WiFi Hot Spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.

It will, just type wavewifi.com In the browser.

The best unsecured wi fi is found running the loop in Canada , its free with electric so has no value and is frequently keft on , forever unsecured.

There are fewer home , business broadcasters on the ICW , but usually enough so the computer can snatch a connection and pass and receive E mail.

Probably not for banking , but most E mails have little of value .

WiFi Security

Have seen several comments that unsecure WiFi hotspots are not suitable for banking. Every financial institution has implemented the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for web login and other access. SSL is basically encryption. They have also obtained Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates to identify and validate the site itself.

I would argue that banking and financial transactions are secure. Where there are problems with unsecure hotspots are things like doing financial transactions with mom and pop type web sites that haven't implemented strong encryption measures and/or sending private information via email. Best way to check the type of connection you have is to look at the URL. If it is https, the data is encrypted. Be leery of sending private information such as SSNs via email from ANY WiFi hotspot or any other internet connection.

Much more troublesome than WiFi hotspots is using a public computer or using someone elses computer in WiFi hotspots or otherwise.

As always, please use antivirus and internet security software and keep it updated with the latest signatures.

A good way protect your traffic when using public Wi-Fi networks is to install and use a"virtual private network" (VPN) software application. There are many suppliers of free and paid VPNs.

I have been using Hotspot Shield for a couple of years and find it works very well. Started with the free version and then bought the Elite version ($30/year). I use it in my laptop, iPhone and iPad.

https://www.hsselite.com

(These VPNs are also good to connect to, say, Netflix in the US or BBC i-Player in the UK from abroad.)

In my opinion the biggest underrealized risk to data security is not banking, thats protected well.

Its your corporate email.

I also use The Wirie AP simple set up. Island time didn't function properly for me, Bob couldn't figure it out.
Wife used VPN in Canada, no issue.
Much more unsecured wifi in US than in Canada IMO.

I also use The Wirie AP simple set up. .

That's the decision I just made....and ordered.
I really like the simplicity and feature set. Simple 12 hook-up and built in wireless router. Upgradeable to 3G/4G as well..On a small boat like mine, the simpler the better..

productChartLarge.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using Rogue for few years with good results. As others have mentioned, realistic range is couple of miles, not 5-7. It's probably among more expensive options, but I think it provides very good ROI, as it's still within reasonable cost.

Unlike cell boosters, I've tried couple, and IMHO, it's a waste of big bucks. My last attempt was buying Wislon Sleek 4G LTE booster with external antenna and I'me dissappointed with results. I wish there was much better product which doesn't cost $1K.

BTW Wave wifi has great customer service. They were a pleasure to deal with.

I paired my Rogue Wave with a Cradlepoint CTR35 router and have been very pleased. I haven't use the 3G/4G capability yet but enjoy the performance, small footprint and 12V power options. It comes with a wall wart to convert 110V AC to 12V DC. They also sell a 12V cord for $25.

I just hard wired the unit to a fused 12V terminal block and mounted a switch to my panel. The Rogue unit gets its power from the ethernet cable connected to the CTR35, so all power is selected with one switch. The total power draw is so miniscule that I don't consider it a problem and often leave it on for days.

img_326710_0_6a573fd0599c17e45bc3f0118ab55ff4.jpg

Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.

Excellent info...and thanks Al...Let me know how it works!

It will, just type wavewifi.com In the browser.

Since I was on the boat, I tried it out this weekend. Just like Oliver said, it works fine with the tablet.

I decided to go with the Wirie since it is an all-in-one unit. Now I need to figure out how to connect it. I have a breaker on the pilothouse 12V panel that only powers the stereo. I'm thinking I can add the Wirie to that circuit, but how do I know that for sure, and how do I do it? Is it as easy as just putting the right connectors on the Wirie wires and connecting them to the circuit breaker? Obviously, I'm an electrical novice, but it seems like this is something I should've able to do.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Good practice is not to have two feeds come off one breaker (for AC that is prohibited). If you want to use that breaker, that a cable from the breaker to a terminal block or post and then power both the stereo and the wifi amplifier from the terminal block or post. Better yet buy an inexpensive fuse block for DC (direct current) and have the breaker feed the fuse block and have separate smaller fuses for each of the stereo and the wifi.

If put a fuse block under the helm you will find many more things it that can connect to it. I have added a multiple DC charging station for cell phones, IPADs, VHF radios etc. This alone required a 15 amp fuse.

Good practice is not to have two feeds come off one breaker (for AC that is prohibited). If you want to use that breaker, that a cable from the breaker to a terminal block or post and then power both the stereo and the wifi amplifier from the terminal block or post. Better yet buy an inexpensive fuse block for DC (direct current) and have the breaker feed the fuse block and have separate smaller fuses for each of the stereo and the wifi.

If put a fuse block under the helm you will find many more things it that can connect to it. I have added a multiple DC charging station for cell phones, IPADs, VHF radios etc. This alone required a 15 amp fuse.

Thanks Marty. That doesn't sound too hard.

I have two spare 12V 10 amp breakers in the main pilothouse panel. I suppose I could use one of those, but I would have to run the line much further.

I am planning on mounting the Wirie on the boat deck railing immediately aft of the starboard aft corner of the pilothouse. We have a wide-body so there is no comparable railing on the port side to get closer to the main panel.

Obviously, we have a number of antennas connecting though the pilothouse roof, but the Wirie has to be rail mounted. Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Just installed my wirie...first post from the boat. I mounted mine to my radar mast and wired to an unused breaker. Seems to work great....having trouble posting a pic with this tablet though..

Nice! You're going to love the improved wifi range. If you find you need more range, mounting it higher might help.

Just installed my wirie...first post from the boat. I mounted mine to my radar mast and wired to an unused breaker. Seems to work great....having trouble posting a pic with this tablet though..

Looks good. I should get mine tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it installed this weekend.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Nice! You're going to love the improved wifi range. If you find you need more range, mounting it higher might help.

Yup Al...As you can see, I have lots of potential mount points! This seemed the least obtrusive and I had an easy cable run into my Bridge structure. I'm right on the edge of several signals at the dock...They all come in clearly now..

Looks good. I should get mine tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it installed this weekend.

Pretty simple...Just figure your mount point and run power to 12V. Software set-up is easy...

Quote:

Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Sounds like it would work. The place you described mounting the antenna and radio are exactly where we have them mounted on Bay Pelican, another Krogen 42. We have the interior items in the saloon with the cables run up to the boat deck through the galley cabinets. We have an air conditioning chase between the galley counter and the upper cabinets.

Quote:

Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Sounds like it would work. The place you described mounting the antenna and radio are exactly where we have them mounted on Bay Pelican, another Krogen 42. We have the interior items in the saloon with the cables run up to the boat deck through the galley cabinets. We have an air conditioning chase between the galley counter and the upper cabinets.

Thanks Marty. That is what I'll do then. I'm very leery about punching holes in the boat though. But I guess I need to get used to it.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

For those of you looking at going the cellular data card route, be advised that you really need to use 2 antennas to get true LTE speeds. Using 2 antennas can almost double your speeds.

We use a Sierra USB AT&T modem that has two antenna inputs.

That plugs in to a Cradlepoint MBR1200B that along with an Ericsson W35, KVH VSAT and Wave Rouge all go into a Wave MBR 400 Multi-WAN Router. Then on to a Kerio Control before being distributed around the boat by Cisco SAP1602i Wireless APs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom