registration of dinghies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lutarious

What are the rules about registering your dinghy in California? Is there a minimum size, or motor size, or something, or does every boat need CF numbers and a pint of blood to the DMV?

What are the rules about registering your dinghy in California? Is there a minimum size, or motor size, or something, or does every boat need CF numbers and a pint of blood to the DMV?

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Solely manually powered craft needn't be registered.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B48336nu0mrj

Last edited:
If it's got a motor strapped onto it, it needs to be registered. The cost is so minimal as to not be a consideration...something like $20-30 every 2 years, IIRC.

IS THE VESSEL TENDER DOCUMENTED?

Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy. These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information
http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#top

In CT a tender to a documented vessel can simply have "T/T xxxxx" lettered on its side. The xxxx is to be the mother ship's name. In our case T/T Magic." The tender needs no further registration in CT. We do not use this naming, instead we register our tender as a motorboat. My thinking is that my tender sitting at a dinghy dock does not indicate that the mothership out in the harbor may be unattended. My paranoia might not be yours.

Howard

Yeah - in CA you need to register anything with a motor hanging off it. I have an Alaska registered dinghy that I need to get registered with the CA DMV. The PO can't find the title - he's going to get a new one issued. As mentioned, it's cheap to do - so no pint of blood or first-born required. Now they have these silly "mussel" stickers that you have to attach. Oh well.

Richard

In Canada:
Pleasure craft licences are required for vessels used only for recreational purposes, do not carry passengers and are powered by an engine of 10 horsepower or more unless they are registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels. There are no fees to license your pleasure craft. It is good for ten years.

So you don't need to for a 9.9 powered dinghy, but hey if you do, it's free!

Note: Licensed in Canada = Registered in USA. Registered in Canada = Documented in USA

Last edited:
[QUOTE=". My thinking is that my tender sitting at a dinghy dock does not indicate that the mothership out in the harbor may be unattended. My paranoia might not be yours.

Howard[/QUOTE]

Thanks Howard....I just had the new dink "T/T 'd" now I'll be awake all night wondering if I should take it off.

My dinghy has no exterior markings except for "Trinka." Still, on the inside transom is engraved "C Coot." I'm not worried.

232323232%7Ffp54432%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3955%3C489%3B%3A336nu0mrj

Back
Top Bottom