Marking Chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yo! Marin. :thumb:

I believe it's a GB42 that was washed out of a harbor by the tidal surge along the northern California or Oregon coast from the tsunami that came across from the earthquake in Japan four years ago. The boat was subsequently washed up on the beach south of the town.

You're correct, Marin. I lifted the image from the web just after the tsunami hit the west coast of NA. I have the port-side view somewhere. Always my reminder to check the dock lines.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429166662.903090.jpg

Paint every year when I wash the chain for storage. System of marks at 25, 50, 75 and 100, then repeat. 5 colors in spray cans each year.

Used cable ties for 6 years with Maxwell windlass worked great, but replaced with Ideal windlass and the cable ties jammed the chain in the gypsy. At that point shifted to painting.

Later in the game installed a CruzPro chain counter which is wonderful. Continue with both systems as each has its advantages.

Imtra anchor chain markers

Has anyone used these?

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 463
Ok, ok…I guess having a chain counter is kind of like how folk tend to poo hoo things in cars with electric windows, electric auto-adjusting memory seats, cruise control etc, when they don't have them, but when they get a car with them, in quite a short time find themselves wondering how on earth they managed without.

Except for Marin, of course. But he needs to remember he has a wife who likes to run the boat as much as he does, including working the controls, engine, etc, when anchoring, most of us have to manage that stuff solo, (my 2ic is usually reading when we anchor), so that makes anchoring, up and down, much easier from the helm. And no - a dog can't do it.

Ok, ok…I guess having a chain counter is kind of like how folk tend to poo hoo things in cars with electric windows, electric auto-adjusting memory seats, cruise control etc, when they don't have them, but when they get a car with them, in quite a short time find themselves wondering how on earth they managed without.

Bad analogy I think. All those things make operating a vehicle safer, even the memory seats. A chain counter does not make operating a boat safer EXCEPT in the case of a solo operator, when it does.

For people who have a significant other who sits and reads or looks out the window while the boat is being anchored tell her (or him) to get off her butt, walk up forward, step on the pedal and count out the damn rode markers. She's on the boat anyway so you might as well get some use out of her and the price is right.

And yes, a dog can count out the markers, it's that easy. A cat can't do it because a) it's beneath them and b) they have the attention span of a gnat. However a dog, at least our dog, is not heavy enough to push the pedal all the way down.:)

Wow, lots of interesting replies. So to avoid further drift.....

1) I'm using 1/4 G7 chain. They don't appear to make the chain markers that small.

2) I have a 25lb Manson Supreme and I do NOT have a windlass.

3) The Admiral deploys and retrieves the anchor manually. I drive up to is and she retrieves the line.

4) We're only talking about 100 ft. of chain.

Neither a windlass nor a chain counter is going to be installed.

I really appreciate everyone's replies. Some great ideas about marking anchor out of water and also at the bitter end of the rode.

Last edited:
....Use technology to count chain falling off the front of the boat? Don't really see any value in that. Not when I can look at a two-cent wire tie and say "Ten." And then when I see the next one say, "Twenty."

Or if I'm lazy and this proves to be too intense an undertaking I can ask the dog to do it.:)
Teach the dog to pee on chain and anchor during retrieve (easy if he/she is a retriever),you won`t need the deckwash.:)

Teach the dog to pee on chain and anchor during retrieve (easy if he/she is a retriever),you won`t need the deckwash.:)

Another anchor thread that has turned into a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ contest....:facepalm::hide::flowers:

I still love my counter....:thumb:

Peter, I know what you're saying about the gadgetry. I love gadgets more than many! I guess that's why I became a pilot....lots of buttons, controls, switches, lights and gauges!! But when it comes to anchor rode length, I'm watching the chain and gypsy from my lower helm controls anyway, so with the rode markers, I never need to distract my attention from the main event to know the rode length. Kind of like a heads-up display for pilots...it gives all the info I need while looking out the windshield. And it's practically free!!

Our Chihuahua can't see up to the windlass. Our poodle reads the depth sounder, calculates the scope required and then tells me when to stop lowering chain.

Howard

Our Chihuahua can't see up to the windlass. Our poodle reads the depth sounder, calculates the scope required and then tells me when to stop lowering chain.

Howard

Aha…gotcha right there hmason. I happen to know, having had a poodle for many years, (happy ones I must say), that just will not happen.

Poodles are way too intelligent to be inveigled into doing anything they do not actually want or enjoy doing. Even if you throw them a stick…something which gets lesser pooches all in an excitement lather, and have them bring it back time and time again to throw again. Poodles look at you with a pained expression, as it to say, "do you think I'm that silly - if I go and fetch that thing, you'll just throw the bloody thing away again - go get it yourself."
;)

Peter, I know what you're saying about the gadgetry. I love gadgets more than many! I guess that's why I became a pilot....lots of buttons, controls, switches, lights and gauges!! But when it comes to anchor rode length, I'm watching the chain and gypsy from my lower helm controls anyway, so with the rode markers, I never need to distract my attention from the main event to know the rode length. Kind of like a heads-up display for pilots...it gives all the info I need while looking out the windshield. And it's practically free!!

Fair comment Al, however, as an example, the counter helps immensely when it's dark, and conditions change outside, and one either wants to take in a bit, (getting a bit too close to another boat maybe in tight anchorage) - or let out a bit more, (weather getting up) - that's when having an actual read-out totally takes the guess-work or need to go shining torches on the bow, etc, out of the equation. But no question - highly visible ties or markers do work…

Actually, what impressed me was when, for a time, when the original magnet rusted away and loss the ability to trigger the reed with sensors, I had to go back to counting my ties. Then, I rediscovered how often the ties are hard to pick up if dirty with mud or in poor light, and then, when I replaced the magnet with a big fat beauty, and the counter worked like a charm again, I found myself swearing I'd never go without one again. :D

Actually, what impressed me was when, for a time, when the original magnet rusted away and loss the ability to trigger the reed with sensors, I had to go back to counting my ties. Then, I rediscovered how often the ties are hard to pick up if dirty with mud or in poor light, and then, when I replaced the magnet with a big fat beauty, and the counter worked like a charm again, I found myself swearing I'd never go without one again. :D

That's why counting (one potato, two potato ...) is sure-fire. Can do it with eyes closed.

Seen below is the Cruz Pro el cheapo version. (Made in Auckland NZ, but available to be sent anywhere online). Does not have auto retrieve or that sort of added complication, but works oh so well. (Once I put a bigger magnet on anyway). The lower two pics show the reed switched sensors and the magnet set into a hole in the edge of the gypsy.

Have used the Cruz Pro for several years. Magnets coming loose is the only problem so far.

Has anyone used these?

Yes, tried these several years ago. They came loose frequently. 3/8" chain. Used a larger size. Difficult to insert. Still some came loose. Then went back to painting the chain as well. The spray paint keeps them from coming loose.

Aha…gotcha right there hmason. I happen to know, having had a poodle for many years, (happy ones I must say), that just will not happen.

Poodles are way too intelligent to be inveigled into doing anything they do not actually want or enjoy doing. Even if you throw them a stick…something which gets lesser pooches all in an excitement lather, and have them bring it back time and time again to throw again. Poodles look at you with a pained expression, as it to say, "do you think I'm that silly - if I go and fetch that thing, you'll just throw the bloody thing away again - go get it yourself."
;)

You are so right. Our Poodle is reading TF right now on her computer. Can't wait to see her reaction to your post.

Last edited:
I'm relying on a one-second count. "One potato, two potato, ..." About 2.5 feet per second with my windlass. Stepping on the pedal:

I use the same system, 60 sec. = 100', the no load speed on my Muir Cougar is 105' per minute, I would rather error with more chain out than be short. I normally anchor in 15' to 20' max depth, usually 5' to 10'.

Chain Marking

I mark white every 25', with red/white/red at 100' intervals. Then I try to remember what the marks mean:socool:

I tend to seek out spots to anchor that are in the 30-50 foot range. Because I am looking for a scope of 3:1 for short stays and 5:1 for long stays I am generally looking for 30ft increments. I painted it with 3 foot sections at 30'. I then double banded zip tie at each 30' interval. 1 @ 30' and 2@ 60', etc... It works great as we only have up with the windlass and free drop:). I use pink neon easy to see krylon and just hit once a year.

6Pac - good idea, I have pretty much the same boat, Puget Trawler, I too have a free fall system, I think your system would work the best for me, & will use it. Thanks.
Tonto.

Yes they do. They are called pieces of colored line.

Thanks, so it looks like you may have overlooked the ENTIRE point of the thread. Well, at least the intention of the thread when I started it. It has since gone way off the track.

The reply you are quoting is to previous suggestion about pre-made chain markers. In fact I actually mentioned that in my original post. The reason I am discounting pre-made chain markers is they don't make them for 1/4" chain.

So, I take it pieces of colored line is your solution? Any suggestions on type of line or how you fasten them?

I use red, then white, then blue at appropriate distances. Basically I paint a two foot section red and 25' later another two foot section blue, followed by white. It's easy for me to remember. And, by painting a big area I can't miss it.

However, the paint with repeated use does wear off (I primarily live on the hook)

AND, the best/smartest thing I did was paint the first three feet white. That tells me the anchor is near the surface so I can run ahead and wash off the anchor before bringing her all the way aboard.

Whatever your bow roller to waterline is add a couple feet so you can spot it easy and you're set. When you see the white, your anchor is ready to be washed. Put her in forward and voila: instantly cleaned anchor.

I added that a few years into the anchoring thing and have found that as useful as the amount out markings.

The other thing I did is this: Ten feet from the bitter end I painted the chain white. That way I know it's getting close. And the final three feet is red.

I wrote a couple articles on it for my website... This one is a good place to start:
Janice142 article Anchor Up (Painting your Chain)

Good luck Shrew.

Great advice.

I also have sense of the time it takes to drop xxft. So many times, I just time it.

I gave up on paint and zipties. Instead, cut a piece of 1/4 polypropoleyne and lace it through the chain links about a foot...easy to see, easy to replace.

...So, I take it pieces of colored line...Any suggestions on type of line or how you fasten them?

Polypropylene line is usually 3 strand. Buy 1 foot lengths of 3 or 4 different colors, 1/4" dia and unravel each piece. Burn the ends so they don't fray. Thread the individual strands through your anchor chain at your preferred marking length/depth/color sequence. It works pretty good but in my experience the poly holds sand/mud, the windlass doesn't care though. :)

Another way is to paint a small section of the chain a different color every 25 feet. The mnemonic for remembering what color equals what distance could be “RUB YOUR BODY WITH OIL” where Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Orange could be the flag colors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom