View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #18
Pineapple Girl
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
My husband and I are very happy with our PT 35. We have had the boat for four and a half years and haven't had any "issues". I put that in quotes because yes we have spent a lot of boat bucks but even with the big job we had done a year ago, I still have no complaints. you are going to have to spend some money on SOMETHING if you buy a thirty year old boat. (last year we had to replace one of the shafts and couplings, and get the bottom taken down to the gelcoat and redone.)
We have twin perkins turbos. I can never remember the number I would have to look it up. We have not had any issues there, just routine maintenance. That being said, the prior owner had done some more major maintenance including replacing something semi-major. Sorry I cannot remember what it was but relating to the turbo. Does the boat REALLY need turbo or 210 hp twins? No. but if you like the boat...
Staining under the windows-yes we have that too. i have never seen an actual leak so I ignore it. Actually the only time I saw any leaking was when we were taking water over the bow and onto the front window and I saw water coming in the top of the windows!! But that was a one time gig.
How does it handle-not as bad in the breeze as you might think with that big butt. We don't have any kind of canvas enclosure on the sun deck or flybridge, I think that would make it much worse. You definitely have to be aware of the wind and current and plan accordingly, and be willing to bail out and start over if you need to. Having twins helps.
As far as the heater, the PO of ours was a live aboard and he had put in a new Webasto (sp?) diesel heater right before he sold the boat. It works great but there are definitely different temperatures in different parts of the boat-which makes sense considering how different they are (all the windows in the main saloon for instance). We do not have AC-if I ever get around to putting it in I will definitely have the aft cabin on a separate zone from the main cabin. We basically use the V berth for storage so not too worried about it.
hope that helps, happy to answer any questions.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote