View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
Manly Q.
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi All,

Just my thoughts and happy to be wrong. Firstly whenever anyone dies in an accident [ I hate calling them that ] someone must be held accountable.

My thoughts on the Colregs which I am relearning at the moment, the smaller boat apparently was not at anchor and therefo0re was not required to carry an anchor light at the masthead but as such it may then have to be considered to be underway and should have shown nav light appropiate for its`size.

Professional fishing boats have a series of light which they must display while working but not so with pleasure or smaller craft.

There may be a loophole in the regs which do not at first appear to cover a small private boat drift fishing.!!!

he courts will try to use the wisdom of Soloman to share the blame as equitibaly as possible. In this case I suspect that the deaths of the two fishermen would have complicated this matter greatly and taken much searching of the rules to find the right solution.

Bottom line for all of us, be careful out on the water, it is an unforgiving enviornment.

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote