Bayliner 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Well, we signed off on a 2000 Bayliner 4788 yesterday and take possession in Crystal River Fl, Friday. A couple days getting her (or me) ready and we will be bringing her home to Texas.

We still have our JN and while I hate to part with her, will probably end up doing so later in the summer. It has taken me a year to get her 'just right' so am in no hurry and plan on enjoying her a little while longer.

The decision to get a boat with larger living area, after living aboard for nearly 18 months on the Rhino, was a no brainer and our decision to go with the Bayliner, despite reading some of the posts recently, was also easy. It's a nice, all round, roomy, boat that will fit OUR needs perfectly.

Here is a pic with dimensions so now when I hit a bridge I will know exactly by how much :)

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 506
Excellent choice!!!!!

What I am always amazed at is just how well engineered the 4788 is. The more time I spend aboard, and the more I hear of issues our boating brethren have, the more I appreciate the 4788.

The only big modification (and this was incorporated by the factory into later models) is a center hatch for the engine room. If you do not have that option, I would incorporate it soon. It changes the whole dynamic of engine maintenance.

For anyone curious about the Bayliner 4788 here's a video showing our boats interior.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I too have always admired this model.

Will you keep it at a marina on Clear Lake? We are at Waterford, just wondering if we are neighbors.

Congrats on the 4788, that's a lot of boat.

Rafe

Congratulations on your purchase, I think the Bayliner motor yacht models are great cruising and live aboard boats. The 45/47 are at the top of the list of larger boats I would consider if I were to want something larger than our 38.

Thanks guys! Was going to say we are pickled pink but I believe Al has a claim on the color.

Will be stopping in Beaumont Yacht club to offload some gear from the JN and will then be coming to Houston for a month. Not sure where. Did the Blue Dolphin which was great when we had the vehicle with us but as we will be without this time, will be looking for something a little more convenient. Then we plan on going down to Rockport/Port Aransas and Padre. Then we get out of dodge for hurricane season by doing a few 'river' trips. Then the Bahamas for Christmas. Real loose planning at this point.

Incidentally Kevin, I joined the BOC about 2 months ago when doing my research. Great site! Also a plug for Pau Hana, who managed to customize an insurance plan to suit my cruising needs, in a very short time and a very competitive rate and who after reading this will probably give me an additional discount :)

Thanks guys! Was going to say we are pickled pink but I believe Al has a claim on the color.

Will be stopping in Beaumont Yacht club to offload some gear from the JN and will then be coming to Houston for a month. Not sure where. Did the Blue Dolphin which was great when we had the vehicle with us but as we will be without this time, will be looking for something a little more convenient. Then we plan on going down to Rockport/Port Aransas and Padre. Then we get out of dodge for hurricane season by doing a few 'river' trips. Then the Bahamas for Christmas. Real loose planning at this point.

I'm not afraid to say I'm a bit jealous. :blush:

You are doing exactly what I want to do with my retirement....
Oh well, I guess I shouldn't rush time.

One of the hardest things in my adult life has been having a boat capable of long term cruising, and not the time yet to do that cruising.

Congratulations on your purchase. I still think that group of Bayliners, 4788-5788, are a great designed boat today and a design the new market really misses. There are many great boats out there but nothing that beats these boats on utility and value.

Well, I'm tickled pink for you, Dimer! What a great boat that makes near-perfect use of the space. I've long admired that model.

BTW, you can borrow my color anytime. I don't claim exclusive rights.

img_325650_0_4797cc67be015d54e9d690060c2b34c5.jpg

Last edited:
Well since you're living aboard. . . maybe a 55' would be a little more roomy or a 61' Tolly might be nice???? :whistling:

No just teasing. .Congratulations on your new baby. The 4788 is a great boat and I love the pilothouse style. Should give you many years of satisfaction and service. ( At least until you decide to move on up?) :hide:

WHAT!.....another Bayliner owner! Is this part of a sinister plan for a hostile take-over of TF by the BOC?

Seriously though, this is a great boat and would surely be on my short-list of most live-able live-aboards. Maybe the most bank for the buck in the industry right now. Sincere congrats.

Curious about Bayliner model numbering. A bunch of them have "88" as the last two numbers in the model designation. 3888, 4788, etc. Others have "70" and there are probably other numbers that were used as well.

What characteristics do these last two numbers signify?

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. Happy Boating!

Curious about Bayliner model numbering. A bunch of them have "88" as the last two numbers in the model designation. 3888, 4788, etc. Others have "70" and there are probably other numbers that were used as well.

What characteristics do these last two numbers signify?

The last two numbers were to designate the type of boat.

This also changed over time.

88= Motoryacht
50= Sun bridge (open)
52= cuddy cabin
58= flybridge
59= express cruiser

For example my last boat was a 2859. It was considered an express cruiser, but with the factory rear bulkhead option it was in reality a pilothouse cruiser.

Before that I had a 2452 which was the same boat as the 2859 but in a 24' version.

My first Bayliner was a 1952 which was a cuddy cabin.

I've got to say something here and clear something up. This is something all 4788 owners know, but few non owners really ever consider.

Many posts indicate that the 4788 is a "great value", or a great "bang for the buck". I hear these same types of comments every time the 4788 comes up for discussion. The implication is that that the 4788 is an inexpensive boat for its size.

At a "market price" for a 4788 with Cummins engines running right now approx $200,000 or more, the Bayliner 4788 is by no means a low priced boat. Searching Yachtworld there are allot of boats for much less in the exact same size range. There are also more expensive boats as well. The 4788 sits price wise somewhere in the middle. I guess I'm saying that we didn't pick our 4788's because they are inexpensive for their size.

Most owners pick the 4788 because of what it offers. Look at the video I posted of the interior. A huge salon, nice galley, three staterooms, two heads (one with a real bath tub), huge pilothouse, gigantic boat deck. A layout that doesn't incorporate steep sets of stairs. These are what attracts buyers to this model boat.

Then when we learn that there is no history of fuel tank issues, no history of soft decks because there is no balsa to rot, no real issues of any kind the buying decision gets easier.

I'lll be honest... When I first started looking at trawlers (look for my first post here) I didn't want another Bayliner. I felt there must be something more. It was only after looking at boats of this size range, with my wife, that I realized just what a good boat design, and execution the 4788 is. The 4788 is probably the most "liveaboard friendly" booat in its size range I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I think you're right, Kevin. It's not an inexpensive boat, but for the moderate price, you get an exceptional boat. It ain't cheap, but it's a good value compared to the competition. Compared to a 48 Hatt that I saw recently (and really liked), the 4788 wins hands down in space and price.

Which would I rather be in on the big pond? Probably the Hatt, but that's not a knock on the 4788. It's just a different, saltier boat, in my humble, inexperienced opinion.

Hey, I loved that video, but you left out some features and space. How about Chapter 2 with the flybridge, cockpit and engine room? We want more!!

88= Motoryacht
50= Sun bridge (open)
52= cuddy cabin
58= flybridge
59= express cruiser

This is great information!! I long wondered the difference!

I think you're right, Kevin. It's not an inexpensive boat, but for the moderate price, you get an exceptional boat. It ain't cheap, but it's a good value compared to the competition. Compared to a 48 Hatt that I saw recently (and really liked), the 4788 wins hands down in space and price.

Which would I rather be in on the big pond? Probably the Hatt, but that's not a knock on the 4788. It's just a different, saltier boat, in my humble, inexperienced opinion.

Hey, I loved that video, but you left out some features and space. How about Chapter 2 with the flybridge, cockpit and engine room? We want more!!

88= Motoryacht
50= Sun bridge (open)
52= cuddy cabin
58= flybridge
59= express cruiser

This is great information!! I long wondered the difference!

Thanks Al!

I'll make another video, I've been thinking about it, but like many things just never get around to it.

I agree, there are better rough water boats. That said the 4788 does a pretty good job, and if its really rough I'd rather be sitting in the cockpit, or up on the boat deck reading a good book, or chatting at the dock with other boaters anyway. :)

And... The 4788 is a good value in that what you get for a reasonable price is a boat with very few expensive issues that will haunt you down the road.

Last edited:
There are many great boats out there but nothing that beats these boats on utility and value.

The word "value" is sometimes misinterpreted to mean "cheap" on "inexpensive". It's not that. It's what it delivers for the money. I would definitely not expect the cheapest used boats out there to be the best value. Bayliner actually was toward the low end of the price scale when built, but it's to their credit that they've held resale better than many other boats. So, as Kevin pointed out it's an important distinction to make.

Well, I'm tickled pink for you, Dimer!

BTW, you can borrow my color anytime. I don't claim exclusive rights.

img_325760_0_4797cc67be015d54e9d690060c2b34c5.jpg

I like your colors Al... But I'm a safety yellow guy myself. :blush:

That photo was taken Monday. Two days back at work from a total hip replacement and I'm out pulling fiber in the cold. :eek:

Attachments

• photo of kevin working.jpg
    photo of kevin working.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
My 2nd charter was a 4588 Bayliner many years ago and we fell in love with the boat. I'm one of those who uses the phrase "Bang for the buck" and that's simply because the Bayliner motoryachts offer a LOT of boat for the buck. Not that they're cheap, but they're less expensive than many of their competitors.

I've been a strong Bayliner proponent since that first charter.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Funny enough, after looking at a gazzilion boats, the two that really spoke to me was the Bayliner and the Defever 49. Two totally different boats in every way. The decision of course was made by Michelle....I just went along to keep her company :)

Well, I just have to chime in! As a fellow 4788 owner I agree you made a wise choice! When you run at trawler speeds you can get between 1.2 to 1.5 nmpg, which isn't bad. The model-specific expertise on BOC is incredible. I like this site for the camaraderie of fellow boat lovers and cruisers.

Rob

Bayliner actually was toward the low end of the price scale when built, but it's to their credit that they've held resale better than many other boats.
:iagree:My best friend had a 4588 and we often talked about the relatively low price he paid. As I've stated several times before, "they are a great boat and yes, you get a lot of bang for the buck." As for resale? Some of the hottest pre owned boats on the market are the 45/4788 Bayliners.

Hull Form of 4788

I'm glad I found this thread as I am to considering a 4788 but was wondering how the boat would act in somewhat rough water. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't been able to fully ascertain the hull shape from pictures on YachtWorld, but from what I could see the bottom is fairly flat without much of a keel and prop protection. Am I wrong? I too think the layout will work well and will be looking at one soon. We just need to get to the Bahamas in one piece and if encounter rough water can't have the boat coming apart. Thanks for any advice!

I'm glad I found this thread as I am to considering a 4788 but was wondering how the boat would act in somewhat rough water. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't been able to fully ascertain the hull shape from pictures on YachtWorld, but from what I could see the bottom is fairly flat without much of a keel and prop protection. Am I wrong? I too think the layout will work well and will be looking at one soon. We just need to get to the Bahamas in one piece and if encounter rough water can't have the boat coming apart. Thanks for any advice!

The fact that Kevin has his boat in the Gulf of Alaska answers that question.

You won't find any worse weather in the Bahamas or even crossing the Gulf Stream to get there.

Congratulations Dimer2.
Sounds like you two have a great plan and the perfect boat for it.

The fact that Kevin has his boat in the Gulf of Alaska answers that question.

Thanks! :)

I think the open ocean is probably the same most anywhere. There are good days and there are not so good days.

Typical sea state is 4-5' seas at 7-9 seconds.
Good days are either smaller waves or longer period.
Worse days are >6' and close together.

For us we always face these as a beam sea.

In the 4788 we apply power to plant the aft of the boat, this slows the roll considerably. Of course tacking back and forth works as well.

Head seas are easier on us, and following seas are a dream in the 4788. ive been in >10' following seas and never had the autopilot give up.

Seas are just what you are used to. Some cruise the ICW and delta areas...I dream of those kinds of cruises.

As for falling apart :) Just like most any boat, you'll call it quits long before you get into a real risk of loosing your boat.

Back
Top Bottom