View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #34
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I launched as quickly as I could and headed out away from shore thinking I'd loose the bugs. Lost all the bugs except the big black flies. They followed me for miles.
Yeah, they're amazing. If instead of dropping bombs and missiles and stuff on the Middle East in an effort to root out ISIS, we simply dropped huge bags of live Alaska horseflies, that whole mess over there would die down overnight. Everyone would be so intent on escaping the jaws of those things that religious fanaticism and terrorism would immediately be forgotten.

We were extremely fortunate (and have been extremely grateful) that our PNW boat came with a full set of screens for all the opening windows and hatches thanks to a previous owner. The only thing we don't have a screen for is the main cabin door.

While we haven't taken the boat to Alaska and had to deal with the Insect Air Force up there that you had to deal with, the screens have many times made the difference between a pleasant evening on board in an anchorage or marine park and a miserable one. Particularly if it's hot and there's no or hardly any breeze. To be able to have all the windows and hatches open on a warm evening and have no bugs at all inside the boat is fabulous. It's particularly fabulous during yellowjacket season.
Attached Thumbnails
Yellowjackt.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote