Dogs and Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harley is part of the crew, no question.

For those who are considering passage-making with their dog's may want to read this

It's not all gravy, all the time,,, but absolutely worth it :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 111

For those who are considering passage-making with their dog's may want to read this

Great read!
My take away: One more reason not to go back to Hawaii (didn't need another).

Ted

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429233842.897955.jpg

Tanuki our Boston Terrior is our designated driver

Frankie (our chocolate lab) and Alva (from the boat we are rafted up to) waiting to go ashore. The second photo is them both enjoying the view.

Attachments

• frankie11.jpg
    frankie11.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 103
  • frankie12.jpg
    frankie12.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 88
I like happy/friendly/gentle dogs and enjoy their presence. Unfortunately, my life-style isn't a good match for pet ownership.

img_325746_0_9ac0adca45ffdc6ad166bc944b004d65.jpg

I like happy/friendly/gentle dogs and enjoy their presence. Unfortunately, my life-style isn't a good match for pet ownership.

img_325753_0_9ac0adca45ffdc6ad166bc944b004d65.jpg

...and I for one salute you for recognizing that Mark. Jennifer and I have been involved with the rehabilitation and re homing of abused animals and it is shocking to know the backstory of some of these animals. We swore off taking on anymore rehab projects two weeks to the day before Pearl was presented to us emaciated and physically abused. She hid out under our bed for two days and bit me several times before letting me treat her infected wounds.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429237603.374957.jpg

As you can see she is now a well adjusted and happy member of our family and gets to live out her days in doggie luxury.

During a custom

She is great to have aboard, but doesn't always come when I call...

control in Norway they ask :
Did you have pet on board ?
I reply : no exept my wife !

They laugh... but I will be in "troubles" as soon as they left our board !:angel:

I am afraid you also will be in troubles:eek:

Now with our mascot Dryade I could answer : yes (witout anymore precisions ...:dance:)

Attachments

• 100_0370 - Copie.jpg
    100_0370 - Copie.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Ginger in the Du NORD

Ginger is a great boat dog; 25%Boxer, 25% Sharpei, and 50% so many breeds they couldn't identify them from her DNA. She is patient through gales, and loves to ride our dinghy ashore.

Attachments

• DSCF1363.jpg
    DSCF1363.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_0726.jpg
    100_0726.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 242

That is a great story that you will one day tell and laugh about it. We call them rocking chair stories.

On the other hand, you must understand that we Americans can not risk having unsavory canines entering our country under the guise of being "boat dogs."

:dance:

Maizey is still learning the boat. Engine start-up is a scary time but she loves all the attention from everyone in the marina. Hanging out in the cockpit is the best though with all the ducks to guard against!

Attachments

• 11053556_10204008454756420_2081601476433021933_o.jpg
    11053556_10204008454756420_2081601476433021933_o.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 111
We've been our Trawler about two weeks now. Patrick, our golden retriever came from 4 acres in TX to 42x14'.

He is really adjusting well!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429533046.815621.jpg

Does anyone boat with a Cockapoo? We are dog-less until I retire, but I want a dog with webbed feet.

I thought almost all dogs had webbed feet. I've had and known lots of dogs in my life, never knew one without webbed toes.

Maizey is still learning the boat. Engine start-up is a scary time but she loves all the attention from everyone in the marina. Hanging out in the cockpit is the best though with all the ducks to guard against!

Okay, this might start out sounding way off topic and a little...unusual, but...

Our gun dog, a weimaraner, was deadly afraid of champagne corks popping. As soon as a bottle would come out of the fridge she would disappear. So I devised a plan. I would take out the bottle, make sure she saw, then coax her back. I'd make her sit, if she got up I'd get her back and calmly start over. I'd also make sure she saw her favorite treats out and ready to go.

While distracting with eminent treats I'd pop the cork and immediately hand over a treat.

After a few bottles of practice, she now is immediately under foot before I have put the bottle on the counter.

I think something like this could help your dog with the start up process.

Now that the price of diesel has come down some, I bought a bottle of champagne. I popped the cork and the Poodle took off like a shot and immediately returned with a tray of canapés. The Chihuahua, not to be out done, also took off and returned with a dish of guacamole.

Last edited:
tegdesign: we will definitely try something along those lines. Maizey is scared of a lot of things but with time she has been able to adjust. I think it's just the new situation but we will definitely use treats to help her along.

Our dog Maggie is very involved in our boating life. I need to get some of that railing safety netting to go around the boat though.

Attachments

• 396.jpg
    396.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 85
Today we had to put our old pooch down, he tried to fight old age and had been successful over the past few months this time it was not to be and so we had to make that very tough decision that we all wish was not needed.

RIP old Kai you were a good mate travelling down the inland river.
so sorry for your loss its such a tough decision to make for one that loves so unconditionally.

On the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter we lost our little Peanut, the sweetest, most beautiful dog who ever lived. We'll have other dogs in life, but never like that one - she was a once in a lifetime dog. That'll do girl, that'll do.

IMAG0027.jpg

Peanut is a beauty... what a nice dog. That'll do, but we always want more don't we?

I'm sad for your loss. :(

We have a small rescue dog. He's never been on a boat, but we've gotten him on our Island Gypsy wearing his life jacket. How do we keep him from falling or jumping off the boat when we dock or have to open the starboard door?

JB, crate training has always been part of our rehabilitation program for dogs as it has positive benefits for reducing stress in them if they ever need to spend time at the vet. Crates take limited room and can be effective for dogs not used to boating when close in maneuvers demand your undivided attention.

It's funny, they all have such individual personalities. Peanut was a very delicate, graceful, peaceful little dog - who didn't like to get wet unless absolutely necessary - and so it never crossed our mind that Peanut would jump off. In fact, one warm summer night back when we only had a cheap inflatable kayak for a dingy, my wife and I swam it all the way to shore towing Peanut in the dingy like Cleopatra on a barge on the Nile. Our new puppy though - a lab mix - has already jumped into the koi pond waterfall out back and so any discussion of boat training for dogs (not jumping off I mean) would be helpful.

Hello Jillbrown... For my Skipper, I either leave her in the pilothouse seat or on the table in front of the wheel. She cannot jump off either -- too high. Also, I have up netting over the pilothouse doors. She has jumped up the step, across the side deck and fallen overboard. Believe me, she is not her most attractive when wet.

Net:
StarboardNet.jpg

Skipper does chase fish and has launched herself at them. When in the dink I either leash her or keep her close to me so she won't try to catch something underwater.

The net came from Defender's and is the stuff sailboats use to keep their gear on deck. It's not expensive.

My daughter, eating grapes and watching Scooby Doo with her dog:
img_20120513_160637.jpg

My daughter and dog don't really snuggle at home. But they always seem to do so on the boat:

20150424_122447.jpg

Hard to imagine travelling without our dog Caber who is not happy unless he is up on the flybridge with me at all times. Can't let one of the pack stray without supervision.

Attachments

• CaberBoat.jpg
    CaberBoat.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom