Mainship 30. 2002

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swanee2710

Im a newbie. I just purchased a Pilot 30 2002. Over the winter I built a hard top and was wondering if anyone could use a windshield and arch. This boat had no manuals and where can I purchase one or get a copy. I searched the Internet and could not get any info on the main ship company it self. One more thing I have the 230 Yanmar with 350 hours I don't think it is even broken in yet. Runs great have manual on its way. Any thing I should know if any had a problem with this engine. Thanks

Welcome aboard!

I remember other Pilot owners talking about having to rework the exhaust riser to increase the height on some, not sure if 30 or the 34.

The experts will probably be along shortly...

Here is a link to manuals for most Mainship models including the P30: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-aLo_dtjdn3Z2hrQU9wQzNiakE&usp=sharing

The Yahoo Mainship Group is a great source of info even though I hate the Yahoo web site. Go to groups.yahoo.com, search for Mainship and sign up.

The Yanmar engine is one of the best they made but like all marine engines needs some maintenance to keep it running right. Even with only 350 hours of use, it has been sitting in sea water for more than ten years and that will take its toll.

Go through, check and clean and if necessary replace everything seawater related: raw water impeller, all heat exchangers in the raw water circuit, zincs and the exhaust elbow. You should particularly pay attention to the air cooler which if it fails internally can let your engine ingest sea water.

As cardude noted above, the Pilots have a marginally designed exhaust system that can let sea water back up into your turbo. You can check to see if water has been getting back in by removing the insulation blanket on the exhaust and unscrewing the V-Clamp bolts on the joint at the exhaust turbo exist and at the mixer joint. Take off the elbow and look inside the turbo throat. It should have no rust or corrosion and only a light coating of soot.

David

Last edited:
Go through, check and clean and if necessary replace everything seawater related: raw water impeller, all heat exchangers in the raw water circuit, zincs and the exhaust elbow. You should particularly pay attention to the air cooler which if it fails internally can let your engine ingest sea water.
Excellent advice! I just went through this exercise on a new to me low time boat and am glad I did. Before the work was done, the starboard engine's heat gauge started to rise. After the work was accomplished, we fire walled the engines for about 5+ minutes and all was well.

After the work was accomplished, we fire walled the engines for about 5+ minutes and all was well.

Would have liked to been a fly on the wall to see the grin on your face running that Ocean Alexander on the pins for 5 minutes.

Would have liked to been a fly on the wall to see the grin on your face running that Ocean Alexander on the pins for 5 minutes.
Probably a very expensive 5 minutes but well worth the cost.....IT WAS GREAT!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom