slowest of some site again that might be your computer and/or internet connections.* With the new faster computers and new faster Verizon Broad band with WiFi PMM loads almost as fast as trawlerforum and other sites.* Shoot when I boot the new PC, I go get a cup of coffee as Windows take so long to load. I want it and I want it now!

So instead of one boat site I now have several.* I mean I got to get my daily fix someplace?*

While Mr. Baker goes trans-Pacific, I go trans-Louisiana. Currently on the west side of the state working another oil /gas play. I look forward to reading TF every day, OTDE is always entertaining, sometimes a little rough, but always entertaining. Plus, you guys have helped me out on projects many times, and I appreciate it. So, thanks John & Doug and Merry Christmas to all.
Mike
Baton Rouge, LA

And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it! Makes the winter doldrums more bearable.

dwhatty wrote: And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it!
It must be mental telepathy, I was thinking the same thing. No doldrums down here
though.

SeaHorse II wrote:

dwhatty wrote: And the board seems to be really active right now. I love it!
It must be mental telepathy, I was thinking the same thing. No doldrums down here
though.

We'd be glad to send them your way. Will even pay the postage.

I use to be a mod on a Scuba diving site. Folks there got so passionate and the site owner was so restrictive that it killed the site. We were busy mods. I think that if some of the folks were to meet face to face there would have been fist fights. I have yet to see anyone on this site get out of control and thus far everyone has been VERY supportive. Maybe because of the one Topic area here that allows folks to blow off some steam ... I dont know

The other boating site (no mention) was kind of getting like that (IMO) opinions were getting to be too polarized with little room for concession. The other site had a vast amount of very useful technical (in some cases historical) information and I am sorry that it will most likely be lost. But then, their search tool was garbage and they changed the format of things way too often.

Also, this site is in its adolescence (if you will) - it's still fresh and growing. I think that eventually this site will experience many of the same problems if it stays the same. I see this happening with many of the "social / technical" web sites. Hopefully someone will institute a better data mining engine that will allow more complex searches. (Wouldn't it be nice to have a search that not only searched this site but also searched topic related sites on the web? Why should my search for Perkins 6-354 be limited to just this site? And If I could do more advanced searches I could limit it down to valves and get everything from finding parts to adjusting to replacing. Some if it user experiences, all the way up to tech manuals.)

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 13th of December 2010 02:57:00 PM

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 13th of December 2010 03:03:17 PM

I came over from the Willard Boat Owners group site. Frequently there's a darth of activity on WBO and looking for some action I came to TF. Found it. It's been a good ride so far (even over the bumps) and I look fwd to the extended cruise.
I can ditto many to most of the previous comments but here we are at page 4 and almost half the copy has been about PMM. This thread sounds more like the failure of PMM than the success of TF. TF is a success though and I'm proud to be part of it. Thank you all.

PMM*** ..just forget it.

I was never on PMM so no loss to me, whatever it was.

I know I already posted here but TF is the site I can go to with truly like minded people similar boats/issues/set ups/problems. Other boating forums I am very active on have a more "general" nature to them...express cruisers, sedans, motor yachts, etc. I like that diversity and you get lots of perspectives but really...if I have a trawler type issue, the only place to get a real answer and tremendous insight is here in TF. To get that kind of info along with a lot of nice folks results in TF being a tremendous resource.

Back
Top Bottom