WiFi Hot Spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danz

Vessel Name
Azure
Vessel Make
Selene 53
Hi, looking for suggestions on what company to purchase antenna (or other device) for hooking up to wifi hotspots.

Thanks...

Dan

We have a Wave Wifi Rogue Pro, I've been happy with it.

We have had a WirieAP for years, works great and sets up a wifi network on the boat so all our devices can interface with each other.

There are two well known approaches. The Ubiquiti bullet which can be bought directly for about $79. It is an amplifier, receiver etc that can be connected to a large antenna. A number of resellers have packaged the bullet with their own software and instructions. The bullet without a separate router connects to your computer with a LAN cable.

A second approach is the Alfa units, less powerful but liked by many. They connect to the computer with a USB (LAN?) cable. Make sure you get the longer (12" or so) antenna These units start at $39 or so.

There are a number of routers you can use including Ubitiquis Pico Station.

Lots of options for these units. One issue with buying the bullet directly is that it comes with a 110v power pack which I am not happy with. I had gotten a 12v power pack from my original vendor - now out of business - and it is a better deal and allows you to connect the Pico Station and the bullet in one power pack unit.

Be familiar with these units before you go shopping for a package from a reseller so you know what you are getting.

Or get a MiFi unit from a cell carrier for 50 bucks a month and not have to worry about security or trying to get a password.

Or get a MiFi unit from a cell carrier for 50 bucks a month and not have to worry about security or trying to get a password.

:thumb::thumb:

At the very least be very very aware and vigilant of what you do while on a wifi network.

I recommend buying your own hotspot. The main reason is for security. If you are going to be conducting any banking activities or personal things that you don't want others seeing, I don't recommend using someone else's unsecure network. You could probably add on to your existing phone bill cheap or just buy a phone that is myfi capable. I never use free wifi, there is too much shenanigans going on out there these days.

Possibly the OP wanted Internet TV like Netflix or Hulu.
More data than a MiFi unit is practical of providing. In that case it's probably cheaper and far more reliable to get a Sat TV setup. I got a used tract
k it tv unit for $250 and for $6 more a month I've got DirecTV on the boat. Just one more way to skin the cat.

Have a Mifi that I use on my boat. Has an external antenna port in the back. A $45 +/- automotive magnetic mount antenna placed inside the boat gave me adequate to great reception 99% of the time traveling up the ICW from Fort Myers, FL to Crisfield, MD. Adding a Tracvision TV3 to handle the intertainment logistics.

Ted

The trick with hot spots is you aren't able to stream much without blowing through your allotment quickly and many marina wifi's aren't powerful enough to reach all the docks and inside the boat.

Both are almost a necessity for cruising if you want television and don't have satellite.

The trick with hot spots is you aren't able to stream much without blowing through your allotment quickly and many marina wifi's aren't powerful enough to reach all the docks and inside the boat.

Both are almost a necessity for cruising if you want television and don't have satellite.

I don't watch much tv on the boat but when I do I use a digital antenna and can using pick up plenty of stations in hd.

I have a system by PDQ, uses the Ubiquity amp. It comes complete with everything including onboard router. When not in WIFI range I connect it to my Verizon MIFI. This way everything onboard only connects to the PDQ router and I decide where I source from.
Had an issue with the system about it year in and the service was outstanding.

There's a lot of places along the ACIW you don't get or only get a few over the air channels. Many times those few have programming that isn't my style.

Not to say that near major cities that the $30 antenna hasn't saved the day when WiFi isn't available.

Again, not everyone needs/enjoys TV enough to warrant much effort, but I will say most liveaboards I know want it when they want it. Usually if they have the bucks, they get the expensive sat dishes.

I'm trying to decide between the Rogue Wave or the Island Time PC set-up. Seems like the basic difference is the easier interface on the RW. Is anyone aware of any other differences between the two other than the $100 cost?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Have the Island Time. Works well. The interface is a little confusing for this non techie, but Bob of Island Time gave good service in talking me through it.

My main problem is there are almost no non password protected wifi access points in my area.

A good deal that is getting better.....

If you have or know someone with Comcast xfinity, they are putting up more and more hot spots in places so your long range wifi antenna can pick many up.

It has saved the day in places devoid of open wifi.

Question for Android users......
I am right on the edge of 2 available signals at my dock. I'd like to be able to enhance those without adding a laptop to the boat......Just using android tablets. Will something like the Rogue with a wireless router do the trick? I can configure the system with a laptop if necessary but would prefer not to keep that on the boat. Just need an enhanced connection to the available signals for the Android's to hook to...

Although I know my way around networking protocol (old hobby) but i much prefer the firmware Wave Wifi loads onto they're units. It also mounts nicely on the standard 1 1/4 threaded antenna mounts nicely.

For TV our KVH M5 is our weapon of choice, it works great. I can be in 10ft seas and be in the salon watching deadliest catch while eating some pasta (I'm Italian).

I am right on the edge of 2 available signals at my dock. I'd like to be able to enhance those without adding a laptop to the boat......Just using android tablets. Will something like the Rogue with a wireless router do the trick? I can configure the system with a laptop if necessary but would prefer not to keep that on the boat. Just need an enhanced connection to the available signals for the Android's to hook to...

Yep, you can access the Rogue over your wireless router on your android or any-other wifi enabled device with a browser.

As others have indicated In my opinion cellular data is the way to go.

We have this on our boat for our router.

1200_2.png

Since the marine satcom units don't work in Alaska we have an Apple TV as well.

We are able to watch TV, movies, anything we want via the cellular system.
Its not as cheap as Satellite TV but it works very well.

The setup also provides a always on internet connection for the cameras, surfing, whatever we want.

As others have indicated In my opinion cellular data is the way to go.

We have this on our boat for our router.

1200_2.png

Who is your ISP? I had been happy with Clear, but suspended whenever my boat was out of the country. Now I am told that because of their merger with Sprint, and because I had suspended due to financial hardship (I guess they inferred I must be hard up since I didn't want to pay $50/month for several months when I couldn't use their service, but instead wanted to utilize the suspended service program they offered as part of their prepaid package), they won't reactivate and won't sell any other comparable service.

Who is your ISP? I had been happy with Clear, but suspended whenever my boat was out of the country. Now I am told that because of their merger with Sprint, and because I had suspended due to financial hardship (I guess they inferred I must be hard up since I didn't want to pay $50/month for several months when I couldn't use their service, but instead wanted to utilize the suspended service program they offered as part of their prepaid package), they won't reactivate and won't sell any other comparable service.

I use AT&T as my provider.

We frequently travel outside cellular range though, since in Alaska cellular is limited to port areas mostly.

When out of cellular range the system automatically falls back to the KVH satellite system. With KVH we get 2mbps download speeds, but the cost is higher so we don't stream movies on satellite.

We have had a WirieAP for years, works great and sets up a wifi network on the boat so all our devices can interface with each other.

After looking at all the systems mentioned, I think I like this the best. No separate router needed as it's an all in one unit with Wifi hotspot capability. Easy 12v hook-up and no ethernet cabling required..

After looking at all the systems mentioned, I think I like this the best. No separate router needed as it's an all in one unit with Wifi hotspot capability. Easy 12v hook-up and no ethernet cabling required..

Panbo has a recent review on WiFi and Cell booster strategies. I found it to be a good read. Very interested in the WirieAP+ which boosts both WiFi and 4G LTE signals.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Onboard WiFi and cell booster strategies, the diagrams

We have a wifi antenna that we've been using for a few years, it's not very big but it helps a lot in an anchorage or if you're at the very end of the dock. It's an Alfa, it was only something like $30, it's sponsored by active captain. The range ends up being near a mile if your line of sight isn't obstructed. It hooks up via one usb cable and its power draw isn't even measurable.

Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.

Panbo has a recent review on WiFi and Cell booster strategies. I found it to be a good read. Very interested in the WirieAP+ which boosts both WiFi and 4G LTE signals.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Onboard WiFi and cell booster strategies, the diagrams

Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.

Excellent info...and thanks Al...Let me know how it works!

For $160/mo we use a wireless setup with security and 50g

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom