View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
nautibeaver

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Updating the Electronics

Do you want MFD based system or a computer based system? Lots of options. What is the budget?

You can spend 2k to 50k depending on your needs.

Personally I have a 10" Furuno based system (Flybridge system), with two Mac Mini's running 3x21" screens and 2 copies of Nobletec. Furuno VHF blackbox (pilot house), standard horizon vhf with AIS (Flybridge), furuno HD radar, Furuno DFF1 sounder, multiple touch screens (chetco 5.7" switch and NMEA 2k display) iPads running NMEA remote for Flybridge display coming from chetco NMEA 2k to wireless gateway. Chetco sea switch analog engine gateway and analog switch system for ship controls.

I can pretty much do everything but start my engines from my iPhone.

On the flip side you can get a pretty good Garmin system with sounder, transducer, GPS, radar for about 4k.

I'm a gadget geek and started fresh so I built the what I am pretty happy with. I love the nobletec system and the large displays, I like the remote/wifi features and using 300$ iPads as displays (I have 6 of them all over the boat showing weather, cameras, switch controls, and showing mapping data). I might consider a different alarm/engine monitoring system if I had it to do again, but all else is good.

I am helping a buddy who has a 36' bayliner and wants a good but economical system. I am recommending a Garmin system with iPad for Flybridge running Garmin Helm/blue charts system. 4-5k including radar, side/down vue sounder, and 8" touch screen display, transducer. Hard to beat feature price comparison of that.

Everyone has their favorite and it likely is what ever they just dropped big bucks for, including me, but from what research I did, you want solid, go Furuno, you want ease of use and good features, go Garmin. If you have a laptop or have room for large monitors, pretty tough to beat features of Nobletec.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote