Stalling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
I am seeking thoughts on why we have had a couple of stalls this past trip with our 555 diesels? I have never had so much as a hint of a stall in the last 4 years. I did recently fuel and the boat was sitting last 6 months? Fuel filters? Kicked gunk in tank? Only one engine not both! Yesterday was glorious but it is nice to have power. Both times were at idle after running for awhile?

sounds like you don't know if they will run at high load. That would confirm filter issue.
Fuel stop is a likely cause anyway. Change filters first while you learn if your engines require power to the solenoids to keep them open.

My simple way of looking at a diesel engine when they're not running well, you either have a fuel issue or you have much bigger problems.

I'm not meaning to drift your thread here, but a long time ago, I had an old Osh Kosh dump truck with a 555 Cummins in it. The truck had a nine speed transmission in it that could split high range and low range for 18 gears, then behind that, there was a four speed transmission giving one 72 gears. Are your engines of the same species?

Conall

Stalling at idle. Did the engine start again easily or did it need a lot of cranking and then bumble and lope to life?

How did the engine run before it quit? Loping, bumbling or any unstable running?

It could be an air leak in the fuel system. These engines will clear small quantities of air although they will bumble and lope. If the air volume is enough they will quit like all diesels.

Fuel filters clogging should also show a loss of power or a slowdown as they clog.

Go over the filters and be sure they are not clogged or leaking air into the system.

Check the tank vents as sometimes they can get clogged restricting air to the tank as the engine runs and the fuel level reduces. At some point the vacuum could be enough to stop fuel from reaching the engine. Not so likely here without other signs but is worth being sure.

If it was a very abrupt stall, no warning, like someone just turned off the switch , then may be that is close to what happened.
There is an electric fuel control shutdown/run valve on the PT pump, in the vee, which needs power to run. Check that the wire is tight and the connection is in good condition.

That valve could also be failing , the coil failing or the fuel seals inside the control valve, NOT the PT pump, which could allow air or just shutdown.

The ignition switch could also be faulty. On mine, the ign. sw. RUN position operates a small relay which provides power to the coil along with the guages. If that ign sw. OR that relay dies or the wiring they control is poor then the fuel valve could lose power resulting in a shutdown like the ign. sw. was turned off.

Check it all, all the wiring for loose or corroded connections.

Intermittent problems like this can be a pain.

If the engine ran well before the quits then it may just take some time to I.D. the cause.

Last edited:
Idle set too low? C Lectric has some good ideas. I would also add air filters and valve adjustment, depending upon the age and state of maintenance. Also, make sure you have the correct oil viscosity.

Have you changed both primary and on engine filters recently? Does the engine have an after cooler? If so any chance it or air filter is plugged or faulty? How does oil look?

C lectric as always is likely close to the mark on his suggestions.

Stalling at idle. Did the engine start again easily or did it need a lot of cranking and then bumble and lope to life?

How did the engine run before it quit? Loping, bumbling or any unstable running?

It could be an air leak in the fuel system. These engines will clear small quantities of air although they will bumble and lope. If the air volume is enough they will quit like all diesels.

Fuel filters clogging should also show a loss of power or a slowdown as they clog.

Go over the filters and be sure they are not clogged or leaking air into the system.

Check the tank vents as sometimes they can get clogged restricting air to the tank as the engine runs and the fuel level reduces. At some point the vacuum could be enough to stop fuel from reaching the engine. Not so likely here without other signs but is worth being sure.

If it was a very abrupt stall, no warning, like someone just turned off the switch , then may be that is close to what happened.
There is an electric fuel control shutdown/run valve on the PT pump, in the vee, which needs power to run. Check that the wire is tight and the connection is in good condition.

That valve could also be failing , the coil failing or the fuel seals inside the control valve, NOT the PT pump, which could allow air or just shutdown.

The ignition switch could also be faulty. On mine, the ign. sw. RUN position operates a small relay which provides power to the coil along with the guages. If that ign sw. OR that relay dies or the wiring they control is poor then the fuel valve could lose power resulting in a shutdown like the ign. sw. was turned off.

Check it all, all the wiring for loose or corroded connections.

Intermittent problems like this can be a pain.

If the engine ran well before the quits then it may just take some time to I.D. the cause.

Thanks for the great thoughts everyone! I will check it out. I have been having some electrical gremlins with the inverter. I am wondering about the power thoughts. I have not changed filters recently so a possibility. Oil looks good. It was abrupt and did not hard start but I let it sit for a minute and then it restarted. I am so not used to cranking for very long I did not try I just let it sit. It ran for 4 hours at cruise after the stall.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom