Would like to add a big screen for navigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autoteacher

Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
Mainship
Currently have a Garmin 741S for navigation and active capt companion on tablet and cell for some details. We have a spare laptop with win 7, no Macs. We would like to add an lcd display that would give navigation, gps, Active capt companion all in one. We hear some have ebay purchased computers, displays and assorted free or purchased software to do this. What works for you on your boat? Remember I do not have your money. Thanks for all!

I lost my screen display on my laptop while in the D.R. last winter. Most of my Navigation items were in the lap top. I simply plugged it into my T.V. and got a bigger screen.

dan

I have a 7" Standard Horizon plotter and in order to have a large screen you have to purchase the $3000 version which is a large screen and comes with a plug for a large screen. Logical and guaranteed to p*ss off a boat owner like me.

I use an iPad with Bad Elf and Navionics as a backup.

I use CE on a PC that feeds a display.

Many recent threads on TF partially addressing your question. Your laptop may or may not work perfectly for this endeavor - Windows 7 is a good start but if you've got it loaded with other stuff already, charting problems could occur. Lots of laptop charting programs to look at from cheap to expensive. Some names - Polar, Rose Point, Nobeltec but to name a few. Contact Jeff at Active Captain, he may know very best low cost approach to suit your needs.

A throw away monitor can be found maybe at your local thrift store. I saw one on the shelf at our nearby Kiwanis store, $15. Lots of people have older perfectly good laptops sitting around that should work even if they have XP.

Daddyo installed a big screen monitor on Grace last year. If he doesn't chime in on this thread soon consider sending him a PM asking him to do so. It doubled as a tv when not underway if I recall.

Why wouldn't a $200 computer monitor from Best Buy work?
I know its not "Marine" but you can buy a lot of $200 monitors for $3,000

Like my large screen Garmin plotters that came with the boat. Use a laptop for active captain and probably polar explorer. Will probably secure the laptop out of the way and use a remote PC monitor ram mounted with wireless mouse and keyboard. Lots of options for inexpensive monitors including usb plug only (no power cord).

Ted

Might be beneficial to identify what size monitor you desire.

Also, would recommend a LED vice LCD as the power requirements are significantly reduced.

Haven't bought it yet (heck, I haven't found it yet!) but my ideal specs for a laptop for navigation and other on board use are:

17" or larger display
1920 x 1080 resolution
touchscreen
5th generation Intel i5 or i7 CPU
256gb SSD (or larger)
WiFi AC1900
7-8 hour battery life between recharge

Lots of good replies here. Thanks for all! I will check out mariner MX and garmin homeport. I have a 21 LCD, a Acer with 15 inch and a acer tablet. I wanted to know what works and does not work for you. I do not have your money! I wanted to have one device to give me gps, navigation and Active Captain with out being online or data use of cell.
Thanks to all that gave good suggestions.

AutoTeacher.
I had a similar view on budget. I ended up with a free old end-of-life laptop from work (thinkpad t410 with weak batteries - I run it on the inverter) , OpenCPN, em-trak b100 AIS, and a 15" ELO touchscreen monitor from eBay - the latter used in the restaurant industry a lot so splash proof. I didn't want a larger screen though there are many around. So I have a touch-screen chart plotter with AIS tracking. A low cost solution and works well. The same thing could be done without the touch-screen if that element is not of interest. OpenCPN is a great product too.

I run SeaClear on my 17" screen laptop. I plug in a $50 GPS puck to a USB port. Works fine. I also use the same software and GPS puck with my Acer 11" screen netbook. SeaClear is freeware and it uses free downloaded NOAA charts.

Why wouldn't a $200 computer monitor from Best Buy work?
I know its not "Marine" but you can buy a lot of $200 monitors for $3,000

This is the approach the PO of my Hatteras took and we cruised extensively very happily with it for almost 7 years. The 19" unit up on the flying bridge was on a RAM mount that allowed adjustment in all directions. It was an extremely rare event for it to be washed out by sunlight, which had to be directly shining on it. Given the bimini, the tinted hatch cover (it folded down into a shallow cubby with the electronics) , it worked great 99.5% of the time. It was "only" 300 nits". I think one of the keys was that it had a matte non-glare screen. Those kinds of screens are harder to find these days, so anti glare add-on filters are probably necessary. My Macbooks, with glossier screens, were virtually worthless up there all the time.

Typically the screen would be positioned straight up and pointed at the helmsman, vs what is shown in this picture. That RAM mount was a really great feature. It is fantastic what a difference a big screen makes, particularly the ability to have very easy to see split screens.

P1010032.JPG

Down at the lower helm we had three 17" units, the middle one was rigged to hook a computer to. One screen was hooked to the networked Furuno VX2 BB at that helm, the other mirrored the Furuno unit on the FB. This was fantastic in heavy fog, where I could one devoted 100% to radar and the other to the plotter view, both of which could include depth. Or an almost infinite number of other configuration depending on need or, more typically, whimsy.

1460786_29.jpg

As a repeater off my Garmin 4210 on the bridge, in the cabin I have a 22inch 12 volt flatscreen as a repeater. Ran RCA connectors and boom, no fuss no mess. Until or if I buy a remote control I can only run it from the bridge but I can see all I need to operate the boat from the lower helm. I did switch the autopilot so I can kill it from the lower helm and take over if needed.

Bay Pelican has a $229 nettop attached to a $200 15" monitor with a now obsolete Garmin 76. Running both Nobeltec and Coastal Explorer.

Note Windows 8.0 will not run Nobeltec's VNS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom