Another Xantrex TrueCharge2 craps out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obthomas

Guru
Vessel Name
TheVenture
Vessel Make
1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My 40 amp Xantrex TrueCharge2 crapped out again.
This is the second time and second unit for me.:trash:
I'm gonna change to someone else.
Probably a ProMariner. :speed boat:

Installed a ProMariner 40 amp smart charger last summer. Seems to work great and is servicing 3 battery banks.

Our Xantrex 40 also died last year. Went with a ProMariner ProNautic 40 with the remote monitor screen and very happy. The batteries seem much happier, too.

Just replaced mine after just 4 years of service. Ruined 2 8d batteries in the process. 2 boat dollars gone south. But like the fool that I can be at times, I replaced it with the same charger......go figure. Marine electrician swore by these units.

The warranty on these units is 2 years.....2 years is just about how long they last.....go figure.:dance:

Nuts! I've half a mind to replace mine before a train wreck comes along, after reading the negative post about Xantrex. Every so often, I have to disconnect the battery cables so the charger can re-set, because it is doing nothing.

Another vote for ProMariner. The 1st project on Northern Lights during the 1st month we owned her was replacing the old ferrocent (sp) charger. I went with a ProMariner 1260 c3, I haven't a single complaint, the 2 8D batteries hardly use any water, less than a quart per year total for both. The 8d start and the generator battery are the same ones that were in it when we bought the boat in 2010. The 8D house battery was replaced in 2012. The original was working fine for a old style charger, I wanted a newer 3 stage with the option to equalize.

Last edited:
Funny how these things go. About 6-7 years ago, I installed a Pro-Mariner. I found myself in the dark out on anchor a whole bunch. I found out that it wasn't putting out a charge even though it said it was. I replaced it with a Xantrex 40 watt and it has been a work horse ever since.

Weird how things are turning around. I've heard others complain about XAntrex lately as well. Maybe quality is slipping.

Xantrex TrueCharge2 works great until it doesn't. The problem is its rare one lasts until its time to buy one with new features. I often buy a marine something or other thinking I will replace it when it becomes obsolete. Seems these TreCharge2s will all be dead before they are obsolete.:dance:

Funny how these things go. About 6-7 years ago, I installed a Pro-Mariner. I found myself in the dark out on anchor a whole bunch. I found out that it wasn't putting out a charge even though it said it was. I replaced it with a Xantrex 40 watt and it has been a work horse ever since. .

Same here...... Must be the luck of the draw.

Bought my first Xantrex Truecharge 20 amp, case is yellow, back in the mid 90's to replace the OEM charger that was failing and had killed two new 8D batteries. Replaced the 20 with a Xantrex Truecharge 2, 40 amp two summers ago and moved the Truecharge 20 to my shop where it still maintains the batteries on my collector cars and small fishing boat. Never had a problem with either one. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom