40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks again tgvas,

I have been doing searches primarily on Bluewater Acapulco and customs, totally missed the Tayana as 99% of them appear to be sailboats. They seem to be even more rare than the Bluewater version. How sure are you that they are based on the same hull?
Thanks for bringing them to my attention and filling in more of the Pilothouse crossword puzzle.

DeltaJim,

My wife and I actually looked at this boat a few years ago at Vercoe Yacht sales. We liked the layout but found rot in the right rear corner of the roof then, 5 years ago. I would think the rot has really grown since then if it was not addressed. This would be a big job, but doable for the right person. I would be very cautious about proceeding without seeing what else developed over time regarding this issus alone.

Thanks Keith,

Please see earlier posting. Make sure which boat you are referring to. The 1972 is apparently in good shape, the 1979 has serious rot problems among others.

No, haven't seen that, but what a nicely cared for boat, too much $$ though, however usually when the owner has taken such good care of the outside, they have taken as much care of the mechanicals as well, so you never know.

I just wouldn't want to bring it back here all the way from Australia, unless there were fuel stations along the way.

Two brokers I have talked with said the Tayana 42 and Bluewater 40 are the same boat, but since I've not personally been on the Tayana, all I can do is take their word for that, although all the specs support their claims.

The other boat I'd suggest, although larger, is the 49 Defever, priced about the same or less, that's a well built tank and has a wonderful interior, mechanics and solidly built.

tgvas,

Since when did you ever take a Broker's word for it.....

Yes, I was just in awe of the features and condition of 4 Seasons; if she was on the West Coast, I would be awful temped to sell my soul for her! (but, my soul ain't worth enough to move her)

Maybe the price is not that far out of line when you consider features, condition and the typical 10-20% premium that most boat sellers start out at; for $150K out-the-door, not a bad boat if the ER is in good shape and she Surveys'.

Like RT always says, "so where are the ER pics if they have nothing to hide?"
I am beginning to think that only a small fraction of buyers give a hoot about the engine room, and just expect to hire a "professional" mechanic to do "minimal" maintenance and change their oil whenever they think about it. So, the brokers just focus on the "sizzle" pictures.

I agree with you on the DeFever, but she is just Too Big. Even the 42 Tayana is pushing my limit, even if they are the same as the 40' Bluewater.
I adhere with the TF motto of "buy as small a boat as you can live with, not the biggest you can afford".
I am still having some difficulty with the corollary, "buy your second boat first", although; it seems to be working out well for Friar George.
For me initially, the 34' Sedan was a handful for a first boat; now she is getting rather tight.

Where is CMF?

There is a Kadey Krogen 42 not far from me that is getting closer to the real price it should be.

1982 Kadey Krogen Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

They are superb boats, if your mechanicals are in order and I could add a little more fuel tankage I would not hesitate to sail on of those around the world, and that's coming from a Westsail 32 purest.

The broker tried to pull the wool over me last fall when I looked at her, listed then for about 100 grand as I recall, has since dropped to 79, but he told me the fuel tanks were fiberglass when I asked, trying to feel his honesty and experience out.

I knew they were black iron cloaked in fiberglass, and the engine room was absolutely spotless, but, the tanks were empty, telling me they were probably leaking and the faint smell of diesel supported my suspicion, however, no admittance from the broker.
Fuel Tanks can be dealt with, the problem on that boat was the foredecks were rotted, reason why the giant windlass was removed and placed just in front of the pilot house temporarily.

If you are interested, I bet you could grab it for 60, put 30 in the decks, tanks another 25 maybe and you'd have a genuine go anywhere tank.

From experience, I'd rather have a boat that I knew needed a lot of work for a huge drop in price, then a seemingly pristine boat for a big price, because even on those pristine boats, you're going to find expensive renovations need to be done, no matter what the boat looks like and particularly what the broker promises.

Also, most surveyors I have known are not worth the expense, they miss 30% of what is really going on in older boats.

The Kadey Krogen Option

tgvas,

I can appreciate your respect for KKs, but I would not have one if I was required to keep it. They are just Way Too Tuggy for my taste.
Many of the early '80's KKs are junk, though the owners have yet to come to reality. They have saturated core Hulls which I consider not repairable.

The only KK that I would have is a Whaleback, but they start at 48' and half a Million $$$. Far, far off the financial spectrum for me. I refuse to even let myself fantasize about them.

I also appreciate your last statement about surveyors of old boats - right on in my case as well.

Attachments

• KK Whaleback, crpd.jpg
    KK Whaleback, crpd.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited by a moderator:
you're probably correct, I've looked at 4 and there was a deck problem in each.

Thanks Josh,

This looks familiar. I think I saw it posted as "sold" some time back. Wonder what is up with that and why she has not turned up on my searches. Have not had time today to run a search; been to busy working on getting my dinghy back on the boat after refirb.

I am sure I have seen this one before, and on BoatShed as well I believe.
I cannot recollect the time frame though.

Nice spec on this one. Reflected in price. Not sure I'd like teak deck they look in great shape. Listing says Portuguese deck rebuilt by Philbrooks recently. I'd have to put a mast on it. Looks odd without one.

I'm curious if you ever got around to looking at the BlueWater in Vancouver. I used to live just down the road from where it looks to be moored, spent a good part of my childhood sailing on the columbia. But I digress....

I think it's a great looking trawler and like the layout. Partial to the pilothouse vs. the flybridge myself.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Way_out,

No, after long and arduous soul searching, I decided that I just could not live with that very cramped cockpit. The model has a lot going for it and I love the RP and Portuguese Bridge, but just could not accept the cockpit - it's a deal breaker for me at any price. Just too spoiled with Satori's huge cockpit for a 34' boat.

Bluewater in Vancouver issues

I looked at the Bluewater in Vancouver about 3 weeks ago and it is definitely an interesting boat. The roof of the pilot house was apparently rebuilt several years ago but unfortunately the work was not done right. These boats have a goofy roof design to begin with, that is prone to leaking and rot. when whomever rebuilt the house roof unfortunately they just rebuilt it as designed! The biggest dealbreaker for me was the access door to the engine room. there is no way you could get in the engine room without possibly being eaten alive by the alternator at the front of the motor. I'd maybe go $50k for this boat then get to work.........

Thanks Soulshine,

Wish I had heard from you sooner. Like I said, could not get past the cockpit; did not get to the forward ER access.

There is some more history behind this boat and owner, but I will leave it at that.
Mama said if I did not have anything good to say to keep my trap shut! - good advice.

I'm bumping this one and answering it though its several years old.

The Tayana is 42 feet - Bluewater 40'
The Tayana has a 14' beam - Bluewater 13'
A boat identical to the Tayana 42 was marketed as a C & C 42, I've seen two examples.
The Tayana was designed as a twin and no single engine models were manufactured. As far as I was told.
The Bluewater was designed as a single engine but more twin engine models were built than singles.
The Bluewater and Tayana were designed by James McPherson not Defever

The major identifying difference between the Bluewater and Tayana is that the Bluewater has strake lines on the hull and the Tayana is completely smooth.

The one that I knew of was “Bodacious” out of San Diego. It had a single Ford Lehman . He did the loop after going through Panama Canal and crossing the Gulf . He kept it here at our marina for about a year before completing the Loop . Nice Boat .

The one that I knew of was “Bodacious” out of San Diego. It had a single Ford Lehman . He did the loop after going through Panama Canal and crossing the Gulf . He kept it here at our marina for about a year before completing the Loop . Nice Boat .

I recall reading about that trip somewhere.

We bought ours from the original owner and it came with a lot of documentation. One of the documents was a list of every Bluewater 40 PH built, owner and port.

According to that list, only 20 were built, but I've never been able to verify that.

i resurrected this thread because i just bought the 1972 bluewater named rendezvous. if anyone is still monitoring this section of the forum, i'd like to ask, what are you using for ground tackle? does it self stow ok?

i resurrected this thread because i just bought the 1972 bluewater named rendezvous. if anyone is still monitoring this section of the forum, i'd like to ask, what are you using for ground tackle? does it self stow ok?[/QFrom?

Welcome to Bluewater ownership.

I use a 66 pound genuine Bruce and it stows fine on our 76 Bluewater. I used a 44 genuine Bruce prior to getting the 66 and it stowed fine also.

Where did Rendezvous come from? Where will you moor it?

Please post any questions specific to Bluewaters in the Bluewater section. Will be happy to answer any questions you may have and other BW owners will chime in.

i resurrected this thread because i just bought the 1972 bluewater named rendezvous. if anyone is still monitoring this section of the forum, i'd like to ask, what are you using for ground tackle? does it self stow ok?[/QFrom?

Welcome to Bluewater ownership.

I use a 66 pound genuine Bruce and it stows fine on our 76 Bluewater. I used a 44 genuine Bruce prior to getting the 66 and it stowed fine also.

Where did Rendezvous come from? Where will you moor it?

Please post any questions specific to Bluewaters in the Bluewater section. Will be happy to answer any questions you may have and other BW owners will chime in.

thank you for the speedy reply. i found the boat in annecortes, will be taking it to olympia around the end of the month. it seems to be in good overall condition, with some upgrades and some original stuff. i'll be sorting it for a while i'm sure.
i think it's the original subject of this thread from years ago.
i only ask about the anchor because the 1 year old survey i have shows a 66# bruce but the p.o. replaced it with a danforth style hanging from the bow rail. he claimed the bruce was prone to banging into the bow and didn't stow well. i believe there's a cqr that came with the boat too,but i have yet to find it. i haven't had much time to poke around yet.

thank you for the speedy reply. i found the boat in annecortes, will be taking it to olympia around the end of the month. it seems to be in good overall condition, with some upgrades and some original stuff. i'll be sorting it for a while i'm sure.
i think it's the original subject of this thread from years ago.
i only ask about the anchor because the 1 year old survey i have shows a 66# bruce but the p.o. replaced it with a danforth style hanging from the bow rail. he claimed the bruce was prone to banging into the bow and didn't stow well. i believe there's a cqr that came with the boat too,but i have yet to find it. i haven't had much time to poke around yet.

The Bruce stows fine by itself on the bow roller but has hit the bow a few times. In order to deploy it, I do have to manually push it past the roller.

A lot depends on the bow roller set up. I have seen at least two different types of bow rollers on BW 39's.

You need to be careful with these boats , They were commissioned in Taiwan by the guy that started, founded Rogers Marine Inc. Portland Oregon electronics dealer. I owned one for a short time ,I’m not gonna go through all the negatives , however there’s a lot of plywood in those boats ,plywood house ,decks ,plywood Portuguese bridge covered with a thin layer of fiberglass for waterproofing that’s all I’m gonna say

You need to be careful with these boats , They were commissioned in Taiwan by the guy that started, founded Rogers Marine Inc. Portland Oregon electronics dealer. I owned one for a short time ,I’m not gonna go through all the negatives , however there’s a lot of plywood in those boats ,plywood house ,decks ,plywood Portuguese bridge covered with a thin layer of fiberglass for waterproofing that’s all I’m gonna say

Thanks,

I was aware of that prior to buying.

And after owning it for 21 years, I have most of the issues resolved or restored.

I knew Roger's. He kept his Bluewater in Gig Harbor, WA. He was one of many Bluewater dealers.

Back
Top Bottom